So we adopted a dog

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 02:21 pm
After trying to adopt another schipperke and having difficulty, I found one come through on my email. It was a mix and supposedly mostly schip. Well she is home for over a week and I am afraid (not in a bad way) that we are surprised I think she may be more German Shepard than Schip.

She was found about 12 weeks old left outside in the cold and rain at night. Someone found her and called this agency - they foster dogs until someone adopts them.

Well who could resist - she is now about 15 weeks old and a bit bigger than we expected - but she is sweet and lovable and she tears up the house along with our shih tzu.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 454 • Replies: 14
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
Happy days and her name is ......
Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 05:12 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

................................. Parasite?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 06:16 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Sadie
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 04:10 am
@Linkat,
Nice name.

Here's another Sadie.

Time to book them piano lessons.
Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 04:59 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Cute my Sadie is all black and a terror...in a good way. The vet thinks she could get as big as 36 or 37 pounds. Schips are usually about 15 pounds.

On the positive side she is very receptive to training which schips take much more patience on training so this should be a breeze.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 05:10 am
@Linkat,
Fine dog the Shep, very protective. shame about the hip problems the breed seems to suffer. Hopefully being a crossbreed Sadie will avoid that.

Good luck.
Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 06:25 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Fine dog the Shep, very protective. shame about the hip problems the breed seems to suffer. Hopefully being a crossbreed Sadie will avoid that.

Good luck.

Well she should be significantly smaller and more compact which I think would help with any hip problems. The schip breed typically does not have many medical issues that they are prone to. She looks like a small black German shepard - however Schips are basically a small Belgian Shepard so this could be why she has the German Shepard look as well.

The kicker she has a blue tongue - although I did see that believe it or not German Shepards and some other breeds can have a blue tongue (not just Chows).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 09:21 am
Good for you. Sadie is a lucky girl, and young enough to have good shot at a happy life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 06:27 pm
@Linkat,
Great news about Sadie!

A Schipperke/Shepherd mix could turn out to be a fabulous fabulous cross. Shepherd brains + Schip attitude will definitely keep you on your toes Smile Could be a great dog for agility after basic training is completed. Schips are def one of my fav spitzes. I've always dreamed of finding one through a rescue.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 07:24 pm
That's wonderful news, we love living with doggies.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 10:21 pm
@Linkat,
I know of two breeds othr than Chows qith blu tongus. One of them , I assume is not yours. It is a Jersey Cow, so thats probably ot (unlless it has really fabulous yes, and hooves and curly horns)

The other is a Keeshond. (When I worked for a vet hen I was a kid, w used to get these Keeshond's with almost BLACK tongues. They were mean feisty batards mostly because they walked all over their owners and the dogs were just evil. I hope that was a dog/owner problem
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 11:20 pm
@Linkat,
I congratulate you on the new addition to your family. I'm also green with envy. German shepherds are a great breed and my favorite (a holdover from when I watched Rin Tin Tin when I was a kid).

Schipperkes are lovable and fun. A great combination.

Did I mention that I'm green with envy? I am. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Waify2

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 05:01 am
@Linkat,
Reading this is just exactly what I needed to warm my heart. A good reminder that not all people are bio-trash.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 07:02 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Great news about Sadie!

A Schipperke/Shepherd mix could turn out to be a fabulous fabulous cross. Shepherd brains + Schip attitude will definitely keep you on your toes Smile Could be a great dog for agility after basic training is completed. Schips are def one of my fav spitzes. I've always dreamed of finding one through a rescue.

Agility are you kidding me! The first time I had to leave the two doggies alone, I set up in my office for the new pup (has a wide opening so I put a gate and the crate to block it). Then in our sunroom I left the little guy - where we typically leave him - I had the typical kid gate.

I went out - wasn't too long a half hour and there walking into the sunroom were BOTH dogs. Sadie managed to find her way out of the office - she worked that gate until she was able to squeeze through and was able to climb/jump the other gate.

End of that - now I need to put them both in the sunroom and Sadie in the crate when I need to leave them. She is just too athletic and savvy.

I also love schips and had been trying for over a year to adopt one.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » So we adopted a dog
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.47 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:48:33