The New Color of Money

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
The US Treasury Department, in an effort to thwart counterfeiters, will be introducing $20 bills with a new background color (e. g. something other than green) on March 27th. See: http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/05/news/money/index.htm According to the article, the bills will have "a predominant but subtle color [in] the background".

Digital counterfeiting has become a serious problem, with 40% of all counterfeiting being done that way in 2002. However, according to an anti-counterfeiting expert cited in the article, the new color probably won't do much to counteract the problem, as many counterfeiters just bleach money and then digitally print the face of a larger bill on top. The way you can tell that such bills are counterfeit is because the security strip and watermark for the smaller bill remain. The only way he could think of to combat this problem would be for the Mint to use some sort of penetrating ink.

So, what color of cash would you like to see? Are we going to start calling twenties mauvebacks or chartreusebacks instead of greenbacks? Will it be the long teal rather than the long green?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,618 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:23 pm
As far as I've read, it's either red or blue. Blue is actually my private first choice, red would be my "political colour".

So, I chose 'red', you'll get 'blue'.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:35 pm
How about differing colors so one can be "color coordinate"
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:51 pm
Id like hologram of the big guys, or maybe just the eye <thats kewl>
Okay..enough of the flashbacks

um....well, how about goldleaf?

seriously though...already green and red..dangit...go with the blue, out with the red..make it color specific..ya know, good old red, white and blue...okay, and green.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:54 pm
January 31, 2001

We're not really sure just who the bozo is in today's report. From Danville, Kentucky comes the story of a Dairy Queen employee who is in hot water for accepting a phony $200 bill and giving the thief $197 back in change. Authorities say the bill is such an obvious fake it can't even be considered counterfeit. On the front of the bill is a picture of George W. Bush and on the back there is a picture of an oil well and a picture of the White House with a lawn sign reading, "We like broccoli." Police are searching for the crook and the Dairy Queen employee is searching for her glasses.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:56 pm
Better be looking for the brain. What was she doing with $200 in the register. I expect to see this one on snopes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:06 pm
I voted for violet/purple just 'cause I figure it's so odd no one else will choose it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:18 pm
Link to Dairy Queen Article
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:24 pm
Thanks for the link -
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:28 pm
totally beige to match my personality
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:31 pm
What's with this beige personality thing, dys?! Ya ain't beige! Yer... scarlet? Something un-beige.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:40 pm
pfffffffffffffffffffffffttttttt well ok maybe ecru?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:46 am
Why not just turn all paper money to coins? Just a thought. I'm a purple girl myself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:06 pm
Violet-purple gets my vote.

(is it a canajun thing, Gezzy?)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:24 pm
Must be Beth. I love our beautiful money ;-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:32 pm
Same-sex marriages and pretty money. I'd say we've got it made in the shade! <bg>
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:51 pm
Yup. I wouldn't trade it for the world :-D
0 Replies

TamikaSerrato

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 04:05 am
@jespah,
I want to see the cash with brown or grey background. Both colors are not my personal choice. In fact I think these colors look better with the currency.
0 Replies

BonnieArteaga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 04:47 am
@jespah,
Somewhat brown grey or reddish brown color.
0 Replies