was taught vs had been taught

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:49 am
Traditional Taekwon-do is the original Taekwon-do martial art that was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan since the 1960s.

Shouldn't it be, "had been taught" instead of "was taught"?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 325 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:27 am
has been taught since the 1960s
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:36 am
@tanguatlay,
Or "was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan in the 60's". It depends on whether the Grandmaster is still teaching or not.
VikramSidhu

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:43 am
@engineer,
nice posttt
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 07:22 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Or "was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan in the 60's". It depends on whether the Grandmaster is still teaching or not.
BS Huan passed on about five years ago. That's why I think "had been taught" is correct.
engineer

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:00 am
@tanguatlay,
I think "had been taught" is awkward. I would go with "Traditional Taekwon-do is the original Taekwon-do martial art that was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan in 1960s." This could be interpreted as it was taught in the 60's but fell out of use. To avoid that interpretation, you could also go with "Traditional Taekwon-do is the original Taekwon-do martial art that was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan starting in 1960s".
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:25 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Traditional Taekwon-do is the original Taekwon-do martial art that was taught by Grandmaster BS Huan since the 1960s.

I think "had been taught" should be used instead of "was taught" because "since" is used in the later part of the sentence. Am I correct?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:59 pm
@tanguatlay,
"Was" is simple past tense. "Had been" is past tense referring to a past time. If your point of reference is the present you say "was" or "has been". If your point of reference is a time in the past you say "had been".
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:16 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

"Was" is simple past tense. "Had been" is past tense referring to a past time. If your point of reference is the present you say "was" or "has been". If your point of reference is a time in the past you say "had been"

Thanks, Jewels Vern.

Regarding the "was" in bold, do you mean "is" instead?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 08:39 pm
@tanguatlay,
" TKD had been taught"... to me, implies that someone else took over his teaching in the interim. I guess that was the case, he retired some time ago, ne?
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 09:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

" TKD had been taught"... to me, implies that someone else took over his teaching in the interim. I guess that was the case, he retired some time ago, ne?
No, he passed away about 5 years ago.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » was taught vs had been taught
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:29:10