Adoption: Our family's story

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:33 pm
I've written the below post to illustrate that not all adoptions work out for the best. Due to it's episodic length, I've glossed over many things. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

My wife and I decided to adopt a child back in 1983. We already had a daughter by birth who was born in 1980 and we wanted a second child. For a variety of medical issues, we were not able to have another child by birth.

Due to the length of the waiting list, we had to be very flexible as to the age of the child. Not many children were available under the age of 1. Plus, we opted to consider "special needs" children, as those without any issues were scarce.

Right from the start, we were told by Social Services that we would need to travel somewhat within our province (B.C.), once tentative selections were made. Due to privacy issues, it was not possible to adopt in the immediate area of where one lived. We weren't happy about that, but accepted what we were told.

We had the usual home studies and background checks done. All was fine, although my age was going to be an issue if the waiting went on for a long time. I was 32 at the time, and at age 40 you would not be considered as a potential adoptive parent. This was at that time. I don't know if this restriction has now changed.

Anyways, we waited 3 1/2 years before our first child was offered to us. He was a native boy who had been abused and had suffered some burns. We were given all the pertainent details as to where he lived, etc. We were making preparations to do the visit. Then, we got a call that the boy was no longer available, as they found a "more suitable" couple. We never did get a proper accounting of that. We guessed it had to do with the lad's culture, and white couples were not the preferred choice.

So, another 6 months went by. I was now 36 and time was passing us by. Out of the blue we get a call that a white, mentally-challenged girl would be perfect for our family and that we were the preferred choice for the selection. Now here is the "kicker". She was located in a neighbouring city less than a 30 minute drive away. After being told that this sort of thing "never happens", it happened. At time, we didn't care that they bent the rules.

We go in for a meeting with the social worker that was assigned to us. She gives us a few more details, like the girl is 5 1/2 years old and some background. Another meeting is set up and we're sent to the social worker that was handling our potential adoptive daughter's case. Of course we're nervous.

Anyway, we arrive at the office of the "other social worker". There is a rather strange woman sitting in the waiting room who kept staring at us. We shrugged this incident off at the time, but I'll get back to this later. We are unexpectantly ushered very quickly to an office. The worker appears flustered.

We are told that this girl (her name is April) was apprehended at about age 2 from the parents, who also had mental health issues. The worker says she had many temper outbursts, but rarely had them at all anymore. So, from what we were told, my wife and I decided to go ahead to the next stage and set up an appointment to meet April. We were given the address of the foster parents.

Subsequently, the initial meeting came off alright, although we were not overly impressed with the foster parents and the environment in which April was living. It came out later that she was sharing a bedroom with the son of the parents. Also, their relationship to April didn't seem age-appropriate. They seemed to baby her a lot. After this, there were about another half dozen meetings, or so.

The foster mother was very talkative though. We gathered that April's social worker and her "coffee'd" together and a lot of small talk was exchanged. She told us that apparently, the rather strange woman sitting in the waiting room with the first meeting was none other than April's birth mother. No wonder the worker was flustered! We were not to know anything about the birth parents other than very general stuff. Also, the foster mother let it slip, that April had a sister called Melody, who was 2 years older than her. Melody (from what all we could gather) was a "normal child" and did not suffer from any of April's challenges. She also mentioned that this had been in the newspapers.

When my wife and I got home from that meeting we discussed this. I could vaguely remember a case that had made TV news several times. It had to do with Social Services apprehending this baby because it was felt that this mentally-challenged couple would not be able to properly raise a child. The curious type of guy that I am, I went to a library's newspaper archives and was able to find the relevant stories. Sure enough, there it was! I was shocked to find out that it was billed as the "longest running court case of it's kind" in BC history. The article was about Melody being apprehended (April's sister).

I followed up to see if there were more stories and came across another. It showed a photo of the birth mom and dad, and, of course, their last name. The story went on to say how the parents did not feel that they were ready for their first child, but subsequently, the mother was pregnant again. She was asked in the story after she gave birth, "What will you name the child?" "April Lee" was her answer. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end. We were the adoptive parents-to-be of this child. I can tell you, it was a very spooky feeling. Due to this case being in the media spotlight, we were able to find out all this background that was untold by Social Services. If nothing else, it gave us a more detailed explanation of April's situation.

Then, it came about that April's social worker asked us if we wanted to take her to our home to live, but we had to be sure that we would probably adopt her if we went ahead with this. We got the impression that she was really pushing this very fast (about 2-3 weeks from initial meeting). We asked several times to see the complete file on her, but was never made available to us to, what appeared to us, be a bogus reason. We were finally able to read it just before we did formally adopt her many months later. Well, we were told "off the record" that if we returned April to Social Services due to things not working out, that we would go to "the bottom of the list" and could be waiting another 3 years. We tried not to show our shock from this comment. Remember, my age would have been a factor shortly.

So, April came to live with us in October 1986. We all made big efforts to make sure that she felt part of the family, and our other daughter really liked the idea of having a younger sister. There was 2 years between them. Well, we soon found out that what we were told about rarely having temper outbursts was a complete fabrication. Also, her speech was very poor. It was difficult to make out her speech some times, but we got through it all. It required a great deal of patience on everybody's part.

One of the reasons we were considered for adoption was that my wife was a "stay-at-home-mom". It was a good thing, too, as April was like a full time job. Schooling was a huge challenge. Special needs education here is very patchwork. At least back then. She was a handful in the classroom, too. Many times teachers would call my wife and fill her in. April loved to feign illness. It wasn't until a little while down the road that all caught onto her tricks. The highlight of April's education was that we were able to successfully get her to read quite good. It was quite an accomplishment which the doctors said would probably never happen.

In July 1987, the adoption proceeded formally. April was given a new birth certificate that had our last name on it. Although we didn't really like the given names, "April Lee", we decided it would be best to stick with what she already knew, seeing her age and challenges. It wasn't until just before the adoption was finalized did we finally get to see the complete file on her.

It was packed with stuff that we really should have known in the beginning of this process. For example, April was apprehended at age 2. She languished in foster homes for 3 1/2 years! Apparently, a "deal" had been struck with the birth parents. April's sister, Melody, was taken virtually at birth. When the birth mother became pregnant again, due to the controversial nature of the first apprehension, Social Services said we will let you keep the second baby for now, with help, and only if you get your "tubes tied". Well, the long and short of this sad story is that it didn't work out, even with in-home help. My wife and I found this interesting though, in light of what had happened before and the deals that get made. We were smack dab in the middle of this stuff.

There was a report from a child pyschologist that was done when April was about 2. It stated that it was extremely important that she be placed as soon as possible. These were her formative years and, if not placed in a timely fashion, there would be bonding issues. Years later my wife and I re-discussed this and these words would come back to haunt us.

At the time of the adoption, there was a lot of political stuff going on with the government and the Social Services department in regards to spending cuts, etc. All this time, our worker made visits to our home, but there was no real help for us though. It was not until many years later that some help did come in the form of "respite care".

Then there were the umpteen trips to our Children's Hospital for all the various tests that she required. Everything from genetic to behaviourial tests. These were usually "all dayers" requiring me to take time off from work. It was quite exhausting to deal with.

During all this time, there was practically daily issues to deal with in the home in regards to April. Rarely a day went by that there wasn't trouble of some kind. The relationship between the daughters was wearing thin, despite good efforts. As parents, we were feeling burnt out. Our biggest regrets were that our birth daughter didn't get the kind of childhood that all kids should have with pleasant memories.

When April was about 16, we found out that we were eligible for some respite. This involved her staying at another home with a family that basically acted as a "very temporary foster care', for lack of a better name. We received 4 of these days per month. We were legally responsible for April until age 19, and she did live with us until that time. After that, we had decided that she would be living full time in another situation. We felt that we had more than fulfilled our reponsibilities.

It was Social Services' job to find her accomodation. Group homes did not want her, as they felt she would not fit in. Fortunately, for all involved, the family that did the temporary respite care, applied to have April stay in their home - a well-paid position, by the way. All that aside, they're good people, but like us, have also carried on to have much problems while April carries on into adulthood. She is on various medications to control outbursts and mood swings.

Years later, adoptive parents of special needs children were given extensive help so that the adoption doesn't break down and the child returned. We were never eligible for this help, as they refused to go retroactive. Very short-sighted, because now they are paying big-time with her being an adult.

April (now 23) cannot hold down any job of any kind. During the day, April attends an adult recreation program, sponsored by the community, for adults of various challenges. There are persons of varying ages there. Due to her problems, the program insists that Social Services provides a full time aid whose sole job is to deal with her.

My wife and I have very mixed feelings about April, and the adoption in general. Don't get us wrong, we love her. We still have regular contact, even though she no longer lives in our home, but for 13 1/2 years, we had terrible problems to deal with. Many times we have reviewed the past years. We feel that if only we had her at age 2, instead of 5 1/2, it might have made all the difference. It really wasn't the fact that she was mentally-challenged, but it was her behaviour that got her in constant trouble. Social Services was not a lot of help most times. We also felt that April's worker lied to us, and held back her file for good reasons. She was in 3 foster homes for 3 1/2 years, and then, "all of a sudden" it seems that there was this big push to get her off their books, so to speak.

This has been a difficult story for me to tell, but I thought it was an important one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 874 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:43 pm
By mentally challenged, do you mean that she has an intellectual disability, Reyn? I assume that you do.

That is a very sad story - and a not uncommon one.

You are right - her attachment history is appalling, which can only have added hugely to her pre-existing problems.

You will doubtless not be happy to hear that the system is even worse where I live.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:53 pm
dlowan wrote:
By mentally challenged, do you mean that she has an intellectual disability, Reyn? I assume that you do.

Yes, it appears to be the "correct phrase" to use nowadays. It's a 'no no' to use the word disabilties or the "R" word.

But, that was not the real issue. There were the constant behaviourial stuff that we had to deal with. She was smart enough to know that she was "different" and resented her own situation. In referring to others with her similar condition she would sometimes say, "Oh, but they look r******!" We never used that word in our household, by the way.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:12 pm
Reyn, I am so sorry to hear of your sorrow with April.

As you know, I have adopted my daughter from Social Services when she was 3 years old, and although she is now only 9 years old, I couldn't have better luck with a biological child. She is the most precious, charismatic, bright child there can be.

Of course we have behavior issues as well, but I guess that's
normal for any child as they push the envelope and see
how far they can go.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Adopting a child was
the best decision I've ever made.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:27 pm
Quite a story, Reyn. I don't know quite what to say. You've obviously been through more than I can imagine. (((HUGS)))
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:31 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Adopting a child was the best decision I've ever made.

Yes, probably. It depends on the pool of available children at the time, too.

Our family can't win "The Lottery", but what are the odds of ending up with a high profile adoption like we did? Rolling Eyes

We don't regret adopting, for the most part. It would have been nice to know the whole truth right from the start though. In our case, it was just a lot more than we bargained for.

Years later, by the way, the birth mother made contact to us via Social Services. Some letters and a photo was exchanged, but after awhile, April lost interest and it was her choice not to continue the contact. So, there is some bonding to us, but it's more of a possessive thing than out of love.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:35 pm
Eva wrote:
Quite a story, Reyn. I don't know quite what to say. You've obviously been through more than I can imagine. (((HUGS)))

Thanks! Sympathetic hugs are always appreciated. I will admit that there were times when I was writing the post that my eyes did tear up somewhat..... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:49 pm
I'm sure.

It really wasn't fair to you and your wife at all. On the bright side, being adopted by you was probably the best thing that ever happened to April. I'm sure you've done everything you can for her. Obviously, others didn't.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:25 am
Reyn--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:36 pm
Thank you, Reyn, for sharing your story with us.

It's heartbreaking on so many levels but it is also a great story of both courage and hope.

I read your story this morning and wanted to give it some time to sink in. I went to get my morning paper and the cover story was a long piece about a family here that fosters medically fragile and special needs kids; right now, they are taking care of nine kids. The article said Oregon needs more than 1,000 homes for kids like this and that there are less than 200 homes available.

I was thinking of your story in the context of the larger story of such desperate situations and I want you to know how bowled over I am by what you and your wife did, and I offer you my humblest thanks. Of all the possible outcomes for April, your appearance in her life is surely the most beautiful and beneficial.

I think it was terribly unfair for the state to not give you the information and support you needed.

A similar thing happened to friend's of my parents way back in the late 60s - they adopted a toddler and their lives became nightmarish; the child was incapable of empathy. When the adoption records were finally unsealed they discovered the horrifying details of this child's early life.

Sadly, it was too late, the boy had grown up and gone on to hurt other people and he was sent to prison.

The irresponsiblity and cruelty of his birth parents had forever damaged him. And that damage was passed on to his adopted parents and that damage was passed on to a few poor girls who crossed paths with this damaged boy.

So I already knew that not every adoption story has a happy ending.

And I'm so glad to know that there are still people out there who try to make a difference.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:29 pm
boomerang wrote:
Thank you, Reyn, for sharing your story with us..........

I can't tell you how long I agonized over writing this. I think in the end, I also did it for myself, as a catharsis.

Some may take this the wrong way, but it was such a relief when April turned 19. To not be responsible for her on a daily basis was a real weight off our shoulders. Now, when we see each other, the relationship is different - at least for us.

I think if we had known all the details from the start, we would have reconsidered our options a lot more. At the time, things seemed rather desparate. It might possibly had been our only child that would have been selected for us.

The sad part about this story is that (we believe) we were probably already on the waiting list when she needed a foster home when she was 2. We think it may have made a big difference in the adoption and how April's behaviour turned out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:54 pm
Of all sad words of tongue and pen
The saddest are, "It might have been."

What would have happened had she not become your daughter?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:01 pm
Reyn wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Thank you, Reyn, for sharing your story with us..........

I can't tell you how long I agonized over writing this. I think in the end, I also did it for myself, as a catharsis.

Some may take this the wrong way, but it was such a relief when April turned 19. To not be responsible for her on a daily basis was a real weight off our shoulders. Now, when we see each other, the relationship is different - at least for us.

I think if we had known all the details from the start, we would have reconsidered our options a lot more. At the time, things seemed rather desparate. It might possibly had been our only child that would have been selected for us.

The sad part about this story is that (we believe) we were probably already on the waiting list when she needed a foster home when she was 2. We think it may have made a big difference in the adoption and how April's behaviour turned out.

I have nothing to add, Reyn. Except that I can understand & sympathize with you. This has been really hard for all concerned. I'm mightily impressed that your family honoured its commitment in the face of so much difficultly.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:23 pm
That's so true Noddy!

Reyn, we as adoptive Parents always question ourselves
more than biological ones do, and from your perspective - having raised April already - the might have beens are
more prominent displayed and looking back you probably
would have done things differently, but thanks to you
and your wife, April did have a stable home and lots of love
for many many years. It might not have an impact now,
but in the years to come, it will reflect on her in a positive
manner.

Not many adoptive parents would tackle a "special needs"
child and provide for her as you have done. Just be proud
and admit to yourself that you have helped April more
than anyone else could have under those circumstances.

You are a good person and you have done good - more than
a large portion of society is willing to do. Feel good about
that!

------

I don't know how it is in other states, but California has
realized the problem of children being too long in the foster
care system before parental rights are relinquished, and
the child is open for adoption. In California, biological
parents whose children are in the foster care system, have a limited time only to appeal an adoption, (I don't remember, but it is not longer than 90 days) and if the courts find them still unfit to care for the child, the parental rights are relinquished permanently and the child will be placed for adoption.

Of course there are always pro/cons to such a limited
time frame, however in the best interest of the children,
the sooner they get out of foster care into adoption the
better.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 08:29 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
What would have happened had she not become your daughter?

That's a hard question to answer. Perhaps the next lot of adoptive parents on the waiting list would have been fine....or not. I will say this. There probably would have been a fair chance that someone else would have returned her to foster care after 6 months, and before the formal adoption was finalized.

Some of the things we had to endure was not so much violence (although we had our share of that, but more so just really difficult before. Quick example. She had to catch a school bus to go to her special class. If there were days that she didn't want to go to school, she would just sit on the ground and let the driver tap his toe while my wife would try to get her on the bus.... and she was no small kid either.

There is the possibility that she could have languished in foster home after foster home.

msolga wrote:
I'm mightily impressed that your family honoured its commitment in the face of so much difficultly.

Sometimes I can't believe how we got through it. My wife has much more patience than I did. I will say that it was down to her.

CalamityJane wrote:
It might not have an impact now,
but in the years to come, it will reflect on her in a positive
manner....

....You are a good person and you have done good - more than
a large portion of society is willing to do. Feel good about
that!

We often wonder as to what will become of her as she grows older. I suppose it will be like some of the older folks that we have seen in the adult recreation program. It's too bad that she is unable to hold down a job. It was tried, but didn't work out.

From time to time, the less affected persons from the program visit seniors at extended care units. I like this idea. Very much a win-win situation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 08:37 pm
Reyn--

When I married Mr. Noddy I acquired six stepsons and an assortment of foster children as well.

Life is hell when the anger belongs elsewhere, but it lands on you plate because the unhappy child trusts you.

The next people on the waiting list didn't have a magic wand, either.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Adoption: Our family's story
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:48:17