Selling stolen clothing to 2nd-hand stores

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 03:23 pm
This is a really low crime! What a terrible position to put 2nd-hand stores in - unknowingly receiving stolen goods. Many people have to shop in thrift stores, because that's all they can afford.

Two Arizona women accused of stealing $600,000 worth of clothing a year
at 21:39 on April 15, 2005, EST.

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Police arrested two Arizona women who allegedly stole about $600,000 worth of clothing from department stores each year and sold it to secondhand stores.

"This was a full-time occupation," police Det. John Stamatopoulos said.

Vernell Anderson, 49, and Cecelia Wilson, 55, were arrested Wednesday after they stole from three stores, Stamatopoulos said. Both were released on bail.

Stamatopoulos said the pair took women's clothing from several stores, including Dillard's, Sears, JC Penney and Kohl's, over the last five years.

The detective said one woman would stuff a large shoulder bag with clothes and the other fashioned a girdle under her skirt to hide clothing.

"It was pretty simple the way she did it," Det. William Briamonte said of Anderson.

"It's the volume that's shocking."

Stamatopoulos estimated the pair stole about $50,000 worth of clothing a month. They received about $1,200 for every $30,000 worth of goods, the detective said.

The women have been charged with aggravated shoplifting and conspiracy. Anderson also has been charged with trafficking in stolen property and theft.

Anderson's phone was disconnected Friday. Wilson doesn't have a phone number listed in her name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,001 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:13 pm
Must be different in Arizona. I don't know any thrift shops that buy clothing, and I am a total thrift shop maven.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:44 pm
Here, in B.C., Valu Village does. They buy from charitable organizations, mark it up, and get the applicable outfits a cut of the profits.

There are other smaller, independent shops here that do buy from individuals, markup and resell. Also, there are the consignment stores.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:59 pm
Well, my comment was tangential to your post, which I didn't comment on in my urgency to say how unusual I find thrifts actually buying the clothes.

The alleged thieves must have been pretty slick shoplifters.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:07 pm
I must say, if it had been me buying the goods, I think the quality and the newness look of the clothes would have given me pause for doubt. But, that's neither here nor there....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
Reyn, they have Valu Village on the west coast as well? Then they are truly a National enterprise and must be the largest thrift stores in the country.

They do buy from charitable organizations, but do not buy from the public. They receive items from the public as donations. We have provided items to them ourselves.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:59 am
Yes, it's the same deal here. Actually, we have quite a number of Valu Villages in the general area.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
Most college towns have a passel of stores that buy good, fashionable clothes from anyone. They're usually called "resale" or some variation thereof, not thrift stores. Madison had a couple (I did a lot of selling and buying there) and Columbus has a few that I've found so far. They cater especially to college students I think because that crowd tends to be both fashionable and poor -- they care enough to not wear last year's style of heel but need some $$.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Those stores don't have anything to do with charity btw. Just a business.

With that kind of volume I think the stores must've been at least a little complicit -- the same person coming in with brand-new clothes again and again and AGAIN...? I guess they could've timed it cannily among several stores and several individual buyers, but still...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:29 am
and further out, tangentially - Value Village is an evil enterprise. Please don't support them if you think you're supporting a charitable enterprise in any way. They are a true-for-profit, treat their employees like dirt (ask Stand up for Pessimism about that), evil evil evil.

There are several shops here in Toronto that buy and sell used clothing on a consignment basis. Usually high-end clothing only. One of my colleagues wears clothing for one season only - then off to the consignment store with the contents of her closet - and she starts over again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:34 am
ehBeth- In a town near me there are a bunch of these consignment stores. They sell the clothing, and get a cut of the sales price. The owner of the clothes gets the balance.

I would think that new looking clothing, brought in by the same person or persons, would send up a red flag. Unless, the owner of the store was looking the other way, and didn't care.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:34 am
Yep, consignment stores too. I'd tend to think that'd be harder for these types because the money doesn't change hands right away -- you have to go back later to pick up money AFTER the item has sold.

Usually you get a little more money from consignment shops vs. resale, IF you get it. I only do consignment with the stuff I'm sure will sell in a heartbeat.

You're right that there tends to be two categories, with resale or consignment -- career woman and college student. Career woman is a little higher-end and more expensive. Sometimes the two are combined.

(Signed, someone who's done many closet purges...)

edited to add:

All of these stores love something brand-new with tags, adds a lot of value. I just bought two absolutely gorgeous Talbot's (not a brand I usually like) spring sundresses, 50's-style but brand-new with tags, for $10/each at my new fave resale place.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would think that new looking clothing, brought in by the same person or persons, would send up a red flag. Unless, the owner of the store was looking the other way, and didn't care.

You don't know a lot of my colleagues, Phoenix. At the end of a season, when it's time to purge, there will be more than a few things that are not just new looking - but still have the tags in them.

The daughter-in-law of a friend of the hamburgers' is infamous for her bags of clothing with tags still on that are in the 'not in style anymore' pile.

I'm used to finding clothing with tags in resale/second-hand/thrift/consignment shops. Nothing that unusual about it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
Thanks for all your follow-up comments, folks. All interesting!

In regards to V.V., my wife and I only shop there on the odd occasion. We mainly support the Mennonite thrift store (MCC) where I live. I'm not a Mennonite, but they run a very worthwhile organization that do good works, and many people here seem to think so. Not only do we buy from them, we also donate items.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:56 am
Mennonite Central Committee is a fabulous group to support - they do a lot of good work in the community. I have a lot of respect for them.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:58 am
My cousin is a cop, and told me about a mall security guard that was stealing from the mall for years, and finally got caught.

He would work overnights, and the stores put down those metal grates. He designed a tool that would reach behind the gate, and turn the knob to open it from the inside. He'd also turn off the store cameras from a central location.

Guy would take a little here, little there, never a lot at once. One night his boss had to go in unexpectedly, and was walking around...looked down from the second floor and saw the guy loading up a garbage bag. They found a bunch of stuff at his house and in his truck, too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:16 am
These ladies were boosting their asses off! 49 and 55. I'll bet they've been doing this for a looooong time and only now got pinched in Tucson.
I've known a few boosters in my day. Vernell Anderson sounds very familiar. Wonder if these chicks ever blew through Chicago?

Just guessing but 9 times out of 10, they were selling the merchandise to consignment shops and those shop owners were very much aware of what they were buying. They get their cut of the proceeds so... :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:30 am
eoe wrote:
Just guessing but 9 times out of 10, they were selling the merchandise to consignment shops and those shop owners were very much aware of what they were buying. They get their cut of the proceeds so... :wink:

That business sounds as bad as the pawn shop racket, from what you're saying here, 'eoe'.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:33 am
It boils down to greed. As always.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Selling stolen clothing to 2nd-hand stores
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:01:13