Marijuana: Health effects

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
I've read on this board, and elsewhere, about the merits of legalizing marijuana for possession and smoking, or the morality of it. Or, for that matter, your right to do anything you wish to your own body. This thread is NOT intended for that discussion. Rather, I'm interested in the health effects of smoking this product.

There seems to be a general complacency that "pot" is an innocuous substance. This myth persists even today. I knew a little bit about it, but recently I've read a lot more to educate myself. I have never smoked this stuff, and I'm glad that I have not. I believe if you love or cared about somebody, you wouldn't share that "joint" with someone else. The facts speak for themselves.

Please read the following detailed report:

National Institute on Drug Abuse

There are so many ways in this world in which we can involuntarily become ill with various diseases. Do we really need anything else that people can voluntarily do to themselves to put a further strain on our over-burdened health care systems? Plus, from what I have read, 2nd-hand marijuana smoke is just as dangerous to non-smokers as is 2nd-hand tobacco smoke.

On topic comments only, please.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,609 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:12 pm
There's been a lot of coverage on this lately in the health journals ...

Quote:
Marijuana Ingredient Slows Artery Aging
By David Liu
Apr 10, 2005, 13:13

A study published in a recent issue of Nature indicated that a marijuana ingredient called delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, when used as a dietary supplement may lower the risk of heart disease and stroke in humans.

In the study, researchers fed mice that were genetically prone to atherosclerosis a diet with a high-cholesterol diet supplemented with a small amount of THC for 11 weeks.

The researchers found that those mice that received THC showed less blood vessel clogging or slower progression of atherosclerosis - hardening of the arteries, which is a primary cause of heart disease and stroke caused at least partly by artery inflammation.

It's unclear whether THC as a supplement has the same anti-inflammatory effect on human while smoking marijuana won't work for sure. Further study is needed to find drugs that may act just like this marijuana ingredient.

The researchers already found that THC acts on a protein called CB2 on the immune system cells. This finding may help drug designers to find new drug that can protect against cardiovascular disease.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/marijuana_artery_health.shtml
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:18 pm
Quote:

Marijuana Treats Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms,
British Journal Nature Reports This Week

A study published in a major scientific journal this week found experimental evidence backing the claim that marijuana treats the spasticity and tremor caused by multiple sclerosis.

The article, "Cannabinoids Control Spasticity and Tremor in a Multiple Sclerosis Model," appears in the March 2, 2000, issue of the British scientific journal Nature. It reports on the results of animal experiments conducted by David Baker, Gareth Pryce, et al.

"This provides a rationale for patients' indications of the therapeutic potential of cannabis [i.e., marijuana] in the control of the symptoms of multiple sclerosis," the authors reported.

http://www.mpp.org/releases/nr022900.html
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
Thanks, Beth, for contributing that.

Quote:
The researchers found that those mice that received THC showed less blood vessel clogging or slower progression of atherosclerosis - hardening of the arteries, which is a primary cause of heart disease and stroke caused at least partly by artery inflammation.

Well, this is good news, but what I would be worried about would be all the other ill effects that can happen to one. Not sure if I would use a product like this with all the other negative side effects.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:23 pm
Quote:
The anti-emetic properties of cannabis have been studied in humans more widely than any other indication. Nausea and vomiting following chemotherapy was felt to be one of the best supported therapeutic uses of cannabis and cannabinoids by the British Medical Association in their review of 23 studies (1), and was also supported by the American Institute of Medicine (2). This indication for cannabis has become common knowledge among patients, was the subject of a popular book (3), and has received some endorsement amongst American oncologists in a survey study (4). It was also the original indication for Marinol® (synthetic THC) when it was released in the USA in 1986. A pilot study in Israel also showed efficacy of delta-8 in allaying nausea and vomiting in cancer chemotherapy in children (5), where it was 100% effective in allaying vomiting in 480 dose applications without significant adverse effects.

A large body of knowledge has now been amassed in this context as a result of state-sponsored studies in the USA in cancer chemotherapy (6). Pooling available data in some 768 patients, oral THC provided 76-88% relief of nausea and vomiting, while smoked cannabis figures supported 70-100% relief in the various surveys. However, there are no comparative trials with newer agents, such as the selective 5HT3 antagonists (e.g. ondansetron, granisetron).

http://www.gwpharm.com/research_nausea.asp
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:26 pm
Reyn wrote:
Thanks, Beth, for contributing that.

Quote:

Well, this is good news, but what I would be worried about would be all the other ill effects that can happen to one. Not sure if I would use a product like this with all the other negative side effects.

On the other hand, every advertisment for every great FDA approved product sites a list of possible side effects worse than what you're being treated for.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:26 pm
I'm not suggesting that everyone rush out and start using pot, but there is a lot of research going on that is finding benefits from the stuff.

I know that I wouldn't hesitate to find some for anyone I love who has cancer - I'd cook 'em up something - cookies, lasagne, something - and get the THC into them somehow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:32 pm
Re: Marijuana: Health effects
Reyn wrote:
I knew a little bit about it, but recently I've read a lot more to educate myself.

Honestly, I think you've got a lot more reading to do in this area, Reyn. I'm probably at a slight advantage because I do a lot of reading about treatments for pain, and have done so for decades because of my work - but it's not a simple question with a simple answer.

Do continue to read, there is so much going on in this area.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:34 pm
BM for later reading
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:36 pm
Reyn, think about the effects of alcohol - pot smoking isn't much worse when used in moderation. And, you could lower the risks by ingesting it in other ways.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:47 pm
I hope I'm not too off-topic adding a link to a prior thread; it's not so much strictly medical as more what some posters wrote about the effect it had on them and how it was to try quitting. Wilso grouped a bunch of posts together here
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
If a way could be found to take some of the benefits of marijuana, like you say, Beth, I certainly would have no qualms about that. It would be a prescription drug, like so many others.

I would agree, there are many drugs on the market that have a long list of bad side effects. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons for what it is intended. A classic example would be hormone treatments.

Thanks, guys. All good comments....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 05:57 pm
Some components are already available as a prescription drug, Reyn. As I said, there's lots of work going on in this area.

This company is one example of the pharmaceuticals companies involved in this area

Quote:
GW Pharmaceuticals is licensed by the UK Home Office to work with a range of controlled drugs for medical research purposes. The Group's lead programme is the development of a product portfolio of non-smoked prescription medicines derived from cannabis, including Sativex®, to meet patient needs in a wide range of therapeutic indications. The Group has also expanded its research to include the use of other controlled drugs in conjunction with its proprietary secure drug dispensing technology.

GW has submitted regulatory applications for Sativex ® in both the UK and Canada. Upon approval, Sativex®, will be exclusively marketed in both these countries by Bayer HealthCare.

GW maintains control over all aspects of the product development process - botanical research, cultivation, extraction, formulation into drug delivery technologies, clinical trials and regulatory affairs. Cannabis cultivation and production capability have recently been scaled up in preparation for the launch of Sativex®.

http://www.gwpharm.com/index.asp

It's important to do your own research. Know the pros and cons. Be aware of any alternatives.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
No matter what substance, drug, food, vitamin, ect., you'll see studies that show benefits, and other studies that point out the negative effects.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
littlek wrote:
Reyn, think about the effects of alcohol - pot smoking isn't much worse when used in moderation. And, you could lower the risks by ingesting it in other ways.

Well, I will agree that alcohol has terrible effects when used in excess.

I don't have any particular axe to grind on this topic. It just seems like we are going to have a lot more problems down the road with health care. I would certainly like all young people to be properly informed as to what they may be getting themselves into. That would be for whatever "drug" that they are considering taking. Their future may depend on it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:03 pm
And that's the key. Education. Yes I know it's the middle-class panacea but I do believe that any of us needs information about what we're (voluntarily) putting into our bodies. Then we can make an informed decision about our own behaviour. Good thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
goodfielder wrote:
And that's the key. Education. Yes I know it's the middle-class panacea but I do believe that any of us needs information about what we're (voluntarily) putting into our bodies. Then we can make an informed decision about our own behaviour. Good thread.

Thanks! Yes, that's basically where I'm coming from, too. Informed choices. I'm worried in particular about all the young people out there who are not, and live to regret it way down the road, and have poor health. Very sad.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
Here's what Canada's Lung Association has to say on the matter of health effects:

CANADIAN LUNG ASSOCIATION POSITION STATEMENT

Marijuana

As approved by the Board of Directors at the October 5, 2002 meeting.

While most Canadians are aware of the danger of cigarette smoking, they may not yet realize the health hazards of marijuana smoking. Research indicates that marijuana smoking can be extremely hazardous to the lungs.

Marijuana smoke contains many of the same respiratory irritants and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, many in higher concentrations. The tar phase of marijuana has about 50% more of some of the carcinogens present in a comparable quantity of unfiltered tobacco.

Adverse health effects of smoking marijuana include chronic (often productive) cough, deepening of the voice, recurrent bronchitis, and frequent co-association with tobacco smoking. Frequent marijuana smoking can cause significant impairment of pulmonary function tests (spirometry) after only a few years of heavy use. Further evidence also suggests that marijuana may predispose to the development of cancer of the respiratory tract. Due to the, often-delayed, airway irritating and carcinogenic effects of smoking, the full destructive impact of marijuana smoke on respiratory health is only now becoming known.

Whereas scientific evidence indicates that marijuana smoking is harmful to lung health and whereas legalizing marijuana will lead to increased marijuana smoking; therefore the Canadian Lung Association considers marijuana smoking to be a public health hazard and is opposed to legalization of marijuana possession and use for non-medical purposes.

For those who can only achieve pain relief from marijuana use, alternate pharmacological preparations of cannabis which do not inflict lung damage, which have been duly proven to be safe and effective, and which are approved for medical use by prescription, could be used.

Scott McDonald
Executive Director
BC Lung Association
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:41 pm
Quote:
Cannabis Spray for MS Nerve Pain OK'd in Canada

Contributed by William Angelos | 22 April, 2005 00:25 GMT

Multiple sclerosis patients may benefit from a controversial new drug that has been approved in Canada for the treatment of neuropathic pain. Canada is the first country in the world to approve Sativex, a spray taken by mouth that is derived from components of the cannabis plant, which has been shown to have therapeutic properties.
The move is controversial, because marijuana and other hallucinogens also are made from parts of the cannabis plant. Proponents of medical marijuana are hailing the drug's approval.

Health Canada has approved Sativex for sale as a prescription pharmaceutical product under the country's Notice of Compliance with Conditions (NOC/c) policy.

This authorization reflects the positive nature of the clinical evidence, which will be confirmed with further studies, say UK-based GW Pharmaceuticals and Bayer HealthCare in a joint statement. Products approved under the NOC/c policy have demonstrated promising benefit, are of high quality, and possess an acceptable safety profile based on a benefit/risk assessment for the approved use, they note.

http://health.dailynewscentral.net/content/view/000655/31/
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
Canada has a started a research study last December .

"The study will enroll a total of 1400 adults from across Canada. Of these, 350 subjects will be those who use cannabis as part of their pain management, and 1050 subjects will form a 'control' group who do not use cannabis. The control group is very important because it will allow a comparison of safety effects with the cannabis users."

http://www.gereq.net/compass/patient_faq.html
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Marijuana: Health effects
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 06:49:20