Can "was sentenced" be removed?

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:12 am
Linda Seah Lei Sie, 39, was sentenced to three years' jail and her husband, interior designer Lim Toon Leng, 44, was sentenced to six weeks' jail on Feb 11, 2019.

Would it be correct to remove "was sentenced" from the sentence?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 357 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:22 am
@tanguatlay,
Linda Seah Lei Sie, 39, was sentenced to three years' jail and her husband, interior designer Lim Toon Leng, 44, six weeks' jail on Feb 11, 2019.

Maybe the second mention of the verb can be removed as typed in the above amended sentence. Since, you are vague in your question? You need at least one verb in the sentence. You can't remove "was sentenced" from both parts. You could reword the sentence using different verbs and tenses... but....
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:35 am
@tsarstepan,
You didn't remove was sentenced from the second half of the sentence, you removed was sentenced to.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks to both of you.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:35 am
@tanguatlay,
I think you probably could get away with removing the second was sentenced.

Personally I'd prefer.

Linda Seah Lei Sie, 39,and her husband, interior designer Lim Toon Leng, 44, were sentenced to three years in jail and six weeks respectively on Feb 11, 2019.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 04:05 pm
Although the standard of journalism in the Straits Times leaves a lot to be desired, the decline is ubiquitous as court reporting is left to the most junior reporters.

However in this case context is important, as the quoted text is only the subheading to a photograph of the accused and paraphrases the article that followed.

For those that are transfixed and desirous of further edification, I can add that they have both appealed against both conviction and sentence and are currently out on bail.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:57 am
Thanks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can "was sentenced" be removed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:09:05