Listening to Radio

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 12:57 pm
Quote:
"If you were to ask most people to name the most successful electronic medium, they'd probably guess television, cable, or maybe the Internet. They would be wrong. The most successful medium, in terms of industry profitability and penetration, is none other than radio. More than 95 percent of the population listens to radio every week, compared with a robust but slightly less dominant 92 percent for broadcast television."

Thisquote id taken from a -bussiness related- discussion about "Practical lessons from the radio industry" with Walter Sabo:
LINK

LarryBS has created a thread with some enormous links to a specific radio station
RADIO PROGRAMS which gives a lot more information.

It might be interesting in these special times, to hear, what the forces hear.

Here's the link to BFBS (which is one of my fasvourite terristic radio stations, can hear both of programs by antenna):

BFBS RADIO

AFN , the American Forces Network, only broadcasts via shortwave, ultra shortwave or cable and is, as far as I know, not an "internet radio".

What stations are you normally tuned in? What programs do you like best?
(And why -one of our multiple European prejustices- is in the USA always a tv on instead of a radio?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,102 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 06:39 am
I listen to the radio- but only when I am in my car. My husband, on the other hand, has the classical music station on all the time!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 06:43 am
Most of what's on TV these days is boring. I have the radio on when I'm at home. I listen to news, music and talk radio.

Most of the music leaves something to be desired. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 06:43 am
I've started to turn the radio on more, especially the online radio when I'm on the computer. I guess its just habit to have the tv on. So a side benefit to dwindling choices on tv has been the return of radio, to me anyway. Really love this BBC7 station, and thanks to oldandknew, I've looked around at the other BBC stations as well, especially liked BBC4. but of course there are lots of ther options on the internet. This is another advantage to having a fast broadband internet connection.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 09:25 am
NPR is my favorite but I listen to the BBC too. I listen at home and in the car.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 12:38 pm
I switch between NPR and BBC, depending on what is on either. Luckily, they are right next to each other on car dial-flipper.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 12:58 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I switch between NPR and BBC, depending on what is on either. Luckily, they are right next to each other on car dial-flipper.

I can't get BBC as such but one of the NPR stations I listen to is mostly talk and has BBC news at intervals all day.

I switch back and forth between it and another NPR station which is mostly music.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:26 am
while i wouldn't want to give up tv completely, radio is the most important source of info and good music. bbc, cbc(CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION - for anyone who doesn't know) and npr are most listened to stations. since i just love good old-style jazz, i find npr has some really classic programs. we usually listen to npr being broadcast from syracuse, ny, and get excellent reception in eastern ontario. "saturday afternoon from the met" is another favourite of ours. CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT RADIO! haven't had i working shortwave receiver for someetime, but i think it 's time to get one again. grundig seems to make a reasonably priced unit - anyone have any advice on this? hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:58 am
hamburger

You could have a try to get the "Grundig Yacht boy P 2000", when you are in Germany (about 100 Euro). It's really a good looking radio ('Porsche design') and got excellent tsts, minus points are -however- that it has no RDS (radio data system) and a small capacity to store stations. [When buying 'Grundig', have a look at the producing country and don't buy 'made in China'!]

Sony ICF-SW7600G would be an excellent buy - here in Germany about 200 Euros. The Sony Sony ICF-SW77 as great as well.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:07 am
I listen to the radio in the bathroom, the kitchen and the car. And I turn on webradio when I'm at the computer. My favorite radio stations will not mean anything to you - but here they are: SWR1, SWR3 and Neckaralb Radio. Walter, do you know them? :-)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:14 am
thanks, walter! that's the one i have been looking at. it's about can$ 200 here with a two-year warranty - so pretty well par with the german price. are any still being made in germany or is the production pretty well farmed out? of course the inside gear could be from all over the world; you really can't tell any more. example: we just noticed that our favourite GERMAN coffee(i don't know if it's tschibo or eduscho) comes from a factory in poland - you need a magnifying glass to be able to read the fine print. mind you, the coffee from the polish factory seems to taste just as good as the GERMAN coffee from the german factory. so, there you go. i remember that my parents would never by ground coffee; it had to be WHOLE BEAN coffee - it would be sniffed and checked for colour...... of course i wouldn't have any idea what to look for; except that i remember the dreadful RIO # 7(i think that's what it was called) that was sold right after the currency reform in 1948 in germany. good for killing insects of all kinds my dad used to say. hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:21 am
urs

Certainly - I can get SWR on cable. (I'm sure, you only listen to the local station, because you want to get some St. Patrick's Day - Packages!)

I really good radio site for listening (primarily, but not exclusively) German stations is to be found here:

iRaTe2

hamburger

This station might be of some interest for you (I LIKE IT!):

Radio Free New Orleans[/URL]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:24 am
Grundig is producing meanwhile all besides the bills outside Germany.

Tschibo is owned by Edouscho - or the other way round.
But they are still producing in Bremen: actually had a 'sniff' of the coffee, when I was there ........ just 5 hours ago.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:29 am
st. patrick's day ??? are you serious ? i thought you had to be born in ireland to "have the spirit" of st. patrick. but i have noticed that HALLOWEEN also has become a kind of holiday/festival in germany and austria. wouldn't have known what it meant before coming to canada; but i didn't know what ORANGE MEN'S PARADE was either.hbg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:16 pm
Walter, but of course! And I also like to hear a bit of the local news.

Hamburger, nowadays we have it all. St. Patrick's day, Halloween - you name it. Even in our little town we usually have a big St. Patrick's day party.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Listening to Radio
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:45:35