Auto Tariffs as Punishment for Drug/Human Trafficking

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 09:40 am
If Mexico makes money exporting cars to the US as well as from traffickers who export drugs and humans, is it a sensible tactic to force traffickers to choose between drug/human trafficking and car 'trafficking' to lucrative US markets?

One problem I can think of is: what if drug/human traffickers just don't care if the US raises auto tariffs as retaliation for drug/human trafficking? Can we assume that the economic interests that want to export cars to the US are strong enough to gain control over those that want to export drugs and humans?

Or should we be optimistic and expect a decrease in drug/human trafficking will occur to avert more auto tariffs . . . and avert the wall from being built?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 557 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 08:11 pm
@livinglava,
Study facts, not what Trump says.
livinglava

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 08:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Study facts, not what Trump says.

This is not about 'facts' or 'not facts.' It is a simple ultimatum: stop drug/human trafficking or face auto import tariffs.

Now, bring in the facts that speak to what the outcome of the ultimatum will be:

Will drug/human trafficking stop or even subside? If not, what will the effect of the auto tariffs be?

Once the auto tariffs hit, will efforts to stop drug/human trafficking be stepped up to try to bring a stop to the tariffs?

Or will there be political warfare against the tariffs that ignore the task of stopping the drug/human trafficking. This is what I suspect will happen, since this seems to be the general approach taken by Trump's opponents; i.e. ignore the drug/human trafficking and just focus negative attention on Trump in order to try to replace him with someone who just ignores drug/human trafficking as something that can't be stopped.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 10:50 pm
@livinglava,
Get your facts; most illegal drugs come through normal ports of entry, not through the southern border. https://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2019/jan/14/nita-lowey/majority-opioids-come-us-through-points-entry-lowe/. Your trust in Trump is an amazing thing in this day and age, when Politifact and other credible sources shows he lies most of the time.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:32 pm
@livinglava,
I don't see how raising taxes on Americans counts as a "retaliation for drug/human trafficking". Auto tariffs are a tax on American consumers.

Add to this the fact that a trade war hurts workers on both sides since Mexico will feel the need to add tariffs to American products. Of course this will make China happy.

0 Replies