Shouldn't it be 'win' and 'formerly' instead?

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 11:29 pm
“Football used to be one of the sports where Malaysia used to be strong at and won consistently, now the country is being left behind,” he said.

He said Japan had achieved great success quickly and were a very good team although they used to trail Malaysia last time.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/mahathir-malaysia-vietnam-suzuki-cup-football-national-team-11011172

Shouldn't it be 'win' and 'formerly' instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 170 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 11:53 pm
@tanguatlay,
The sentence is a mess. If it is the quote of someone speaking in English, you cannot, of course, change it. If it is a translation, I couldn't help you because I don't know the original, and don't speak Malay. I'm not certain where you would put "win" and "formerly," so I will just re-write the sentence as I would write it. (Keep in mind that people who speak extemporaneously don't produce shining examples of their respective languages.)

Football used to be one of the sports at which Malaysia was strong and won consistently; now the country is being left behind.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 06:07 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shouldn't it be 'win' and 'formerly' instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:42:57