13

Random News from the Rest of the World

Lash

1  
Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:36 pm
The Puerto Rican people have rolled a guillotine to the governor’s mansion.

One way or another, I think there’s going to be a new governor.

Olivier5

2  
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 08:34 am
Learnt with sadness that comic book author Claire Bretécher, who created "Agrippine", my current teenage gravatar, has passed away at the age of 79. Her work was extremely popular in the 70's and 80's. I've always been a huge fan. She was a feminist author, but never at the expense of humour or self-loathing.

https://img.lemde.fr/2015/11/13/0/0/3543/2436/688/0/60/0/d163a79_2792-1dnk7m9.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gcs0Nckse34/VzXm7AYl8jI/AAAAAAAAFj4/Ia2SEpu4DFUIVRZF_CdH00s4SOFxOIXXQCKgB/s1600/b093e2c24d2ee015a2f61c4f2c583e8f84ea50a1_CB-75-01.jpg
So long, sweetheart.

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 10:37 am
...by the way, Portugal ranks 4th in safety and low crime on the whole world.
Olivier5

1  
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 10:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
My plan for retirement is heading to Morocco. But maybe I'll stop in Lisboa on my way there.

Where about do you live, BTW?

1  
Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 02:24 pm
@Olivier5,
Tourists are a scourge and a plague around the world.
Why Pakistanis In the Otherworldly Highlands Aren't Happy to See Pakistani Tourists
https://imgur.com/qfcyzgQ.jpg
Olivier5

1  
Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 03:39 pm
I was in those places in my youth: Kagam, Swat, Chitral, etc. I worked with the forester corp a little, and visited a lot of placrs for fun. Absolutely gorgeous, near pristine Himalayan valleys: it was something to behold.

Fast forward to now, Pakistan population x 2 or 3... The new middle class endowed with some money and the same crass nouveaux riches manners as everywhere else... I can picture them taking selfies all over and strewing the place. Hope the damage to these remarkable sites remains localized.
Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 05:29 am
@Olivier5,
Germany: Mini-dinosaur fossil discovery hailed as 'sensation'
The skull of a 10-centimeter-long dinosaur has been discovered in a German quarry. The 240 million-year-old fossil may offer insight into the evolution of modern lizards.

The tiny skull of a miniature dinosaur has been discovered in Germany, scientists from the Stuttgart Natural History Museum announced on Thursday.

The fossil was found in a quarry in the town of Vellberg in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg, and belongs to a new type of dinosaur of around 10 centimeters (3.9 inches) in length. The creature is believed to have lived around 240 million years ago.

"It is a scientific sensation," said paleontologist Rainer Schoch. The miniature skull shows a great deal of similarities to modern-day lizards and snakes.

"The little animal is exciting, because we know so little about the ancestors of lizards and snakes," Schoch explained. "We have discovered a new species."

The "mini-dinosaur" has been given the scientific name Vellbergia bartholomaei, after the name of the town where it was discovered and the fossil collector Alfred Bartholomä.

The creature existed on earth around 20 million years before large dinosaurs evolved. The 12-millimeter long skull was examined under a tomograph to determine how the dinosaur ate and the size of its brain.

https://i.imgur.com/huFBAn6.jpg