Best ways to get rid of telemarketers

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:31 am
ossobuco wrote:
I wish I could cut through salesshit to have a simple conversation, but there is this programmatic training they all have. Er, Slappy, if you're reading, you don't seem to be completely programmed, although I suppose you don't let your guard down.

Well I'm not programmed like a telemarketer. Telemarketing is one of the most bottom of the barrell sales jobs. They pay crap(and you get what you pay for), and the employers must go through a ton of people.

Good salespeople take on a consultive approach, qualifying the customer and identifying needs. Most telemarketers just start yapping away the second the phone picks up, which is why they're so annoying. But they're trying to grab your attention in the first couple seconds. To them, it's a numbers game. They have to make a lot of calls to close a decent amount of sales, because the call/close ratios are usually awful.

Has anyone here done telemarketing?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:43 am
I did. It was the longest and most humbling three months of my life.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:45 am
I'll bet it was, eoe!
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
Being from the deep South, when I cold called all over the US and sold plaques to Car Dealers (while in college) I said "If I can do this I can do anything"I did pretty good for awhile, but it got OLD QUICK..
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
I've done it before. Actually, I take calls right now for a call center, so at least I'm not bothering anyone. I haven't even gotten a call for four minutes. Nice and confy.

Just so you guys know, there often isn't even a list, and even if there is, most telemarketers don't want to take the time to actually take you off of it.

I'm a particularly bad person though, and I do lots of mean things to customers.

What bugs me to no end is when customers ask to talk to a supervisor. I usually refuse, because that is just stupid for everybody. They don't need to talk to a supervisor... silly people.
0 Replies

hotsauce

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:37 am
I always listen. I can't hang up...and they don't pause long enough to let me say anything! The gibberish thing might be the best move...you can interject that anywhere. I usually wind up listening to the whole thing though...and just saying no, thanks (and feeling guilty).
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:51:55