Is a comma after Johor required?

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 01:47 pm
update: Riot police called in at results centre

Riot police have been called in at the Ayer Hiram results centre, Johor on Wednesday evening.

Crowds were seen stopping unmarked cars from entering and people were gathered around cars and were chanting “Bersih” and gesturing at the vehicles.

There are rumours the election commission has refused to sign off a victory for the opposition.

After the riot police arrived, officers formed a protective formation around the cars, pushing the crowd back.

Is a comma after Johor required?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 229 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 05:32 pm
@tanguatlay,
If Johor is a location, then, yes, it should be followed by a comma.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 06:06 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

If Johor is a location, then, yes, it should be followed by a comma.
Thanks, Roberta.

Johor is a location.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 01:44 am
@Roberta,
It's a state in Malaysia.
Roberta

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 04:08 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 04:34 am
@Roberta,
I had to google it myself. Initially I thought it might be in Algeria, lots of unrest there at the moment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 08:47 am
So, actually, I think this is wrong, but this comma rule is a pain in the ass.

The comma rule in place is the Comma Used to Set Off Non-essential Words or Phrases. The problem in some cases is it’s up for debate which phrases or words are essential to the meaning of the sentence.

Like this:
Essential: The sixth-century philosopher Boethius was arrested, tortured, and bludgeoned to death. (word)

Nonessential: Company managers, seeking higher profits, hired temporary workers to replace full-time staff. (phrase)

Essential: The person checking tickets at the counter asked for a form of identification. (phrase)

Nonessential: My uncle, who is eighty years old, walks three miles every day. (clause)

Essential: The woman who interviewed you is my sister. (clause)

Source:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/punctuation/commas/commas_with_nonessential_elements.html

Riot police have been called in at the Ayer Hiram results centre, Johor on Wednesday evening.

If you think the specific name of the Ayer Hiram results center must be named so that you know exactly what location you’re talking about, no commas around; if you think any idiot should be aware that the AH results center is widely known as Johor, set it off on both sides by commas.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is a comma after Johor required?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:45:45