Spring is Here. Lots of Folks are Out "Phishing" the Net.

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:52 am
In the last few days, I have been getting a number of "phishing" E Mails. That is, a company will write you, usually a bank, and state that they need to verify some information. You click on a link, and a legitimate looking page comes up.

The problem is, the page is a phoney. You have been directed to "phishing" link, where criminals are sitting by, rubbing their hands together, and just waiting for you to give them your credit card or bank account numbers, passwords, and other sensitive information.

If someone falls into the trap, they could be victims of identity fraud, and could be the recipient of a lot of aggravation. They also could become a lot poorer.

******Legitimate Companies Do Not Ask For Sensitive Information Via E Mail*****

I have gotten two, in the last two days. One was from PayPal, which is funny, bacause I don't have a PayPal account. I clicked on the link, and noted the web address. I then went to Google, and searched for PayPal. It was a completely different address.

What was nice, was that PayPal has a link (on their REAL address) where you can report these shenanigans. I did, and got a nice letter back.

This morning I got a phishing E Mail from a bank in Wissconsin. Now, Wisconsin is a nice state, but unless they were offering a toaster oven, or a 20 speed blender, with each account opened, like in the old days, there is little chance that I would have an account there.

The point is, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out sensitive information that is requested through an E Mail. Legitimate companies do not work that way.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/phishing.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 500 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:55 am
I know that most of us here are a bunch of net sophisticates. :wink:

The reason that I wrote this thread, was that if I could save one person from a lot of grief, I will have accomplished something!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
Sure!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:40 am
ha! i thought this was going to be about those kids i see this time of year, walking up and down the street with their laptops at night, picking off internet connections. it's quite a sport.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
Sorry, Phoenix.

I'll be sure to take you off of my email list. Unless you'll let my cousin from Nigeria use your bank account, in turn leaving you a millionaire?
0 Replies