Catch-22, would you recommend it?

Ray

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 04:59 pm
Hi, I'm wondering whether this is a good book or not. After reading first chapter, it seems like a satire of some sort.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,836 • Replies: 34
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
If you don't like it, you're crazy.

And if you're crazy, you won't like it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:14 pm
Lol. Boomerang is funning with you, using Catch 22.

It is an absolutely classic satire upon the horror and futility of war - and the military machine.

Heller sets it in WW II, but was, himself, in the Korean war, as I understand it.

It is an extremely black, but very humanist, and humane, satire.

I find the sexism pretty revolting - but still enjoy it for its brilliance and stunningly iconoclastic vision.

It is also extremely funny.

http://www.levity.com/corduroy/heller.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:26 pm
It's been years since I read it, but yes, I recommend it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:53 pm
The military-industrial complex—M & M Enterprises: that's what it's about.

Read the book, and then see the movie, or vice versa. Both are great.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:23 pm
Read the book before watching the movie. There is so much more in the book.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:47 pm
Actually, I would go further. Skip the movie. It's awful. I read this about 35 years ago, but I remember absolutely loving it and thinking that it was brilliant. Certain parts have stuck with me to this day like Clevinger's court martial.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:49 pm
The book is brilliant but I wouldn't pan the movie. Mike Nichols tried to get the gist of it...but...Art Garfunkle? What was he thinking?
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:59 pm
It must be read if only to try to understand its key admonition:

Catch 22 means they can do anything to you that you can't stop them from doing.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:30 am
My friend said that he didn't like it because it was confusing. lol.

Thank you for your help. Very Happy

I think I should read the author's biography too, to see where he's coming from.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
Ok after reading a few chapters.... I can't stand this book. I don't know, I found it confusing and I don't like it. There.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
I also highly recommend it. Unless you are humorless and witless, in which case you won't like it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:09 pm
Ray wrote:
Ok after reading a few chapters.... I can't stand this book. I don't know, I found it confusing and I don't like it. There.

The thing is that the vignettes are out of time sequence, but you soon learn the timeline and then recognize what time period you are reading about. At least I think so. I was about 15 at the time I read it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
Yeah, but you didn't breast feed on Super Mario. Teenagers want books that explode with action...right now!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:22 pm
I loved Catch 22, it was actually a text used at my school, but I read it off my own bat. The mixed time sequence vignettes that the narrative keeps returning to and feeding you a little bit more info really built up an anticipation of what would happen in all the mini stories. I can see why some people might find it challenging, but it was well worth the effort. I love Appleby and Major Major Major Major. And Doc Daneeka and the purple toes.

I read it once thirty years ago and I still remember character's names - what does that say about the book?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:32 pm
I read it when I was at school too - not a set book in my ladylike little school at that time!

Loved it.

I have actually tutored it - with a bunch of Vietnam veterans who were back completing their educations.

THAT was an extremely interesting experience - to say the least!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:54 pm
Quote:
Yeah, but you didn't breast feed on Super Mario. Teenagers want books that explode with action...right now!

Not quite true. I guess it depends on who you talk to. I'm a teenager and I want a book that's meaningful and good to read; it doesn't have to have much action/fast action.

I feel pretty dumb now Embarrassed .
I don't know, some things I don't understand, like what's with Yossarian and Clevinger talking like that? I guess I'll read the book again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:00 pm
Don't feel dumb!!!!!!

It is likely a book that appeals, or does not.

It is not about dumbness!

If you DO decide to read it - and don't let anyone else's opinion sway you, you do what YOU want to - feel free to run any puzzlements past us, eh?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:13 pm
Yossarian is you Ray....and me and all the little people that struggle against the maze of rules that make up our society. That it's happening in WWII is just a coincidence. It applies now just as much.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:18 pm
I think Ray is Nuttley.

Hey there's a game! Which character in Catch 22 do you most identify with? Catch 22 Astrology....
0 Replies