Favorite Love Stories?

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:51 pm
My favorite twentieth-century love stories are "Swann In Love", the third section of Proust's SWANN'SWAY, and THE END OF THE AFFAIR by Graham Greene. What are your favorite love stories and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,931 • Replies: 24
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:34 pm
Hmmm...

This is off the top of my head, and subject to revision, but I'll say "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:19 pm
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez.

Menzogna e sortilegio, strangely translated as House of Liars, by Elsa Morante.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:30 pm
I agree on Love in the Time of Cholera, I just read it recently. A book to savor, and I could do with rereading it, or scanning again for my favorite passages. I understand that by now there are tomes written about this book, but it is fresh to me.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:32 pm
I began reading Love In the Time of Cholera several years ago when it first came out in American paperback but couldn't get into it. You folks are making me think I should give it another try. In general I am not a big Marquez fan--there are other Latin American writers I prefer like the Cuban Cabrera Infante and the Peruvian Vargas Llosa, whose THE FEAST OF THE GOAT was the best new novel I read last year.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:37 pm
Speaking of Vargas Llosa, here's my nominee: Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter. Lots of fun!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:41 pm
larry, I'm not a big fan of García Márquez either (I like most of his work, but I think magical realism is a bit overhyped). IMHO, Love in the Time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are his best accomplishments.

Cabrera Infante is a hell of a good writer, the (very Cuban) way he plays with language is fascinating. I loved Tres Tristes Tigres.

I also have to agree on Vargas Llosa. Like Borges, he's underappreaciated because of his political views. Both The Feast of the Goat and The War of the End of the World are masterpieces.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 12:59 pm
Fbaezer:

Yes, the Cabrera Infante novel THREE TRAPPED TIGERS is one of the best I've ever read. It must be stunning in Spanish. I liked it better than any Marquez I've ever read.

I must read more Vargas Llosa. D'Art recommended AUNT JULIA and you nominated THE WAR AT THE END OF THE WORLD, so they are now both on my list. I dislike judging writers by their politics, because there are some miserably bad writers whose politics I endorse and some brilliant writers like Celine whose politics I deplore. The two things really have nothing to do with one another.

It's funny how this thread about love stories has morphed into a Latin American fiction thread!!!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
Do men read more romance novels than women?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:42 pm
I am having trouble remembering love stories I liked. Which of course says more about me than the stories, or does it. I think dramatic romance as such thrives on inaccessibility and I have outgrown thinking of that as intensely interesting - not always, but generally. Love in the Time of Cholera interested me past that. I do remember my first love story, which other people think of as a 'western'...the Virginian. by Owen Wister. As a thirteen year old girl I was transfixed and read and reread it over and over. Sure it was a western but to me it was terribly romantic.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:39 pm
"Lovers who love truly do not write down their happiness."
--Anatole France

I think some of the greatest love stories are by Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew and As You Like It, for example. I suppose Romeo & Juliet would have to be included though I always thought they were stupid, young & annoyingly stupid.

Osso -- I loved the Virginian. Never thought of it as a love story, but I loved the character himself, what a man! It was written, strangely enough, in Eastern Washington.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:21 pm
Piffka, to me the greatest Shakesperean love story of them all is Antony And Cleopratra--it has his most beautiful poetry and tells his most passionate love story. "The world well lost for love..."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:26 pm
My gosh, I don't know it well at all. I'll have to set about reading that very soon. Thanks.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:59 am
On the recommendation of you folks, I gave LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA a second chance and am enjoying it very much. I still doubt whether Marquez is truly a great novelist--he seems facile rather than deep to me--but it is a fun read.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:11 pm
I'd have to say that one about Al & Tipper Gore.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:15 pm
Let's leave the Gores out of this. I want to digest my breakfeast.

I finished reading the Marquez last night and was quite disappointed. It is not a great love story or a great anything. In fact, it is a fairly ridiculous novel which can't make up its mind whether it is comic or serious, and so is neither. The characters are puppetrs, never achieving imaginative life. I didn't care whethere the elderly couple was reunited or not in the end; I just wanted the endlessly glib, empty narrative to come to an end. It is a sad commentary on contemporary literature that Marquez is hailed as a master.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:22 pm
Well, I'm glad you aren't censor of all, Larry, because I'm glad to have read it. Since when does literature have to be either comic or serious?
0 Replies

Trailblazer

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 06:49 am
Gone With The Wind
Wuthering Heights

Both capture the passion and irrationality of romantic love.

(Antony and Cleopatra--also a favorite of mine)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:00 am
Hello Larry

There are so many! And it's late & hard to think, but here's two love stories of the "unrequited" variety by Vikram Seth that I really enjoyed:

A Suitable Boy
An Equal Music.

Why? Well, I liked the depth of understanding I gained about the main characters in both stories. I became very involved all all sorts of aspects of their lives. I also like the strong sense of PLACE in his writing. (I'll include The Golden Gate here, too.).
I wanted both these novels to end differently, but not to be! Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:04 am
Many good ones mentioned. I recall loving Green Mansions, by Hudson, when very young. Also Cyrano de Bergerac, by Rostand.
0 Replies