Could 'awry' substitute for either of the words in boldface?

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2019 06:02 am
IN what seems like the blink of an eye, the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government will soon complete its first year in power.

Although it was not all rosy and glamorous, most had hoped that it would have learnt, among others, that flashy and populist manifestos are not necessarily easy to implement or good for the country.

Among many things that have gone haywire or astray, I would just focus on the National Higher Education Fund Corporation or commonly known as PTPTN, which has seen some flip-flops. Perhaps, this arose when decisions were made without proper study or knowing the actual financial status of the nation’s coffers.

Could 'awry' substitute for either of the words in boldface?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 193 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2019 10:28 am
@tanguatlay,
since both haywire and astray mean pretty much the same thing (something out of control)Awry is a more precise word that covers both "out of control and "something gone wrong", and its concise and precise , as ELmore Leonard would have said.

BTW "haywire" is a 19th century American rural term.Maybe , like Brit colloquialisms in the US, it wont be automatically "gotten" without requiring the reader from, say, Kerala, to look it up in an urban dictionary. I think its a bit more polite to try to be more inclusive for your readers with more universal choices of words (just my thoughts on it).

Actually haywire and astray arent WRONG, their just repetitive and one is a localism.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2019 10:30 am
@tanguatlay,
isnt there a better choice than flip-flop, unless this is a campaign speech
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2019 10:50 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, fisherman.

It's a campaign speech.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Could 'awry' substitute for either of the words in boldface?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:33:18