My Religious Journey

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2018 09:10 pm
Part One: From a time before I was even able to put sentences together, I was taken to Christian church on Sundays. My earliest memories of church were of choir members dressed in robes and other children, a group of which I was a part of. The very first church my parents took me to was Lutheran. The services were subdued, solemn and ritualistic in nature.

There were pictures of a man holding a lamb and sometime with children in his lap and of a woman who seemed content and blessed. This was a form of human worship where people of remarkable character were deemed holy and worthy of praise.

My mother was very active in the Lutheran Church and she was also a worthy matron in the Eastern Star. My father was a Shriner (which he seemed devout) and a person who grudgingly attended Lutheran church. He was Norwegian and came over in 1920 on Ellis Island and a free thinker and took religion with a grain of salt. His favorite writings even into his old age were those of Thomas Paine.

My great grandfather on my mother's side was the “second” editor of the BLUE GRASS BLADE.

The Blue-grass Blade was irregularly published in Lexington, Kentucky, from 1884 through 1910. One of several rare free-thought newspapers in the United States, it was Kentucky's most controversial turn-of-the-century newspaper by far. According to its irreverent editor, Charles Chilton Moore (1837–1907), the Blade was published on Sundays to give the public thoughtful reading material on a day when it was most needed.

http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/ndnp/blade.html

My great grandfather was the editor after Charles Moore left the paper.

Though our family had roots in rationalism and skepticism regarding religion they still practiced a mild version of religious belief.

When I turned 5 years old our family moved to a small town in Maine where there was no Lutheran Church and no Catholic Church, so our parents chose the Congregational church for us to attend.
This church was not unlike the Lutheran church in many ways. They still seemed to worship this man who held a lamb in his arm and was often accompanied by little children.

There was a glorious pipe organ and sometimes a piano that would fill the acoustic area of the large church with its vaulted ceilings and towering steeple.

A choir rehearsed and sang every Sunday and children were assembled into Sunday school. Music seemed to be the way they communicated emotion and was the cohesive bond that connected the people to one another.

This was my earliest memories of a “minister”. A man who would stand facing the congregation and speak as if he had more reason to speak than anyone else.

He was always wearing a black robe and was young and charismatic.

He spoke softly and with a reasonable and gentle tone of voice.

In Sunday school we also sang, and we were instructed in the ways of the church. There were three main pillars of reason all surrounding this man Jesus. That he loved people, he fed and healed people and was somehow connected to this thing they called “God”.

He not only loved people, but he loved all people regardless of who or what they were, specifically, he loved people of ALL races and countries.

Though the church seemed to be filled with only well to do people they represented a compassionate and loving mission and duty to the world…

This was the only time in my life when religion perhaps was a worthy vocation.

From that time on religion became more restrictive and began to exhibit rules and exceptions to its policy of love for all.

My first exposure to this was when my mother decided that maybe the Mormon church might be a viable alternative to our regular church. Perhaps it was because they held child church services a different day and might have given her a break from our large family of 6 children.

We went to a few services and I remember only one “pillar” of this church that was spoken of nearly constantly and it was “reverence” (whatever that means). I understood it to mean respect or perhaps it was a way to keep children calm.

After only two times at their version of Sunday school my mother abruptly ripped us out of the church. She learned they had a doctrine that Black people were “cursed” to be black and if they were really good, they would turn white again. My mother could not get past that doctrine and immediately upon hearing it removed us from the church.

We went back to the Congregational church.

I was pretty much forced to attend church and church youth services into my early adult life. I realized I was gay and got bullied a lot by other boys, often at the behest of the minister who on a few occasions singled me out and spoke homophobic remarks directly to me. He happened to also be my boy scout leader and no matter how hard I tried to earn my badges and show my sterling character it seemed to always come down to me being not worthy.

But the time I reached 20 years old I had turned my back on the church. Not that I consciously decided to leave it, but I just simply blocked it out of my mind. It was too painful to even think about.

In the back of my mind I felt the Bible was some higher piece of literature that held mysteries and great learning, but many of the people evolved into narrow minded and judgmental instruments of the faith.

Religion had left me wounded, bewildered and hating myself.

My mother tried to rationalize the whole experience.

She had only two reasons why she continued down the road of faith. One was that, “God is love”… and the other was the comfort that there were “many ways to God” and that our own religious experience was only one of them. She did not believe that Jesus was the “only way” to God…

Music became my chosen profession, it seemed to be my only solace and my guitar was my only true friend, it never judged me or questioned my love.

Please come back for part two, I will post it here, once I write it.

You are all welcome to post your own experiences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 416 • Replies: 17

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:07 pm
Thanks for this writing. I look forward to the next installment.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 05:31 pm
The trolls are out voting my threads down again...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:25 pm
@TheCobbler,
An interesting read - I look forward to the next chapter Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 09:00 pm
"You are all welcome to post your own experiences."

My parents almost totally ignored religion. Almost, only, because they sometimes laughed at jokes aimed at the religious. And, when I was in the third grade, Mom bought us a set of hardcover books that rewrote the Bible into readable stories for the young. (I read them all) After that, we were on our own. Not that they did not believe there is a god. They just had no use for the bother of church and Bible reading. I had come to the conclusion gods did not exist. One night, lying in bed, it suddenly came to me that it is so. "Mom would not have such a hard life if there was a god," my youthful mind reasoned. After that, for weeks on end, I wrestled with the notion. Try as I might, I could find no reason to accept the notion of gods. "But, when I die, if there is no god, I will no longer exist." Total irrevocable death was frightening. But I consciously accepted that my life will end that way.

Somewhere in the mix, I had opportunity to attend church. The minister had offered a free ride. I was dissatisfied with my life ( being poorer than a church mouse and having disinterested parents, plus dealing with undiagnosed Asperger's, can have that effect), and the Christians claimed to have something that makes one's life gravitate toward perfection. I wanted that for myself. But it quickly became evident that it was a great farce, at least where I was concerned.

By the time I heard the case for evolution, I was receptive. I knew even before then that we and the other animals are in the same boat together, that we just have more power than the rest.

My step grandmother was amazed, years later to find out I did not grow up to be a minister. Sorry, Grandma.

I believe in music and art and am a political liberal, because I want our time on Earth to be constructive. There are few wars I consider necessary to have been fought at all, but I would kill to defend my loved ones. I believe migration of humans is often a necessity that ought not be thwarted. Above all, family.
TheCobbler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 05:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Very interesting read Edgar. You seem to have lumped all of the parts into one.

I hope you will expound on various points as this thread progresses.

Thanks for your input and insight, I find little that I can disagree with in your reasoning and rationale.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 06:09 am
Part two: To step back again into my earliest memories of the church, I remember being allowed to sing in the youth choir, even though I was too young to be a member. My mother pulled some stings and I was able to attend. I could not have been more than 8 years old.

I remember some words from three songs of that time.

One was called,

Sunshine Mountain

Climb climb up sunshine mountain
Heavenly breezes blow
Look to God on high
You and I...

Another one was

Jesus Loves the Little Children

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and yellow, black and white
They are precious in his sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Another one was called

This Little Light of Mine

This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel, No!
I'm gonna let it shine.

This is my recollection without googling them. These songs seemed to form the earliest thoughts and perceptions I had of the church and Jesus.

It was not people jumping around speaking tongues or preachers getting "slain in the spirit" or people suddenly lurching from their chairs frothing at the mouth in total bedlam.

No, it was rather sober and an inspiring time for me.

Yet the idyllic beginning seemed to fade as I learned more about life and religion.

Something inside of me refused to let go of this early idea of Jesus and the church. Perhaps it was the people who instilled this idea in my mind. They seemed so kind and genuine and I could really detect no ill will in their motives and expression of selfless love.

As I got older things in my life seemed to cloud out this early experience.

I had trauma and tragedy in my life and slowly, to compensate, succumbed to the vices and ways of the world.

Yet, I never forgot the feeling that love was the way towards holiness.

I could say that this was "love bashing" or religious indoctrination but in some ways, I feel fortunate that this was the case for me.

But as the "real world" came and knocked on my door I was suddenly awoken from this religious dream and I realized that life could be a nightmare of great terror and sadness.

Life all but squelched this little light of mine.

But I never lost the love for others and inside I still strived for peace, perhaps, I have been too gullible because of this experience but I do not think of myself that way. I cannot be certain how others perceive me.

Maybe it is I who is love bashing and indoctrinating others in this very same way?

Well, the horrors of life came and stole this peace from me as soon as it could.

My little light had all it could do to shine in the darkness that followed.

Yet I remained a good person, forgiving, kind, though not always trusting and sometimes aloof and solitary.

My music seemed to be the thing that lit my path and I followed it because it sang to me and drew me into its allure.

I felt it was logical to place within this music the heart that once filled my life with light and peace.

I felt if I did not place this light in my music then it would die and be quickly forgotten. I wanted to accomplish something that would endure.

Then there was the Bible to contend with, my music needed words, but not just any words. The words had to be intelligent, thoughtful and filled with mystery and charm.

I thought that if I read and studied this book that contained the story of Jesus that it would impart to me this intelligence and mystery.

I could not just read it, but I needed to "know" it and be certain of its true meaning.

But my life had led me to superstition and magic. I felt a division within my own psyche.

Religious devotion versus the occult and they both had their elements of trickery and fraudulent claims which seemed to elude my innocent inquiring mind.

I seemed to take things on face value as if they were all true. I was a walking conspiracy theorist.

It did not really matter what I thought because I became desperate to find answers. I would even go beyond what seemed reasonable and rational to provoke a response from what I perceived as truth.

This led me to the closest point I have ever come to death. My life hung in the balance and on one hand I had the world and on the other hand I had this religious childhood experience.

I did not know how to mature into a spiritual or fully functioning being.

I needed someone to guide me, but I did not know this at the time.

All I knew is that my life seemed to be spiraling out of control and I had left myself open to almost any calamity to befall me.

This could have both good and bad consequences depending on what the world would send my way.

If there were powers that be, I would find them and learn of their secrets...

I felt alone, and I wandered this world with an unfulfilled purpose.

I was susceptible to suggestion and drifted on the whims of every wind of doctrine.

Hopeless and willing to even trade my life for answers, or anything to feel alive again.

I needed a miracle...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 06:10 am
@ehBeth,
EhBeth, I hope to not disappoint you. Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:52 am
Part three: During this dark time of uncertainty in my life I made a few friends.

My boyfriend and I at the time would drink beers at the local bars in Bangor Maine with a trans man named Charlie Howard.

Charlie was a man who was transitioning into a woman, Charlie could not have been much older than 21 years. Just old enough to get into the bars, I was also about that age or a little older.

I remember Charlie was a good person and loved to laugh and have a good time. I was also fortunate enough to have met Charlie's boyfriend.

Charlie’s boyfriend was older than him by about ten years, he was a woodcarver and lived on a farm in Maine and planted and maintained an orchard of many various kinds of nuts and fruits.

I found Charlie's boyfriend a quite spiritual, friendly and likable person, he adored Charlie and planned his life around Charlie's.

I broke up with my boyfriend and found another boyfriend and he did not like me hanging around with Charlie. I was madly in love with this new boyfriend and I obeyed his wishes because I loved him so very much, to the point of “obsession”.

So, that night I saw Charlie down at the center of town hanging with our other friends and I walked along the other side of the street and passed on by, perhaps unnoticed.

That night some homophobic teenagers beat Charlie nearly to death and threw him over the bridge and he drowned in the river.

This was not quite the miracle I was looking for...

If there is a God, I really could not fathom what kind of message was being sent to me.

I felt like perhaps, had I been there, I could have saved Charlie from drowning, I am a Sr. lifeguard and I can take care of myself physically...

Or maybe, I too would have ended up drown in the river alongside Charlie. I cannot go back and change the way things turned out but the waves of repercussions in my life seem to never end regarding this incident.

Every year Charlie Howard is remembered on Trans Remembrance Day here in the US. And every year I seem to end up at these ceremonies to only cry silently for Charlie and I rarely ever reveal that I was his friend. My path seems to lead me to these ceremonies due to my close participation the gay community.

Charlie is remembered all over the US on this day and few of the people honoring his life knew him like I did.

Why? Because loving "all people" is what my life is about. This was why he was my friend in the first place.

I just wish in Charlie's darkest hour I could have been there for him. I do not know how to reconcile this memory other than to feel sad and defend other LGBTQ people with an even greater commitment.

Rest in peace dear Charlie, you will be forever young, I will never forget your smile and the good times we had together…

This incident left me in the dark even more spiritually. Had I not listened to my lover, I do not know if I would be here to write the account of this story. Perhaps Charlie would have lived, and I would have died.

I am not transgendered, so I do not think I would have been remembered in such a way.

I was not there, but God watched it happen. God heard Charlie cry out and still Charlie was left to die…

God's "mysterious ways" seem more like neglect, a lack of love and concern.

Would there be a miracle which would direct my life in some new direction?

Instead, I seemed destined to feel sadness and experience great loss in the face of terrible uncertainty.

Charlie Howard has raised awareness of the abuse that trans people face every day, but was it necessary for Charlie to die?

I like to think I live in a world where the answer to that question is, no.

Why was I pulled from Charlie's life at the last moment? I had no idea that this was going to happen to Charlie. I saw no harm in temporarily backing off the situation at my lover’s request.

I just know that it is strange the way this all happened and I will forever be haunted by this experience…

Charlie Howard (murder victim)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Howard_(murder_victim)

http://external.bangordailynews.com/projects/2014/06/charlie/images/howard.jpg

Charlie Howard
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 02:31 am
Friends

Life is but a moment
From the beginning to the end
To find a special someone
That you can call your friend

The world may pass away
In the twinkling of an eye
But the memory of a friend
Shall remain and never die

People they can vary
Like the meaning of a phrase
But a friend you can depend on
All your living days

You can look the whole world over
Everywhere under the sun
And never find a friend
For first you must truly be one

People they can vary
Like the meaning of a phrase
But a friend you can depend on
All your living days

RexRed
Written 8/28/84

I wrote this right after Charlie died about my boyfriend (of whom I was obsessed over) not realizing that it was probably unconsciously about Charlie...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 06:15 am
@TheCobbler,
Wow...Charlie Howard. I'm from Maine. I know his story. I think about him every time I cross over Kenduskeag Stream in Bangor.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 04:27 pm
Part 4:

During my high school years, I recall Christianity was never spoken of by any of my teachers.

One of my teachers was a minister and the principal of our school but still he never spoke of it in class. Yet, I recall him teaching us Greek mythology.

I later found this odd because the Christian pantheon is rooted in pagan Gods and Goddesses.

As much of our politics, science, medicine and athletics... also have their roots in Greek and Roman thought.

One of our teachers was once reprimanded for apparently speaking about the Bible in class. He was a history teacher and I do not remember him being that "religious". I think he might have been a free thinker. But, discussing Christianity was a taboo and as for Islam it was never even mentioned as a side note. It was okay to mention Persia but not Islam.

I think a worthy consideration is to dissect the word "minister" and consider its roots.

I always have thought of the word minister as coming from the word administer.

To administer something.

What does a minister then "administer"?

And does the word minister also come from the word administration?

And how does the word administration compare to the word dispensation?

All these questions require a source for answers whether if one searches the holy books for one, Webster’s, Wikipedia, Google or simply make stuff up...

What is the source for learning?

Shall our answers come from religion or from the world? ...and how and why do they both differ?

This inquiry seems to be at the heart of what happened next in my religious journey.

I decided at the ripe old age of 18 to write a book. The book was to be a blend of both religious and occult thought. It would be a mystery thriller with a bit of horror thrown in. Sort of like my life at the time.

I had the main characters, a boy named Danny (about my own age at the time a little younger) and a strange woman named Emma.

There was also an antagonist named Endrolfa.

I had about five chapters written, and the book's name was "The Water Bearer"...

Was I becoming a minister? What was I administering? Water?

It seemed that all I really had to offer was a confusing tale of uncertainty. I had not spiritually matured. I was intelligent and well educated but I was so unsure of what I really believed in.

I had one very glaring hole in my education. I was very nonpolitical.

I really had somehow escaped ever really thinking about politics.

I was in my mid to late thirties before I even asked myself the simple question, "What is the difference between a republican and a democrat?"

I was too busy learning to sing, play stringed instruments, writing love songs and use technology... mixers, reel to reels, computers and effects devices.

My only political thought was my own good and kind-hearted nature which seemed to always be under attack by those who would seek to do wrong.

It was as if I could not even perceive politics... That part of my brain did not even function. I was not even aware it existed. I seemed to be blind to the news, I heard the news and saw it going on but it did not register a mental response.

As if my music was too loud to hear the world around me.

When I work up, I was somehow a republican because that was what my parents were... I had to then consider the character of my parents to ascertain what kind of republican they were.

I had to backtrack and reassess my upbringing.

But I have gotten ahead of myself.

I am still 18 years old and wandering the streets of Bangor Maine searching for answers to life and love...

My mother kept trying to help me make it on my own. She was full of very helpful advice and she would set me up in apartments (quite a few). I would find a job and not make enough to pay the rent and get evicted and end up back home again. I recall living in about 10 or more different apartments.

Each time failure to pay rent would become an issue and I would end up back on the streets.

I would ask her to help me again she would drive me back to Bangor and I would find a job and another apartment and try again to make a go of things.

This was when I was the most depressed in my entire life. I could not seem to make a success of it. I felt like I was drowning in my own despair.

My book was a collection of schizophrenic ideas all masquerading as reason and sanity.

I wrote my first song called, "This Lonely Man". Prior to that I just sung other people's music.

I was 18 years old when I wrote my first song. I was quite proud of it and I felt I had the gift of song writing. Something in the words convinced me that I could write songs.

It had just never occurred to me up until that point to try and write songs. There were so many good songs to sing that others had written. I had hundreds of vinyl albums by artists that I had admired most of my life.

Perhaps these other artists were also a stream of consciousness that had educated me along with my religious counterparts.

I had been indoctrinated with politics and religion without me even knowing it.

But I had hundreds of songs learned and the words memorized. Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Heart, Linda Ronstadt...

The real me was inside screaming and trying to emerge from the cocoon of my adolescence.

The pop world was my minister.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2018 03:09 am
Part 5:

To begin the next phase of my religious journey, I will supply a bit of background information.

What I knew versus what I did not know at age 18…

I knew about Noah and the flood, I knew about Joseph and the pharaohs of Egypt. I knew about Job, and Cain and Abel, I knew about the ten commandments, Abraham, Moses, and I knew about the parables of Jesus and the trials of his disciples. I knew about Jesus’ birth, life and unfortunate end.

What I did not know was what happened after the crucifixion.

Jesus died and then what? I knew the disciples became apostles and then they all died horrible deaths at the hands of the Romans. That was about the extent of my post crucifixion knowledge.

I knew about the Dead Sea scrolls but not much about their content.

I did not know about the apocrypha and the early 1st century church, I just knew that Christianity overtook Rome and became the dominant religion of Europe and parts of Asia. Christians were fed to lions for a while there...

So, Jesus came and died, and his religion spread, but the details of that religion seemed like a bunch of moral tales of societal love and “brotherhood” …

This seemed to be the best that traditional religion had to offer. Like the movie/musical, “Jesus Christ Superstar” ends with his resurrection and then, ends… leaving the viewer in the dark about what it all meant. The only books I could name that came after the Gospels was the book of Revelation.

The extent of my religious learning one had to draw their own conclusions as to the purpose of Jesus.

It seemed that my conclusions about the whole affair left me pretty much in the dark.

I felt like I had a good biblical knowledge, but I still felt somehow lost and confused.

But that was what the world seemed like also.

This enabled me to invite and entertain any type of ending I wanted for the story. My religion became a “personal thing”.

And most of my knowledge came from word of mouth. I had not actually read the stories in the Bible, I had been taught them through various teachers and television.

In a court of law that is called, “hearsay”… It seemed that there was an unwritten rule that only actual ministers read and studied the book. Average people just followed along with whatever they said.

Average people were somehow incapable of understanding the words in the book, so they were encouraged to listen to those who were somehow accredited with the gift theosophical education and insight.

So, I never really bothered to read the Bible on my own because it seemed too difficult an undertaking even though I had owned a Bible most of my life with my name monogrammed on it.

I had read, Call of the Wild, Siddhartha and many other books but, the Bible, I simply relied on what others had to say about it.

So, if what I believed was true, I had no real factual reason to rely on that belief.

What did the Bible say about when life began, evolution, drugs, alcohol, even the ten commandments were something I had read detached from the actual scriptures?

Everyone knew that the Bible had undergone many copies and translations such that its original meaning was somehow obscured and altered.

So what basis did I have to believe in Protestantism versus Catholicism? I had only the words of others who claimed to have read and studied the book and were relaying to me secondhand what its message was.

What if people judged us only by what other had to say about us?

Therein lied the rub… How could I credit or discredit what I believed when my knowledge was given to me one or more levels removed from the source?

I had to be able to say for sure what the words were in the book before I could argue if they were truth or fiction.

And what if the book itself was a lie, the very words within were a complete fabrication? (this seemed quite probable actually)

Well, being removed from the source only made matters worse.

So and so said that this is what Jesus said…

Which version should I read and why that version?

How did I get to the closest version that was unadulterated by forgeries and omissions?

Would I ever be able to really know what was being said for sure?

All these variables are what cause most people to simply give up and maintain the status quo.

The task is too daunting and by the time they begin their search they are already indoctrinated by mistruths, biased and what the Bible would call “wolves”…

So, this is what I was when the next phase of my journey grabbed hold of me. I was vulnerable to any type of intervention and I would have gladly followed the lemmings off a cliff had that been the case. The tempter could whisper anything in my ear and I might have gladly followed along.

Would life leave me in this state perpetually? Would it offer me a grandiose vision of sterling character, or would I be led further into darkness till my light was snuffed out by the smallest of a wind?

You will have to decide this for yourself as I progress on further through this religious journey…
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 01:36 pm
Part 6: This thread is about to reach the zenith of what it is about "me" that sets people on end...

What caused them to both admire me and likewise causes them to feel afraid and unsure.

Like a "cult", which both scares people yet also allures people into them.

It is a combination or mix of a religious and spiritual experience like, living at the Ashram for a year or being a student of Socrates.

This kind of experience marks and mars one for life such that, people are always fascinated and bewildered at your very presence.

The experience seemingly bestows one with gifts and attributes that many seek and never can obtain; thus, they end up less illustrious; smart, but not "genius".

Is this wit, is it education or it is a combination of both?

For a hunk of clay is fashioned differently by the set of hands that endeavor to shape it.

Is it imagination mixed in with a bit of insanity or autism? Is it trauma and agony that gives way to experience and wisdom?

Regardless, it seems that either a religious journey facilitates this kind of euphoria or it attracts those to it and religion is simply credited with the eventual outcome.

It is magnetism, beauty, charisma and art mixed with form and animation.

It is brilliance that eludes all but the smartest one in the room.

It is show and theatrics played by a professional savant dramatician.

It is proof reasoned by the assumptions and theorems of life.

It is leagues above and fathoms below.

It is lofty words woven in the language of the heart.

It is love focused like a laser so intense and unrelenting… light, fire, conviction and desire.

It is knowing beyond all reason and rational, reading minds before their thoughts are even spoken; giving conclusions before the foundations of inquiry have even been formulated.

Answering while one is still questioning…

How does one achieve this illustrious state of Nirvana in life?

Is it obtained while meditating under the Bodhi tree, or carried up from the depths of inquisition on the wings of the great ibis bird?

It is it whispered by a spirit and discerned by holy books of great learning, law and ritual?

Like a mechanical clock that tics out a cadence exponentially more metered and precise than even human reckoning of time, we count towards infinity even as we are counted by it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 10:16 am
For some reason even at a very young age the whole atmosphere surrounding the "holy" and "holiness" made my skin crawl. My family wasn't religious but for some reason my father (a freethinker) used to read passages from the bible to us on Sunday mornings and I even attended a Sunday school briefly — it was, I might add, Unitarian. My mother's family was Catholic and I was taught to be respectful toward religion, even if it was something we didn't really believe in.

Anyway, as a kid it wasn't the idea of the supernatural that turned me off. While I didn't believe in "God" I accepted most of the other cultural crap that was stuffed into children's imaginations — Santa Claus, the Easter rabbit, witches, ghosts, etc. No, it was the quality of religious stories that turned me off. I didn't like the characters. I didn't like the way they spoke. I resented the ceaseless moralism and the unquestioned authority. I found the bible tales depressing and almost pathetic when compared to Greek mythology.

I guess the other big thing was the way people just accepted the stories and the authority of the written word and the sickeningly pathetic aura of the "sacred" — those pictures of the haloed baby savior, later the grown-up blue eyed, blond haired "Jesus" (who looked like as Nordic Adonis), and of course all the hackneyed cliches which were stuck into the narrative to make it more commercially appealing.

I just couldn't understand how people could believe this stuff — or why anyone would even want to...

(And, for what it's worth, I earned a bachelor's degree in theology and religious studies from Fordham University.)
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2019 05:48 pm
Love is the greatest force in nature, it can be colder than an arctic freeze and hotter than the sun, it is more tumultuous than a tornado and fiercer than a storm at sea. Love is like a hungry lion's roar yet it is more delicate than a beautiful flower. Love pours its emotions down like warm rain and it is softer than the kiss of spring. TC
mystikmind

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2019 06:25 pm
@TheCobbler,
My favorite bible story is that one where Jesus draws a line in the sand to defend the lowly prostitute. I defy any Christian to say he would not have done the same if the persecuted person was a homosexual?

Just think about it, can you really imagine Jesus throwing stones at the homosexual along with the crowd?

NO!.... but he may say "go in peace and sin no more"
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 07:07 am
@mystikmind,
You implication is that homosexuality is a sin?

It is not.

Hate is the sin here.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My Religious Journey
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:59:08