The Freedom To Read Protection Act

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:49 am
Rep. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) has introduced The Freedom to Read Protection Act. It will reverse parts of the Patriot Act, as it pertains to libraries and bookstores. I had heard that the Patriot Act allowed unprecedented access to library and bookstore records, but didn't realize the feds have already exploited the opportunity.

I saw Rep. Sanders on CSpan2 BookTV last night introducing his legislation. A google news search turned up one link to this, so it isn't getting much publicity, yet anyway. E-mail or call your members of Congress if you think the passage of this legislation is important. There is one Republican who is co-sponsoring the bill, and more expected in the next few weeks. Below are portions of articles from Rep. Sanders website.

Published on 3/7/2003 in the National Journal

Legislation Would Change Rules on Access to Library Records
by Drew Clark

"The drive to reverse parts of the 2001 anti-terrorism law known as the USA PATRIOT Act began on Thursday, with Rep. Bernard Sanders filing a bill designed to shield libraries from revealing their patrons' records without evidence of criminal activity.

Sanders, I-Vt., said his bill would protect library patrons' freedom to read without fear that their records would be relinquished to the government. Under a provision in the current law, libraries and other business can be compelled to give the personal records to the FBI if law enforcement officials say they are relevant to an international terrorism investigation. Although excised from the House anti-terrorism bill by bipartisan agreement, the language remained in the Senate version that ultimately became law. The provision freed the FBI from having to demonstrate probable cause of criminal activity or of an individual's connection to a foreign power before getting the library records.

"This legislation will protect libraries, bookstores and their patrons from unjustified government surveillance into what books Americans are reading or buying and what Web sites they may be visiting when using a library computer," Sanders said in a press conference. "The threat of terrorism must not be used as an excuse by the government to intrude upon our basic constitutional rights."

Democratic Reps. Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas, Raul Grijalva of Arizona and Peter DeFazio of Oregon joined Sanders at the press conference. Texas Rep. Ron Paul is the only Republican among the 23 co-sponsors of the bill, but Sanders said he expects more.

"This is an issue, from a political perspective, where you will see some very strange bedfellows," he said.

The measure also would eliminate a provision that the American Library Association (ALA) has found odious. It prevents libraries from telling the patrons in question that they have provided records to the police. The bill also would mandate semi-annual reports from the Justice Department about the total number of orders made and granted under the section, and that provision would remain in effect for businesses that are not libraries and bookstores."

parts of Statement of Congressman Sanders 3/6/2003 re: FRPA

"Good afternoon, and thank you for joining us here today to announce the introduction of the Freedom to Read Protection Act - legislation which will protect, libraries, bookstores and their patrons from unjustified government surveillance into what books Americans are reading and buying, and what websites they may be visiting when using a library computer. . .

The tri-partisan legislation we are introducing today - called the Freedom to Read Protection Act - would protect the privacy and First Amendment rights of American citizens against unnecessary government intrusion. Specifically, this legislation will exempt libraries and bookstores from Section 215 of the so-called "Patriot Act." The Freedom to Read Protection Act is being introduced by 24 members of Congress including Republican Ron Paul of Texas, and Congressman John Conyers, the Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Committee . . .

. . .Section 215 does not just apply to terrorists or even foreigners or agents of foreign powers. Under Section 215 of the Patriot Act, the person whose records are being searched by the FBI can be anyone. The FBI doesn't even have to say that it believes the person is involved in criminal activity or that the person is connected to a foreign power.

Even more frightening, the FBI can investigate American citizens based in part on an American's exercise of his or her First Amendment Rights, such as writing a letter to the editor of a newspaper or reading books the government may not approve of.

And the traditional legal protections, that have been embodied in our Constitution for hundreds of years, no longer apply. The government can gain access to our reading records through the secret FISA court which was created by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act in 1978 and which is off limits to the public. There's no way to know how many times the FBI has spied on library or bookseller records or whose records they have reviewed.

In fact, Section 215 prevents librarians and booksellers from telling their customers that their privacy has been violated. Who would have thought that in 21st Century America, the government could gain access to library circulation records and bookseller customer records with no evidence that the person whose records they are getting is involved in any wrongdoing, that all of this would be handled through a secret government court, and that the librarians and booksellers would be compelled by the law not to let anyone know that the government had swooped in to get their records?

For many people who can not afford to buy books or have the Internet at home the library is critical to their ability to access to information. Many librarians and booksellers now fear that patrons have begun to self-censor their library use and book purchases due to fears of government surveillance. We need to remove libraries and booksellers from Section 215 so that Americans know their freedom to access information won't be improperly scrutinized by federal agents.

Let us be clear. The FBI would still be able to gain access to library or bookseller records as part of an investigation into illegal activity. All our bill does is restore the traditional protections that Americans expect and deserve. If the FBI has probable cause to believe that information in a library or bookseller's records or computers is connected to an ongoing criminal investigation or terrorism investigation, they can go to court and get a search warrant."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,479 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:12 am
Thanks for bringing this to my attention LarryBS... I think it is very important. These "little" losses of freedom have added up to an unprecedented taking of civil liberties by the American government.

I thought this line was so telling: "All our bill does is restore the traditional protections that Americans expect and deserve."

We won't know how much we've lost until it is gone.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:19 am
I'm so glad I caught that little 20 minute item on BookTV. Thank you CSpan.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:50 am
I've been looking up "Bernard Sanders 2003" on Google and been dismayed to find out that there is a second Patriots Act,

the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003

in the works to solidify more takings of civil rights. It seems that the government can't stop grabbing these rights away, once they get started, all in the name of increased security for us. Anyway, here's a month-old transcript of an interview by Bill Moyer:

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_lewis2.html

which I found from this website:

http://www.bordc.org/BORDCnews2-2.htm

It is pretty depressing, really.

The best news is there are several communities that have declared themselves "Civil Liberties Safe Zones" -- these are listed on that second website.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:58 am
That Moyers show is a show I just don't miss every Friday night, I saw the one you refer to, and I think there is a topic somewhere around here dealing with that act.

Thanks for those links piffka.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:24 am
Good for you, Larry! Moyer brings important issues to his audience's attention, as you did here. I have a hard time watching, being a wimp and a wuss, I'd rather not know just HOW BAD a state we're really in! Blissful ignorance... what can I say?

I have heard people say they don't mind if the government takes away some of their "little" freedoms, as long as they have peace and security. I don't agree. I think we should carefully hold onto and (in some cases bring BACK) our traditional rights.

The book tracking requires that librarians and their staff NOT inform patrons if the library is under surveillance under criminal penalty themselves? Yikes.

I've been running our library's book sale this weekend... don't worry, we took NO NAMES. Frankly, it was lucky we had enough volunteers to take money! Maybe the government will send some hard-working folks to help us, next time, so that we can track who buys what!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 09:40 pm
I'm so glad Sanders is taking a stand on this. Government involvement in anything to do with our private lives is horrific and has already gone way beyond the limit, even taking "terrorism" into account. However, we do give away our information daily -- that's nothing new, I know, but Poindexter's system will to some extent depend on being able to collate what's already known.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:56 pm
There is nothing like liberals making a brave stand on a minor issue while allowing the major violations of our civil liberties to go unchallenged. The Freedom To Read Act, commendable in itself, does nothing to repair the damage to the Fourth Amendment by the Supreme Court and John Ashcroft. I predict that it is so uncontroversial that it will pass Congress.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:57 pm
Piffka - I expect things are much the same for libraries in the US. Our chronic need to keep the costs of running a library as low as possible means that it is an profession reliant on automation (switch off my computer and I don't have a job).

Everything's on-line now - we freely share as much information as we can. Your local library would have a OPAC (on-line public access catalogue) that lets you check their stock, renew loans, put items on hold and CHECK YOUR CURRENT LOANS. All that's needed is access to these databases (that are just the public interface of the library's own system), rather than bailing up the staff at the loans desk and asking "Joe Q Citizen, what has he borrowed?".
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:15 pm
Larry R -- We are discussing this particular issue of Search and Seizure on the Books Forum for what seems to be obvious reasons.

Mr. Stillwater -- What is shocking to me is that a library clerk can now be implicated in a crime if they "tell" someone their records were checked. It sounds like you think the FBI (or maybe Homeland Security) can hack into a system without the library admin. knowing?

Still, as I said, it is now possible to be haphazardly subversive by having a book sale. WHO knows what was sold?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 12:01 am
Why bother about 'hacking'?

None of our systems are run by the library service, it's on the servers controlled by the local government body. Just go up to the Director of IT Services with your warrant and tell them to do 3 things:
1. Dedicate a line out from the building
2. Load on some software
3. Tell no-one
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:04 am
Oh. Well, in this county at least, the library has its own server which is not connected with county government.

BTW, the search & seizure abrogations of civil rights that Larry Richette alluded to are being ignored to a greater or lesser extent in those Civil Liberties Safe Zones, but as we've seen in California, it appears that these new Republicans enjoy with impunity the federal quashing of state's rights.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
Thanks to our fascist Attorney General, A2K itself could be declared a subversive organization if one of its members was held to be a terrorist or an indirect supporter of terrorism. The Patriot Act has done more damage to American freedom than Osama Bin Laden ever dreamed of doing.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:30 pm
I wonder what is the problem if the government investigates what does the suspect read. If the books he reads are fiction, cooking, travel, etc., this is an information that may not harm to anyone if being revealed. But if the person persistently looks for information on making explosives or on guerilla war tactics, this may be a dangerous terrorist planning his further attack. The very contents of person's reading is not a reason to arrest him, but a person that has interest in the abovementioned skills, may be monitored and stopped from performing a terror attack if he really plans doing this.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:14 pm
That's true, Larry. Gross, isn't it?

Steissd -- Have you ever heard the song "Die Gedanken sing frei?"

That is the crux of the problem. How can our thoughts be free if someone can rifle through the books we read and make assumptions based on that? Do you understand the meaning of privacy? It used to be (USED TO BE) that an American's home was his castle and his thoughts were his own.

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/1185.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:26 pm
library the single most dangerous institution in america, long may it live!!!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:33 pm
Piffka, I do not know whether my government monitors what do I read, both on and offline. It does not seem to me probable since I have not given to it any reasons for doing this, and such monitoring requires expenses and manpower. But even if it does, I do not worry. I know that I am not a terrorist, and that I do not plan performing attacks on either soldiers, or civilians or even Palestinians. If the government has any doubts based on my reading pattern, it is free to check up more thoroughly. Unless I am arrested without serious reason, it does not matter what does my government know about me. I am not a criminal, and I pay taxes from all my incomes, so this does not bother me at all.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:37 pm
however, we live in the USA and highly value our personal right to be free from govenment interference. HIGHLY value
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:59 pm
Quote:
It does not bother me at all.

Steissd -- Like you, I am not a subversive and I'm not a criminal. Still I mightily resent that without any probable cause that can be proved in a court of law (which is the way things USED to be done in this country), some fool in government can "check" what I read.

I don't want them to. OK? Why should I let them? What absolute right does this government have to steal the Constitutional Rights which I used to have, which people in the country have had for over 200 years? Would they like to get in bed with me at night and see which way I sleep? Do I turn over to much? Do I snore? Do I, God forbid, talk in my sleep???

From what you say, you don't seem to have a desire for privacy. Since I believe that it is an inherent need and part of the psychological make-up of humans, I can only assume it may have been driven out of you by your upbringing in the Soviet Union. In the United States most everyone believes in their inherent right to privacy. I have nothing to hide, but neither do I see a reason for people to be snooping. Let me assure you, that if there were probable cause, then this government has always been able to pry into the lives of its citizens. Now, they don't even need that.

So, are you saying that in Israel anyone can snoop on you? I'm shocked.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:30 pm
I would object to particular people's snooping as well. I would object to sharing this information with employers, sales agents and other private bodies that might build my psychologic profile abusing this information. But if the government tries to intercept potential terrorists, why should I object this?
0 Replies