Retirement discussion

Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
I'm sure many people will think, when they see this topic, and wonder if they will ever be able to afford to retire. Things are so expensive these days.

I would really like to hear from folks who are already retired, or like myself, just about to retire. Here are some tentative questions that you could keep in mind, if you post:
  • Has retirement changed your life much?
  • How old were you when you retired?
  • Did any plans you made pre-retirement work out the way you planned them, or were there hiccups along the way?
  • How much of a concern is having to watch every dollar you spend?
  • Are you able to afford luxeries like travelling where you want?
  • Were you able to get health coverage of some kind?
  • Have you found that you actually do have more time for hobbies and other interests?

Here is my story:
I will be officially retiring from my current job as an electric and gas meter reader 1 May 2006 (I'll be 55 by then). I'm going on pre-retirement leave by January 2006, using up holidays and banked time. So, as it stands now, my last actual day of work will be December 30th.

I'm counting the days and will be glad to get out of my line of work. It can be quite dangerous.

I do have a company pension plan to rely on. This was mandatory for all employees. Then, at 65 (in Canada), our Canada Pension Plan will kick in as well. So, I'm hoping that all will work out okay.

I also do have health plan coverage that I can take advantage of from the company. I will have to put a little bit of money towards it to get full coverage, but it will be worth it. My wife and I are both on medications. I have one prescription that is particularily expensive, so I'm glad that this is still available.

I do have plans, starting next year, to do some part time work of some kind. It'll probably end up being something minimum wage ($8 per hour). I'm doing this as a hedge against inflation and possible unexpected expenses coming up. I'd be happy with 3 to 4, 4 hour shifts per week. That would be enough to pay for groceries, etc. I feel this is still a good idea, as I'm still relatively young and in good physical shape.

Timing for me is quite good, housing-wise. Our mortgage on our townhouse will be paid off by July 2005. As every home-owner knows, this is a huge worry off one's mind.

My wife and I can live a comfortable life, but there's not much room for luxuries, like travelling, etc. Ours has always been an old-fashioned family with me in the workplace, bringing home the paycheque, and my wife was home raising our daughters and taking care of everything to do with the household. This was by mutual agreement and we were both happy with the arrangement.

I've always told my wife that when I retire from my present job, we would share all the household duties equally, so she would be able to retire as well. I once mentioned this to an elderly fellow (who already did help around the home), and he said that he never thought about it that way, but agreed with me. It isn't unusual for housewives to carry on with the same routine post-retirement of their husbands. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen in our household.

My wife and I both have our own hobbies and interests that we look forward to being able to have more time to spend on them. I'm also looking forward to the change from the weekly grind of going to my job.

So, what's your story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 610 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:35 pm
I've been reading a lot about how older workers are much in demand lately. More reliable, less turnover. Some interesting stuff about Home Depot and snowbirds -- work winters in Miami and summers in Detroit, or something.

My dad retired a couple of years ago and is doing this and that but hasn't gotten any kind of a job together yet. I really think that would help him, highly recommend it.

I love your comment about letting your wife retire, too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:35 pm
Retirement - does not exist in my family. At 67 my father works 50+ hours a week and probably drives and flys about 75,000 miles a year each. And my granddad worked until he died. My Grandma husker was forced by the school district to retire as the head cook at age 76, the Governor came to her retirement party. She's about 90 now and still does a hugh garden and lives on her own.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:39 pm
Hi sozobe! Thanks for your post. I have also heard similar stuff about older workers. I notice where I live in the southwest corner of BC some businesses hiring older folks for the day shifts. I hope that works out for me. I'm not too fussy. I just want a job where I'm not out in the weather all year round.

In regards to my wife retiring, it only makes sense. She takes care of a lot of stuff. Quite frankly, she makes my life run sooo much smoother and I couldn't have gotten through all these years at work without her. She more than deserves it! Besides, doing things together makes any task easier and more fun!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:43 pm
Husker, that certainly is impressive as to your father and grandparents. I certainly could not do my job being that old.

Maybe you might get a chance to break the tradition? :wink:
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:36 am
I qualify for early retirement 1 June 06. The main reason to stick it out that long is that I'll be eligible for the Company Health Insurance after that date, which costs about $400/month, as opposed to buying it on my own for $1000+/month.

Since I've been working overseas we haven't been paying anything into Social Security, so I'll only qualify for a very reduced benefit at that time. I'm planning on working at whatever I can find when we come back to the States. We've done a "back-of-the-envelope" type calculation for our living expenses. From what we've managed to save here we should be able to cover our expenses and live a very simple and frugal lifestyle. The problem is what decades of inflation will do. It will be better to work in my 50s while I'm still physically able to do so, than to run out of money in our 70s when we can't work any more.

After 911 my wife insisted we buy a house in the States, if worse comes to worse. She bought a vacation/future retirement home in Arizona. Our property line is right up against a National Forest, so we can go hiking whenever we want, and I plan on buying a small telescope and getting back into astronomy. We're also within driving distance of the U of A, and I'm pondering going back to school for that history degree. Unfortunately, there isn't any work in my line of business within a 500 mile radius of the house, so we'll almost certainly have to get a small apartment wherever I can find work for several years.

At least, that's today's plans.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:27 am
Thanks, Jim! It's nice to get a view of others' plans. Your situation, working overseas, brings a whole different dimension to trying to plan for ones retirement.

I certainly agree with you about being able to work in ones 50's versus later on in ones life.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:16 pm
Has anyone else got a retirement story that they would like to share?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Retirement discussion
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:20:01