What's your worldview? - Class Assignment I need help with

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 06:53 pm
I have an assignment for a course on Worldview & Philosophy. I am required to ask others if they are interested in sharing their beliefs. The purpose of this assignment is to consider the viewpoints of others and also to write a paper about what we learned. I would be so grateful for anyone's help. All I need is a response to each of the questions below. If you have a particular religion/worldview, please specify and then share your beliefs as they correlate to your religion/worldview.
Thanks so much!

1. Do you identify with a particular religion or worldview?
2. Do you believe in God, a deity, nature, or the universe? If so, what are your beliefs about one of the following? If not, why not?
3. What happens to a person at death? (Heaven, Hell, reincarnation, etc)
4. If you are religious, how does one access Heaven? Why do people go to hell? How does one be reincarnated?
4. What is the meaning and purpose of life? Or is there a meaning & purpose?
5. How do we know what is right and wrong?
6. What is a human being?
7. What is the nature of the external reality, that is, the world around us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,856 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:33 am
@lincolnscholar2017,
These questions are too open ended to attract a response. One way round that is a 'forced choice alternative ' style, in which you make a number of statements and call for a response along, say, a five point scale from 'agree' to 'disagree'
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 10:59 am
@lincolnscholar2017,
I call myself an atheist christian.

2. Do you believe in God, a deity, nature, or the universe? If so, what are your beliefs about one of the following? If not, why not?
I'm in fact agnostic. I don't know about deities.

We die. End of story.

4. If you are religious, how does one access Heaven? Why do people go to hell? How does one be reincarnated?
They do in fairy tales.

None that I can find, but I'm still searching.

By the golden rule, by empathy, by instinct.

An animal with too big a brain for its own good.

Turtles all the way down, I would guess. That is to say: infinitely complex.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 02:48 pm
@lincolnscholar2017,
You have a major problem here in that you are using muddled words. You don't learn anything by asking questions based on one meaning when people can answer based on several different meanings.

I am Christian. That is not a religion. Being a Christian is a relationship. Religion is made up by men telling each other what to do. I have no idea what you mean by "worldview".

2. Do you believe in God, a deity, nature, or the universe?
That is a very mixed up question and you will only get mixed up answers.

The soul dies when the body stops breathing. The body rots and the spirit of lilfe returns to God who gave it. Hell is a hole is a grave. Check any dictionary. Everything most people believe about hell came from one fictional book by an Italian guy named Dante Allighieri, based on Roman Catholic traditions.

See #1.

My bible says mankind was put on Earth to take care of it.

If it hurts, it's wrong.

There is a scientific definition, although it covers several different animals.

What is this "nature" of which you speak? That word has a lot of meanings and there is no profit when you use one meaning and I use another.
0 Replies

remyb

Reply Sun 5 May, 2019 02:32 am
@lincolnscholar2017,
I am an atheist christian.

Mixed up questions, sometimes believe, sometime not.

While we birth nothing brouht, while we death, nothing be carried.

In fairy tales.

This holds true on both a relative level, such as when we want to know how organisms have evolved, and an absolute level, such as when we ask more broad questions about meaning, god, and the nature of the universe.
(more informaiton of How to find the purpose of your life:https://www.keepinspiring.me/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/ )

Perhaps the best way to answer this question is to take commonly accepted ethical notions and appraise them for the case at hand, as accordance to a central ethical principle often appears a sound basis of ethical action.

“Experiences of nature and of the human being together make up
knowledge of the world. We are taught knowledge of the human being by anthropology; we
owe our knowledge of nature to physical geography or description of the earth
(Quote from Kant's Hunman Being:https://docsbay.net/kant-s-human-being-essays-on-his-theory-of-human-nature )

Worldview is the way a person views the world. Worldview is not just a story or a presumption of life. It is a reality. Worldview is not an assumption of the world.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 6 May, 2019 05:39 pm
@lincolnscholar2017,
lincolnscholar2017 wrote:

I have an assignment for a course on Worldview & Philosophy. I am required to ask others if they are interested in sharing their beliefs. The purpose of this assignment is to consider the viewpoints of others and also to write a paper about what we learned. I would be so grateful for anyone's help. All I need is a response to each of the questions below. If you have a particular religion/worldview, please specify and then share your beliefs as they correlate to your religion/worldview.
Thanks so much!

1 - No religious affiliation.

2 - I believe in "Being", Logos in Nature.

3 - The body dies, temporarily, till its atomic map and the atomic configuration map of our Universe repeats itself in an infinite cycle/loop. It's fractal!

4 - The meaning of life is to observe, learn, forget, and adapt to change, again observe ourselves and our world!

5 - Maximizing the saving of energy by cooperation, Neo- Darwinism. It's good for Nature and for us as social beings. That much said, the survival of the fittest and competition still have a role to play prevented everyone is maximized within their limit capacity.

6 - Not much different from a virus...

7 - There is no "external" or "internal" reality, both coinages are wrong because a fractal pattern has no inside or outside to it, in sum, there is Oneness in Being!

A nice summary:
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 02:28 am
@lincolnscholar2017,
This isn't necessarily a forum suited to your questions. For example, your questions seem pointless to me. If I were to answer, I would answer what I think is the intent, rather than the question...but presumably your questions are designed to enable analysis.

My view:
- nothing 'happens for a reason' (this is a denunciation of those that believe there is a guiding force that has a reason for doing or allowing things to happen), but rather, we find reason in all things that happen.
- that also means that the purpose of life is what we make it to be. In other words, I don't think we 'find' our purpose in life, but create our purpose in life.
- Right & wrong are personal to each person (even while most people share vast similarities in what they consider right and wrong). The thing is, so many people are aren't fully honest (and often dishonest) with themselves, that they don't fully know what is right and wrong for themselves. Society though, is conformist, and so tries to impose a 'one size fits all', in the hopes of having the least conflict possible.
- there is nothing after death

Your last two questions go more to true philosophy, rather than worldview, even if 'what is a human being' is central to the abortion debate.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 04:14 pm
@lincolnscholar2017,
It's now May 12, 2019, and some would like to know if you used any of the opinions provided to you? What was your final decision on "your world view?" I'm somewhat curious, because I studied Philosophy in college.
0 Replies

Super-Socrates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 01:32 pm
@lincolnscholar2017,
I can't tell if they are separate or unified anymore, so "a" particular, I dunno.

I believe in God. I am Him.

They sleep, or go home.

According to the Bible, the Kingdom of Heaven is within man. I access something heavenly by contemplation. Hell? I still don't know. Perhaps Hell is the furnace in Daniel, where we go to receive the Baptism by Fire, until our heart melts. The Buddha says we are automatically reincarnated based on our karma.

Good natured fun. It is so obvious in the moment.

What increases happiness and decreases unhappiness is right. What increases suffering and decreases the opposite of suffering is wrong.

Homo Sapien.

It's a house.
0 Replies

olive55

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 05:41 am
I believe that there is some higher power that is unattainable to us and that we cannot understand or explore. I don't know what it is, but I believe it affects our lives. I don't know if it's God or something. Maybe we can't investigate it because it's immeasurable for the human brain. And I do not believe in religion. It has brought too much trouble to humanity. There are many absurdities and contradictions in it. But this is not surprising, because religion was formed by people. That's why I consider myself an agnostic.
0 Replies