language logic

hkhlcq

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:30 pm
Is it acceptable to say "prevent people from committing crime"? I hardly think so, because it is rare that people would commit crime as a whole. Am I right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 520 • Replies: 11

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 09:18 pm
@hkhlcq,
You are. I don't know the context, but maybe "prevent someone from committing a crime" would work.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 09:27 pm
Then again, we talk about Crime Prevention efforts....not A Crime Prevention
Effort..................................
hkhlcq

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 01:49 am
@glitterbag,
What is the difference between "Crime Prevention efforts" and "A Crime Prevention Effort"? Thanks!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 02:15 am
@hkhlcq,
100% acceptable.
"People" is most generally is synonymous with "someone" or the more clumsy " some persons". There is no "whole" implied by the context of committing crime.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 07:21 am
@hkhlcq,
Regardless of my "0" grade, and at the risk of having verbal chalk thrown at me, I stand by my reply to you. I understand the "logic" of your question.
To my understanding, "synonymous" means that words have the same meaning and that they are somewhat interchangeable. Insofar as "people" being synonymous with "someone", I must disagree. To my knowledge, "people" means more than one person, and "someone" means "one person".
I would say "Someone stole my car." I would not say "People stole my car."
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 07:50 am
@hkhlcq,
I agree with Fresco, it is completely acceptable... For example (in a complete sentence), "They believe that this new police policy will prevent people from committing crime".
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 08:43 am
@hkhlcq,
I understood what you meant about people as a whole committing crime. Indeed, the example sentence would be acceptable. However, logically, it would mean "...prevent 'some' people from committing crime."
fresco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 11:15 am
@Ponderer,
Current semantic theory* stresses the issue of 'context'. Context governs my choice of 'synonymous' in this instance. Suggesting an extension of the context leads to confusion.

*If interested, look up 'linguistic non representationalism'.
Ponderer

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 12:22 pm
@fresco,
Yeah, I'll get right on that.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 08:49 pm
@hkhlcq,
Consider the definition of "people"

people
/ˈpiːp(ə)l/
noun
human beings in general or considered collectively.
"the earthquake killed 30,000 people"
synonyms: human beings, persons, individuals, humans, mankind, humankind, the human race, Homo sapiens, humanity, the human species, mortals, (living) souls, personages, men, women, and children; More

Quote:
Is it acceptable to say "prevent people from committing crime"?

Yes it is, and the expression is quite popular.

Quote:
I hardly think so, because it is rare that people would commit crime as a whole.

The definition is not confined to the entire human race.
0 Replies

A widow

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 05:28 pm
@hkhlcq,
I think it is appropriate because 'people' is pleural. Multiple people in the world do commit crimes (unfortunately). So no worries in your expression, or another version would be ok also.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » language logic
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 03:32:16