Scam? FreeIpod offers????

husker

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
Is it a big scam or what? Have you or anyone you know did one of those free IPod programs and got one?

You know like sign-up then get so many others - when that happens I guess that's the pay-off day you get your IPOD...................

seems like a scam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:47 pm
my experience is you never get anything for nothing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
Seems like they're usually some sort of pyramid scheme. Here's more info:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62226,00.html

No such thing as a free lunch...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:21 pm
Or, a free Ipod.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 02:33 pm
i'm still waiting for my ipod from citibank. at least i did get free checks for opening a checking account.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
So, I'd have thought all those things were scams (and many and possibly most are), but the wife did one a few months ago, watching out for anything suspicious, did four promo offers, answered a lot of questions -- offer was for a $250 gift card. Nothing happened for a couple of months, she sent an email threatening a complaint to the BBB, et voila -- two weeks later, a Visa debit card with a $250 balance comes in the mail. Pretty sweet, but all told she put four or five hours' work into it.

And it's got a limit of one-per-household, of course...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:51 pm
I think there's something out there if you can tell the real stuff from the frauds. Could be mighty difficult.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:54 pm
I don't think the wife would have got it if she hadn't threatened to raise a stink. You could make a killing banking on people being complacent.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:55 pm
Good to see you typing, by the way, husker...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:57 pm
thanks PD
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:38 am
patiodog - $50 an hour aint dogfood.

I just don't like that most of them make you "take advantage of at least two of these great offers!!!" and fulfill all of the requirements for the two you choose and THEN get your reward.

Now if I chose the 10 CD's for a penny deal and agree to buy 5 more over three years (or whatever it is) I would be three years getting my ipod / gift certificate or whater the prize is.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:50 pm
quick update 4 ne1 interested, i got by blue, 4gb, free ipod mini from citibank today. i'm a satisfied customer. Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:37 pm
no kidding - cool
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
I think there might be a few different strands. I think there's the bank-type freebie -- iPods are the new toasters. And then there's the out-of-nowhere freebie -- emails, spam on forums like this, eBay, etc. I think those are the ones that are pyramid/ scammy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
I decided to try one just to see what happens - so far not impressed - we'll seem but I think it's a scam, I had alternative personal info that I was able to use.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
husker wrote:
no kidding - cool

yes indeed. had to wait 4 months after opening an account, but apple increased the disk space from 3gb to 4gb in the meantime. sort of like it collected interest. :wink:
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
the trick to these things is to find a large group of friends, who would be all willing to help each other out. I have a friend who actually tried his best to get the ipods and it worked. He's now trying to get a flat screen TV. I mean there's a lot of tricks in these things, but if you have the energy and the time to waste...I mean, go for it. Very Happy
0 Replies