car door owner

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 05:28 am
A beggar in Bogor, West Java, has gained online attention after a photo of him opening a car door, which turned out to be his, went viral on social media on Tuesday.

Does "a car door" imply that the beggar owns only the car door?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 298 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 03:08 pm
@tanguatlay,
It most likely means that he owns the car.
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 05:04 pm
@tanguatlay,
Oh i get it, you can interpret the language to mean he only owns the car door, and yes, according to the rules of the English language, you can rightly interpret it that way. However, sprinkle a little common sense on top and we easily understand what they really mean - he owns the car.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 08:30 pm
A bigger Bogor beggar Bugatti buggerer then keyed the car.
mystikmind

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 08:32 pm
@nacredambition,
Must have been a Kia, 'keyer'
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 09:00 pm
Thanks to all of you.

Would it be better if the sentence is recast as follows to remove ambiguity?

A beggar in Bogor, West Java, has gained online attention after a photo of him opening the door of a car, which turned out to be his, went viral on social media on Tuesday.

mystikmind

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 09:24 pm
@tanguatlay,
So you want to talk about how naughty he was? Well, he is literally stealing money out of the hands of the poorest of the poor, so, Yea!

Even in my country Australia, which is relatively well off.... i would sometimes see a story on TV about some poor family loosing their home... and then i see their shiny new car parked in the driveway! I am supposed to feel sorry for them? I have always owned **** bomb old cars but at least i can pay my rent.... so no, i do not feel sorry for those arseholes with the shiny new car getting kicked out of their home.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 11:00 pm
Thanks to all of you.

Would it be better if the sentence is recast as follows to remove ambiguity?

A beggar in Bogor, West Java, has gained online attention after a photo of him opening the door of a car, which turned out to be his, went viral on social media on Tuesday.

Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 11:34 pm
@tanguatlay,
Yes, it would avoid ambiguity if rewritten as you have shown.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 01:33 am
@tanguatlay,
I think the first sentence is fine. If he only owned a car door, and not a whole car, he wouldn't be able to open it. A car door needs to be connected to something, usually a car, to be opened. If it's on its own it can't be opened, just moved.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » car door owner
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:48:05