CHARLES DICKENS

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:31 pm
I was just reading today about Francis Trollope and her take on the US. A piece in the NYer, by Simon Schama, on the history of european opinion on the US. M'self, I haven't read any Trollopes. Yet.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:43 pm
The Schama piece was really about British takes on the US since he didn't deal with DeTocqueville or DeCrevecoeur.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:51 pm
I am deep into THE PICKWICK PAPERS and loving it. Amazing that Dickens was only 24 when he wrote it. What a prodigy he was! As a sheer comic tour de force I don't think there's anything in English to surpass PICKWICK.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:14 am
I didn't remember this as wholly an British take on things, and glanced back at the article, which is in the Mar 10 New Yorker. Sure enough he mentions a Norwegian, an English radical, the French, the twenty-three year old Scot, a German poet, a Dutch naturalist...and I stop there w/o going further.

Well, I read fairly lightly, LarryR, I need to look several times to absorb a lot of data and spout it back, but this is at hand.

I brought the piece up in reference to the surname Trollope.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:37 am
That's his mommy, Osso. The book is wonderful. (My NYorkers arrive by donkey, so I haven't seen the Schama piece yet but there's another writer I admire a whole lot. See Landscape and Memory...)
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:33 am
You may be right, Ossobuco, but my point is still valid...Schama didn't deal with the most significant foreign view of America in the 19th century, which was Alexis de Tocqueville's DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA, a book which continues to be relevant to this day.
0 Replies