Google Unveils "Search History" Feature

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
Quote:
A new feature offered by the Internet search leader invites people to save and view all the Web searches they conduct at Google.

Launched in trial form Wednesday, Google's "my search history" is designed as a kind of Internet memory aid, giving people new ways to find information they previously saw online and to repeat previous searches.

The search history is an optional feature that requires people to sign in, so Google can store their searching histories online and make them available later from any computer where they might sign in. People who already have an e-mail address from Google's Gmail site or have registered at its Google Groups site can use those log-ins; anyone can also sign up for a new account (www.google.com/searchhistory).

This history feature is surprisingly detailed, showing not only what terms you entered into Google's search box before, but also which matching Web sites you clicked on, along with date and time stamps. A calendar view lets you browse through previous searches chronologically as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11111-2005Apr23.html

I think that the whole thing is pretty handy. Usually, when I find something interesting, I put it in my "favorites". But sometimes I forget, and then have to figure out what it was that I found. This service would put an end to that head scratching. The service allows you to remove searches of which you are no longer interested.

Oh yeah, if I can access my history, so can Google, and there goes another bit of privacy, but I don't care. I don't go anywhere on the net, that I would not want published in the New York Times.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 608 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:43 am
The privacy angle is something that is making the rounds these days. I think it's overblown.

Rememeber, that Google has had access to this for a long time now, they are simply providing you with this information now.

The only real addition to the privacy risk for individuals is tying the searches to a Google username.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
Marking, Phoenix.

Aside to Craven:

That avatar is the most artistic one that you have ever shown.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:55 am
good grief. I mean the one that looked like a sketch.

I don't have G-mail, Phoenix, but I can locate some things through a history search, and I still add articles to favorites.

Funny, though. I was looking for Homer and Jethro parodies yesterday, and found three old posts on A2K.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
Craven- True. There probably IS no privacy anymore, but I really don't give a damn.

Letty- If you want a G Mail account, PM me your E Mail address, and I will send you an invitation. When I first got it, I rarely used it, cause it was plain vanilla. Lately, they have added some bells, whistles and color, so I will start using it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:36 pm
Thanks, honey. I will send you an e-mail about it, if you don't mind.
0 Replies