Should the Pledge Of Allegiance be mandatory?

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:39 am
@maxdancona,
religious objections? Is it the "under god" part? I'd be fine with removing that part.

It teaches standing up for 2 minutes and mumbling along with the rest of the group. I have said the Pledge of Allegiance thousands of times and I do not believe I have ever once believed that it taught "conformity and unquestioning allegiance."

There is nothing wrong with having allegiance to the USA. It's a great country filled with great people and every American citizen should have allegiance to it. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.
engineer

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:57 am
@McGentrix,
It depends on whether you think the pledge has meaning or not. If you believe that it doesn't have any meaning, that it is something akin to a nursery rhyme that is part of our culture, then there is no harm, but also no benefit. Why would you write a law to mandate teaching a certain nursery rhyme? If you think that a pledge of allegiance in general is a meaningful act, much like swearing an oath, then it should be voluntary and should be done only after educating the oath taker about what they are swearing allegiance to.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:59 am
@engineer,
I do not see a reason to make a law about this kind of thing... If that is the discussion, I would oppose any actual law making it a requirement. We have so much govt intrusion now, we don't need more.

However, should a school use the Pledge every day, that also should not be shouted down by some loud mouthed parent.
engineer

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 08:08 am
@McGentrix,
I agree with both statements . I do think that if a child chooses not to say the pledge and is not disruptive about it, that is fine also. A single parent can't make a decision for all the students and the school can't force a child to make a pledge they likely don't understand against their will.

I remember one student in middle school who was from a different country, living in the US. He just sat through the pledge.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 08:19 am
@McGentrix,
There are two religious objections of.Quakers Jehovah's Witnesses and similar groups come from two places (a branch of my family is traditional Quaker and I have some experience with Jehovah's Witnesses)

1) Many people interpret the pledge as a contradiction of Jesus' prohibition of oaths in Matthew 5.

2) For some it is impossible to pledge alliegence to both the Kingdom of God and an earthly government. There are Bible passages to support this including in 1 Timothy.

Arguing about other people's religious beliefs is troublesome. But I do have some experience in this world. These arent social justice warriors ... in fact many churches that object to the pledge are also teaching that women should be submissive to their husbands. These are traditional religious views.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 01:06 pm
Wikipedia has a brief summary of the history of objections to the pledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Pledge_of_Allegiance
roger

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 01:22 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, but would you say that if your kids had gone through school in, say, Alabama?
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:39 pm
@roger,
That's a fair question. With a tally of 101 to NINE, exactly how will that go?

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 05:22 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah, but would you say that if your kids had gone through school in, say, Alabama?

Nope but it would depend on which school in Alabama say same thing as in MA - yeah believe it or not MA has some more "redneck" areas as well.

Most kids do not even listen to the words - they simply memorize and recite it. In reality the whole thing is a joke - the adults think they are pushing the kids to "respect" their flag/country while doing this - while other adults think like some one here you are forcing kids to just comply. In reality the kids are just mumbling because it is another stupid thing you are supposed to do in school to avoid getting in trouble.

Everyone on either side is making much more of it than the majority of kids even care.
0 Replies

fortbort

Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 10:55 am
Schools should focus on educating.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 01:21 pm
@rajvirsingh,
rajvirsingh wrote:

The pledge is respect for our founders If you have any respect for the USA and our founders you will stand for the pledge. I am a middle school student and I am NOT religious but I stand for the pledge because I am an American and I am proud of the USA. IF YOU DO NOT STAND FOR THE PLEDGE YOU DO NOT HONOR THE USA

Nonsense as a force pledge is one worst then meaningless and second it is against the very ideals of the founders.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 01:33 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Wikipedia has a brief summary of the history of objections to the pledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Pledge_of_Allegiance

I never had for myself have a problem with taking the pledge however I did have a problem with the mandatory listening to the reading of the bible and then taking part in a short prayer that was called for at that time in the NJ school
systems.

If I had thought about it at the time however I would likely had said that a force pledge and or statement is worthless on it face.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:49:33