Should I feel bad for using homework help sites?

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2019 08:41 am
Ive been thinking about this for a while and I've been a having a hard time because I feel kind of bad using homework help sites to complete my college assignments. I don't do it to slack off, I just have too much on my plate and found that thee sites are very helpful and efficient. Is it morally wrong to use these sites? Should I feel bad?

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2019 09:21 am
@Bryvsp84,
If you are using them to avoid actually having to do the work, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are using them because you tried it on your own and you need some tips, that's fine.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 07:54 am
@Bryvsp84,
As long as you are using this for help -- and as a result you are learning from it then you should not feel bad. What is the difference then between going to the teacher or a friend or for help if you are stuck or don't understand and utilizing another vehicle.

If you are copying (plagiarizing) - then it is not only morally wrong but it could get you kicked out of school for cheating.

It is ok to get help with whatever means works best for you- it is not ok for some one else to do your schoolwork even if that someone else is virtual.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 09:09 am
@Bryvsp84,
It is interesting that you separate the two questions. In my opinion it is clearly morally wrong. The more important question is whether you should feel bad about it.

You could stop using these sites. In this case any more bad feeling would be counterproductive... hopefully you would feel good having made a positive change.

If you aren't going to change, then there is the question of the utility of any bad feeling (since presumably the purpose of feeling bad is to motivate you to change). I would argue that if you aren't going to change, then feeling bad is pointless.

So I would suggest a brief period of feeling bad... after which you either change your behavior or not. Then there is no further point to feeling bad.

0 Replies

Bryvsp84

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 08:34 am
@engineer,
Its not that I want to avoid doing my homework I just need to free up some time since this semester im biting off more than I can chew. Have you ever used homework help services?
engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 08:39 am
@Bryvsp84,
No, but there were no such things when I was doing homework. The purpose of homework is to drill in the lessons. If you are freeing up time by not doing that, you lose in the long term. Maybe you can drop a class if you know that you have taken on more than you can handle.
0 Replies

bvenegas84

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 10:19 am
@Linkat,
But how could it be plagiarism if the help given is original work?If i was to use this kind of help I would definitely request a plagiarism report before turning in the assignment.
bvenegas84

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 10:23 am
You shouldn't feel bad at all. There's nothing wrong with getting help on your assignments just make sure you learn from the help ou are getting and try not to rely on this practice.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 02:25 pm
@bvenegas84,
Because plagiarism is the "practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own" - so if this is not your work or idea and you are sending in homework indicting this is your homework then you are plagiarizing. It would have to be YOUR original work.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:08 pm
@bvenegas84,
By the same logic, there is nothing wrong with robbing a bank as long as you use the money for something good and don't depend on it.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I feel bad for using homework help sites?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.83 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:37:01