I've got a Ryobi 310 BVR leaf blower, with a 31cc 2-stroke engine, which I bought used ($75) at least
15 years ago and while it's had it's ups and downs, it's been remarkably dependable. I had to replace the carburetor ($15) a couple of years ago, which gave the blower a whole new lease on life.
Here more recently, I gradually seemed to have trouble getting the blower started and running - until now it just won't start at all. Thinking that the carburetor was plugged again, I purchased a new one, and this time the "kit" came with a carburetor, new primer bulb, fuel filter, fuel lines and even a new spark plug. All for $14 (not bad).
I swapped everything out and reassembled the blower - but no luck on getting it started. On the last carburetor swap, the blower started on the second pull.
This problem actually seemed more like an ignition problem. This seemed all the more strange, since I had just installed a new spark plug - although the old spark plug was still in pretty good condition and only showed a little bit of carbon deposits. Regardless, the new spark plug was essentially brand new.
This blower has a magneto to generate current from the rotation of the flywheel and send power to the spark plug - and to generate a spark to ignite fuel in the cylinder. So, I pulled the spark plug and with it attached to the spark plug wire and rotated the flywheel, but I observed no spark at the plug's tip. I even tried swapping out the old spark plug, which I knew was working the prior week. But nothing. So, using my voltmeter, I checked to see if the magneto was even sending power to the spark plug when the flywheel was rotated. And yes, current was definitely being generated and registering cyclically on the voltmeter.
So, the problem seems clearly attributable just to an issue with ignition, and a lack of spark being generated by the spark plug. I guess I should check the continuity of the spark plug, from the head to the tip. The thing I don't know, is what amount of current should be being generated by the magneto? I can't imagine the magneto would somehow being generating too little current, although I can't say I know that for sure. I think I'll stop there and see what suggestions or questions people recommend. And yes, I know that for my $75 I've probably more than favorably amortized my original investment over the past 20 years. I just like to fix things that are well . . . fixable.