Should music be edited at school dances?

fredjones

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:17 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Kids can listen to anything they want, anytime, but somebody has to take care
of the poor parents and make sure their minds aren't damaged by such music.

Older folks just aren't used to it. They have a hard time adapting to life, and it can
really stunt their development if they hear something that makes them worry.

When an album says "Parental Discretion" just be a little discrete when
a vulnerable parent is in the area. That's all.
Why not be kind, and help the older folks get along?

I love it, Code. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:02 am
CodeBorg - not sure how old you are, but if you are under 30, I have a rude awakening for you….People over 30 were once under 30. We were young and crazy once too. I have pictures of me (I think I was just a little over 30 actually) that would shock you - my children too. For obvious reasons, I will keep them away from my children until they are much older, possibly married and with children of their own. Then I will confess that I was once a crazy young single person too and whip out the pictures as evidence. In the mean time, I will continue to let them think I am a boring virgin (how did I have children) that never heard or spoke a swear and never ever did anything wrong.

Us over 30 adults really know how to pull the wool over youngsters eyes. Just wonder what your parents are doing when the kiddies are out at the dances…maybe not we love to keep it a secret. But what is important is that us adults over 30 remember what it was like to be a teenager or even younger adult. I think sometimes the over 30 crowd blocks that out or remembers things differently.

I certainly agree with you thinkfactory. You cannot complain after the fact - also if you have good open communication with your children throughout their life, then I am sure that even the unedited versions of the music will not harm them. Even at the young ages of my children 2 and 6, whatever they are subject to we discuss. For example, I do not like the use of the word stupid - so we tell my children not to use it - use a different word. So whenever on TV or even a song they hear that word, they will say - s/he said stupid. I explain to them that sometimes even nice people will say a bad word, but it is still not nice. We should not try to say such things, instead say silly. Or something along those lines. I realize that children of any age are going to be exposed to things you may not approve, but by discussing it in an age appropriate way and pointing out that you do not approve, I feel is more beneficial than even editing out such things.
fredjones

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:25 pm
Linkat:

I enjoyed your post. It gives some validity to your claims that censoring in this case might be justified (although that is not necessarily your claim).
Code makes an excellent point (or at least what I got out of it), and I think that you do as well.
Here are my thoughts on the issue.

I do not believe that bad words hurt children. Knowledge of a bad word, or use of it does not inherently change the child for better or worse. But what it does do is affect the parents that believe that children should exhibit innocent and angelic qualities. When children swear, it is not affecting them or their peers. It offends the parents that believe that children should not say those things.

Saying "stupid" does not harm your children. Hearing them say it does harm your sensibilities. It is important to distinguish that (although it is still a valid complaint) you are protecting yourself, not your children. Especially since they will eventually say "stupid" in the near future whether you like it or not.

Linkat wrote:
I realize that children of any age are going to be exposed to things you may not approve, but by discussing it in an age appropriate way and pointing out that you do not approve, I feel is more beneficial than even editing out such things.

I completely agree with you. Discussion of the issue is the best medicine. After all, it isn't the words that these adults are finding so offensive. Good topic.
0 Replies

heartbreaker98

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:53 am
@Bella Dea,
oh my god i love this song so PUCKING much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:59 am
None of this is new. I doubt this is on the banned list.

Bodies by The Sex Pistols

She was a girl from Birmingham
She just had an abortion
She was a case of insanity
Her name was Pauline she lived in a tree

She was a no-one who killed her baby
She sent her letters from the country
She was an animal
She was a bloody disgrace

Body I'm not an animal
Mummy I'm not an abortion

Dragged on a table in a factory
Illegitimate place to be
In a packet in a lavatory
Die little baby screaming

Body screaming ******* bloody mess
It's not an animal it's an abortion

Body I'm not an animal
Body I'm not an abortion

Throbbing squirm, gurgling bloody mess
I'm not a discharge I'm not a loss in
Protein I'm not a throbbing squirm Ah!

**** this and **** that
**** it all and **** the ******* brat
She don't wanna baby that looks like that
I don't wanna baby that looks like that.

Body I'm not an animal
Body I'm not an abortion

Mummy! Ugh!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:33 am
@Linkat,
My daughter when she was 4 or 5, had a favorite song that had this line.

"Tell him, if he's got the beef. I'm a vegetarian and I'm not f***in scared of him". She must of heard this song with her teenaged cousins.

She sang this line, perfectly enunciated and uncensored one day. At first I was shocked. I asked her "what did you sing?".

She answered "don't worry daddy, it just means I am not 'very' scared of him". This made me laugh, because in that context she was perfectly correct. I explained that we don't use that word because it upsets people. She doesn't appear to be permanently scarred from being exposed to this.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:34 am
@Linkat,
What are you doing Linkat!!!!

Don't you know our under 30 kids might be reading this?
0 Replies

nightroller2k

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:46 am
@Linkat,
I am a student, and despite the extreme amounts of lewd references in contemporary music, I find it disgusting to have to listen to music that has such references. Not only does is bring up lewd imagery to mind that I would rather not think of, but what's worse is that, at school dances, we students aren't allowed to leave the building and then go back in, so I can't escape a given song.
Additionally, I find that those vulgar words, whether sexually intended or not, are crude. There are more sarcastic and intellectual insults to use than these taboos of society. I wish that more people would screw on their head right and realize that it's not just parents that are against a lot of this music. I personally, and a few people I know my age, don't find those kinds of songs appropriate for dancing, especially if you have a partner who might take offense if you are enjoying the music to particular lyrics.
It's hard for many dastardly cretins with less intelligence than the chickens I raise to understand some of these things, but at least my chickens follow me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:30 am
On Christmas Day 1977 the Sex Pistols had a Christmas Party/ concert for the kids whose dads were out on strike. They didn't censor anything, including Bodies.

"Bodies"

She was a girl from Birmingham
She just had an abortion
She was case of insanity
Her name was Pauline, she lived in a tree

She was a no one who killed her baby
She sent her letters from the country
She was an animal
She was a bloody disgrace

Body! I'm not an animal
Body! I'm not an animal

Dragged on a table in factory