A part of a short story I was reading talked about how the main character moved into her new place, and she unpacked a plate, a spoon, her parka, and so forth.
In the story, it was meant to be amusing, and it was.
It did make me wonder what I need to make it comfortably, but minimalistically through the day/night for a longish period of time. Looking at it as if I was the only one in the household (which I'm not alone).
Not to the point like I felt like I was making some politcal statement. More as in "It's just me, so who am I trying to impress?"
For this thought experiment, I set the following parameters.
The list would NOT include:
Utilities and other services like Netflix that are monthly expenditures
Car expenses, like gas, insurance
Phone service, cell or otherwise
Those are things you need, regardless, or are an ongoing source of news/entertainment etc. Sure, not technically need, but lets not be odd.
I also decided a typical day would involve going out into the world, for whatever reason, so would include all daily hygiene.
If for fun you'd like to make your list before reading on, to compare/contrast/comment on, stop reading here, and scroll down once you have your list.....
I came up with 27 items.
It was both smaller and larger than I expected, in some strange way. I think I would have liked it if it was under 20.
What did you come up with?
3. Some kind of top clothing
4. Some kind of bottom clothing
5. Pair of footwear (no socks for me thanks)
6. Shampoo (would also be used for body wash, and below, washing dishes)
7. Conditioner (not necessary, but one of the couple items I decided was desirable enough to include)
8. Comb (or brush, not both)
9. Antibacterial wipes (Not a necessity, but I like to use them before putting on deodorant)
11. Toilet paper
12. Tooth brush (manual or electric)
14. Rubbing alcohol to clean toothbrush (yes, a necessity for me)
15. Artificial tears (didn't include in meds as it's not perscription, but I have dry eyes)
16. One towel for shower
17. One cup for all drinking
18. One bowl for all eating
19. One spoon for all eating
20. One knife for food prep and eating
21. Cutting board (not technically a necessity, but I decided it's worth it)
22. One washrag for cleaning dishes (using shampoo) or select a size paper towels, more sanitary.
23. Spatula for turning, stirring food while cooking
24. One pot OR one pan, can't decide which. Probably large dutch oven pot.
25. Paper coffee filter
26. Reading glasses
27. Clothes detergent.
Of course one would own more than one towel, or underwear of other clothes, but this is for the day.
Looking over the list, although mentally I like thinking I could do life under 20, I really can't see where I would cut anything out without lessening quality of life, and making it weird.
Did I leave something out?