Shouldn't it be "quotes" instead?

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 07:04 am
Today reports the president of the Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology of Singapore, Dr Joseph Ng, as saying, “Parents think that if you vaccinate, that’s going to give their kids license to be sexually promiscuous. However, that’s been shown to be untrue in the United States. We know (the vaccine) doesn’t change sexual behavior at all.”

Shouldn't it be "quotes" instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 228 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 09:15 am
@tanguatlay,
Are you asking about the difference between "smart quotes" (the curvy quotes that are different for opening as they are for closing marks) and straight quotes (which are just little straight lines for both opening and closing)?

The first quotes (the smart ones) are correct. We use the straight quotes out of convenience. Most of us don't notice.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 09:20 am
@tanguatlay,
A side note... the "smart" quotes are a real pain in the ass for programmers. Compilers don't accept them in code and occasionally they cause other technical problems.

We generally turn off the smart quote feature completely and just use the technically simpler straight quotes. There is a fairly easy way to distinguish between writing English and writing code that would fix this issue... but we are too lazy to bother.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 09:21 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Are you asking about the difference between "smart quotes" (the curvy quotes that are different for opening as they are for closing marks) and straight quotes (which are just little straight lines for both opening and closing)?

The first quotes (the smart ones) are correct. We use the straight quotes out of convenience. Most of us don't notice.
I'm sorry, maxdancona. I forgot to highlight 'reports'.

Today reports the president of the Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology of Singapore, Dr Joseph Ng, as saying, “Parents think that if you vaccinate, that’s going to give their kids license to be sexually promiscuous. However, that’s been shown to be untrue in the United States. We know (the vaccine) doesn’t change sexual behavior at all.”

Shouldn't it be "quotes" instead of "reports"?

Thanks.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 09:30 am
@tanguatlay,
That's funny, I answered the wrong question Wink. You used smart quotes on top and straight quotes on the bottom. That confused me...

I prefer "reports" in this context.

On an unrelated noted, if I were editing this, I would want you to rephrase it to make the doctor the subject of the sentence. It would be something like.

Dr. Joseph Ng said "..... " as reported on Today.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 02:45 pm
@tanguatlay,
News organisations report the news, they don't quote the news. Report is correct.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 06:44 pm
Thanks to both of you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shouldn't it be "quotes" instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:23:02