Back Child Support

dlux

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 03:58 pm
My ex-husband and I divorced 7 years ago in Colorado. At the time I was ordered to pay child support. However, at the time, my ex said that if I paid all the kids bills, i didn't have to pay him. I've been doing that ever since. Now he is threatening to take me to court for back child support. Does anyone have any experience with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 348 • Replies: 3

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 07:58 pm
US divorce court?

You and your ex had no authority to circumvent a court ordered child support directive with your own negotiations.

Hope you kept receipts of all your paid child expenses.

I can’t believe that the court didn’t track you down all this time. Your ex will now have to take you to court.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 11:38 pm
@dlux,
You need to contact a lawyer who is familiar with Colorado divorce contracts.
Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 07:05 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

You need to contact a lawyer who is familiar with Colorado divorce contracts.

agreed - and in the mean time gather all evidence (receipts, canceled checks, bank statements) of what you paid - also if you emailed, texted, etc anything that you might have that supports you made such an agreement.

It might or might not help your situation but whatever you can provide that supports your agreement with your ex otherwise it could be a "he said, she said" sort of thing with no evidence.

In the future follow precisely what the court orders so you do not get in this situation again. I am guessing you were probably doing what you felt was right by the children which is great, but unfortunately when it comes to money some people can just simply get greedy and take advantage.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Back Child Support
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:23:34