Since when has the N word been allowed on TV?

mjbruns

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 08:15 am
The movie Lincoln is on the History Channel and they did not censor the N word. Who should I report that to? That word is not supposed to be on TV.

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 08:43 am
@mjbruns,
Bullshit. How is anyone supposed to correctly and accurately reproduce the history of the US civil rights movement (for just one example) without covering the shouts and signs, "Niggers get out".
mjbruns

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 08:49 am
@blatham,
Nowadays that word has been turned into derogatory. That's a word that's supposed to be banned from TV.
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 09:01 am
How very suppositious of you. Why do you allege that that word is not supposed to be used in television programs? What about motion pictures, do you allege that it is banned for use in movies, too?
mjbruns

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 09:03 am
@Setanta,
So you think that TV should not be censored? There is something wrong with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 09:24 am
No, there is something wrong with you. Who gave you the right to control what others see and hear? What qualifies you to make decisions such as that?

Keep your nasty mouth off of me, you vile little weasel.
mjbruns

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 09:40 am
@Setanta,
How about you stop being a bully.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:32 pm
@mjbruns,
Huh?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:45 pm
@mjbruns,
The rules for cable TV are different than those for the public airways. The History Channel is not regulated by the FCC so they are not constrained on what they can say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/03/29/is-there-anything-you-cant-say-on-tv-anymore-its-complicated/?utm_term=.fb1c9cbd7e82
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:44 am
@mjbruns,
mjbruns wrote:

The movie Lincoln is on the History Channel and they did not censor the N word. Who should I report that to?

Everyone who matters, the president, the vice president, the Whitehouse chief of staff, head of History Channel and every other channel on same server, your representatives in Congress and the Senate at both federal and state level and António Guterres.

Get writing!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:46 am
@mjbruns,
mjbruns wrote:

Nowadays that word has been turned into derogatory. That's a word that's supposed to be banned from TV.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nowadays?! That word has always been a derogatory weaponized word.
And what do you mean by banned? I'm pretty positive you know very little about government regulatory groups, censorship, and FCC policy.

The History Channel is a cable TV network.

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates "indecent" free-to-air broadcasting (both television and radio). Satellite, cable television, and Internet outlets are not subject to content-based FCC regulation.

Wiki

In a History.com, at face value, the series producers are using the term in its historical context and not for mere shock value. Whether from a story or aesthetic point of view they have succeeded or failed in that endeavor? I can't say because I haven't seen the show in question.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 02:40 pm
Let's ban Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 02:47 pm
That word has been on antenna TV as well, not just cable. Sometimes educationally, sometimes to portray racists. It's one I have never been able to use for any reason, but it shows up and that's a fact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 02:57 pm
@mjbruns,
Do you want some cheese with your whine?
roger

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 04:57 pm
@Setanta,
I suspect mjbruns is disappointed with his reception here.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 06:23 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Let's ban Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

I figure you might already know, it has been ripped off the shelves and banned in a few school districts. (along with To Kill A Mockingbird and other "offensive" books)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 06:28 pm
@Sturgis,
The word was casually used in lots of novels prior to the ascent of the Civil Rights Movement, by Steinbeck, Henry Miller and others.
Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 09:38 pm
Quote:

Roots (TV Mini-Series 1977)

Aired on ABC
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 09:50 pm
@mjbruns,
Quote:

Saturday Night Live (SNL):
Comedy skit featuring Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase
in a "Word Association"

Episode was aired on NBC in 1975
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
There are lots and lots of racist comments and terms that have been used for a long, long time. One of Joseph Conrad's better novels is no longer read at university, because of the title: The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' [í]. I recently stopped reading a collection of short stories by Somerset Maugham because he seemed incapable of referring to the Chinese without referring to them as "chinks."

1. Forums
  2. » Since when has the N word been allowed on TV?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 02:22:25