What do they mean?

Don1

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:32 am
I watched a documentary recently about the career of Roy Orbison as seen by other artists/songwriters, two of them, K.D.Lang and Will Jennings used the same phrase to describe a part of Roy's songwriting talents, this is word for word what Will Jennings said about a song that he and Roy wrote one day.

"He was INTERNALISING that song until we had it from beginning to end and he gave us that great performance"

K.D. Lang used the word "internalising" in the same way. My question is this: what the hell does it mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:39 am
I think they just mean that he would make things personal by making the song sound like it came from his own happiness or heartache.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
Don, I believe internalizing in this sense refers to taking on the emotions of the song, sort of like acting, so that the performance is more emotional and less presentational.

Oh, and sorry for Americanizing ( Very Happy ) your spelling...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:41 am
When you "internalize", you make something, personal, subjective. What I believe was being said was that Roy wrote from his "guts". It was not an intellectual endeavor, but something that came that came from within himself.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:38 am
Those explanations work for me, thank you phoenix, mac and boomer Thank you all Very Happy
0 Replies