Runaway brides....

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:29 pm
Running group stops traffic in Wisconsin town by donning wedding regalia
at 9:26 on April 11, 2005, EST.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - About 50 people gave new meaning to the term "runaway bride" when they donned matrimonial regalia and ran through town, sometimes stopping traffic.

Everyone from pretend priests to brides and grooms of both genders took part in the first Running of the Brides on Saturday.

Liz Zelandais found the run difficult, and not just because of the champagne she drank.

"Pulling a train is one thing," she said, tugging the $2 thrift-store gown over her tennis shoes. "But having to run with a train is unbelievable."

The run was put on by the Madison branch of the Hash House Harriers, an internationally known "drinking group with a running problem."

"This way we can have the party without a pre-nup or divorce," said Zelandais, who organized the event. "It's sort of a no-fault wedding experience."

The hashers have previously held pirate-themed runs, and all members - male and female - don red dresses for an annual evening run. Even on their relatively "normal" weekly Saturday afternoon runs they always stop for beers and run maze-like courses.

"It's very important to revert to infantile behaviour for one day a week if you're forced to be an adult for the other six," said veteran hasher Marc Brand, who wore a veil and tutu. "It's therapeutic."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 503 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
I'm all for rugged individualism--even in groups.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
hehehe, I thought it was a great story! I've been trying to picture it in my mind. Maybe it could be a new reality TV show? Laughing
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:43 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Runaway brides....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:18:29