Why do Southerners reffer to their relatives as Kin?

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 01:42 am
This is a serious question I'd like to know a little history behind the word & reference if anyone knows.

engineer

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 05:39 am
@bosstownmike,
It's old English. You can start your research here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kin
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 06:22 am
To elaborate on what Engineer has written, cynn, the Anglo-Saxon version of the word, means quite literally, family. It also means race or type, and the words kind and child have the same Proto-Germanic root. The word has remained common for more than a thousand years, and it is not just Americans from the southern states who use it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 07:36 am
We wish you a Merry Christmas
And a happy new year

Good tidings we bring to you and your kin
Good tidings for Christmas
And a happy new year

Oh, bring us a figgy pudding
And a cup of good cheer

We won't go until we get some
So bring some out here

And a happy new year

When I had to sing it at primary school we initially thought it was king, the teacher soon put us right.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 08:26 am
I don't know why but Oliver Twist comes to mind.

0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 03:08 pm
Hay Boss, my cow up and died last night, so I don’t need your bull. That question makes about as much sense as screen doors on a submarine and even tho I’ma busier than a cranberry merchant in November, I’m havin’ more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.

So pull up a chair and help yourself to some victuals from the gunnysack and I’ll tell y’all what my Pa said when he asked his wife who is my sister…

‘Its a shorter version of kinfolk; meaning one's family. Someone who is connected to you by blood or marriage, i.e. your kinsman, kinswoman, kindred, relation, relative.’

However, if you upend the word (with the N on the bottom) it looks like the Korean slang word for depart hence and multiply.
Or to use the vernacular and the lowest common denominator of lingua franca; eff off.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 04:14 am
@Tryagain,
Over here 'kin is slang for a shortened version of effing, such as 'kin 'ell.

As in the exchange between Dell Boy and Rodney.

What's the French for duck?

It's canard.

Yeah, it really is.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 09:19 am
FYI:
https://www.etymonline.com/word/kin#etymonline_v_1860
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do Southerners reffer to their relatives as Kin?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 11:15:31