Fantasy: Next Series to continue with...

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:30 pm
I found China Meiville hard going. What have you read?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
I read The Scar first. Picked it up because I liked the front cover. I consider myself a fast reader - I read Stephen King's 'Cujo' in a day - but I was reading The Scar for about ten days.
In a way, that's what I liked about it. I got my teeth into it. it was like reading Steinbeck (very visual, very evenly paced).
I couldn't just plough through it to the good bits because the writing itself was too interesting to miss. I liked the inventiveness, the SF aspects and the political undertones.

Straight after, I read King Rat (his first novel I think). A lot of the story takes place in parts of London I grew up in. I'm also a bass player, so the whole bass V treble thing, with bass winning the day, worked for me. I liked the mix of fantasy and urban reality. I warn anyone reading it for the first time - don't make yourself a sandwich to go with this one.

I've also got 'Iron Council' to read, but I think I'd better save it. I've got a couple of SF novels to read first. (recommended by A2K)
On the back cover of 'Iron Council' is a quote by the New York Times...
"Challenging but rewarding."
That about sums it up, as far as his other two books go.

By the way, I spelt his name wrong. It's China Mieville

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
I'll have to give King Rat another try--although there are many wonderful books in this finite world.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
I couldn't help noticing that your Avatar looks a bit like the Pied Piper, Noddy24

If you read King Rat, you'll understand why that's a weird coincidence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:50 pm
Endymion--

My Avatar is the fool from the Tarot Deck, but the Pied Piper element is one reason that I wanted to enjoy King Rat. When I couldn't get into the story, I donated the book to the library. I hope they kept it for the permanent collection instead of putting it out for the book sale.
0 Replies

californiadreamin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
I have been reading through David Eddings' Ellenium series. I have enjoyed it so far. The first world I believe is the Belgariad. I had no idea of that since at the time, these books were a recommendation from a friend. Anyway the local library had this world in stock, and so I have been reading through them. They are good. Almost like a Lord of the Rings series. I like them they are a nice change from the usual romance/thrillers/suspense kind of books that I enjoy. They are a little harder for me to concentrate on, since I am a stay at home mom, but I have completely enjoyed them so far.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:28 am
Welcome californiadreamin
Have you read any Katherine Kerr? (I think that's her name - I'll check) - if you like romance/thrillers/suspense kind of books, her fantasy series will appeal I'm sure.

I've just read Stephen King's - Cell
Anyone else read his new book?
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
I'm afraid I have to put down the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold:

Shreds of Honor
Barrayar
The Warrior's Apprentace
The Vor Game

and so on. There's certainly enough books in the series to keep one occupied for awhile, and they sucked me in pretty well. It's science fiction - the stories about, initially, a rising admiral and military genius in the starfleet of the Barrayaran military, and subsequently the adventures of his son. They're hilarious, energetic, fast-paced, twisty, intelligent, witty, and a ton of fun. If you don't mind starting in the middle, read 'Young Miles,' a collection of three books that's a great place to start.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:34 pm
I agree about Bujold. Last week was a bit harrowing and I wound up re-reading Shards of Honor for the adventure and the elegant ending.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:02 pm
Woohoo! I'm not all by my lonesome.
0 Replies