Should there be three dots instead of four?

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 02:48 pm
Jackson, a researcher with the CDC, explained: “AIDS is still a
massive problem …. It is a pressing issue

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 405 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 04:11 pm
@tanguatlay,
I think it is a matter of "writer's discretion". Personally, I would have used one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 04:13 pm
@tanguatlay,
That's a question of style. I would use three, with spaces between them, but there is no rule here.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:16 pm
Thanks, Ponderer and Setanta.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 04:03 am
@tanguatlay,
Four dots are correct here. One is a period and should be separated from the other dots. In fact there should be spaces between each of the dots.

“AIDS is still a massive problem. . . . It is a pressing issue
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 04:55 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Four dots are correct here. One is a period and should be separated from the other dots. In fact there should be spaces between each of the dots.

Thanks.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:40 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Jackson, a researcher with the CDC, explained: “AIDS is still a
massive problem …. It is a pressing issue

Thanks.

Three dots for an ellipsis is to indicate that the remainder of the sentence is a continuation of the sentence prior to the ellipsis.

Four dots ellipsis means that the sentence is longer than what's written here but the person doesn't want or need to completely write it out fully. The fourth dot indicates that the sentence has come to a full dead stop. The capitalization of "It" means a new sentence has started (and is completely separated from the previous sentence in the quote).

At least this is how the Chicago style Manual defines the process of the four dot ellipsis. For me? It's the correct way.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:41 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

According to the Chicago Manual of Style, there aren't supposed to be spaces between the periods.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 12:46 pm
Which takes us back to the original point, which is that it is a matter of style.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 12:26 pm
@tanguatlay,
Three dots is called "ellipsis" which is a figure of speech where something is omitted. I am not aware of any rule specifying the number of dots.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should there be three dots instead of four?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:23:39