Horn Concertos

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
What are some of the famous horn concertos, and who is today's most famous horn player. I know Mozart and Hayden wrote some horn concertos, but it seems rare they are ever played in a serious classical concert.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:16 am
If by horn you mean the commonly understood usage in orchestral music circles--that is, the french horn--then yes, sadly, they do not get played very often. Mozart wrote four horn concertos, and Haydn at least two (perhaps more, i only know of two).

If you mean "brass" in general, then i would point out that one of the best recordings of Haydn's trumpet concerto (the best in my opinion) is the Wynton Marsalis performance.

My brother plays french horn, trumpet, cornet and piano. I've heard the horn concerti of Mozart and Haydn since i was a very small boy. Haydn's second horn concerto's adagio is one of the most hauntingly beautiful passages in his composition . . .
0 Replies