I predict that Oprah Winfrey will be president one day!

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
Yeh, that's the prob. I doubt that she'd be interested in the gig. Stewart has too much baggage. Now, Coindi Rice, I think, could beat Hillary Clinton. And that's exactly what I see shaping up for 2008.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Yeh, that's the prob. I doubt that she'd be interested in the gig. Stewart has too much baggage. Now, Coindi Rice, I think, could beat Hillary Clinton. And that's exactly what I see shaping up for 2008.

Lack of a penis may hamper their Presidential ambitions. In the past 3 centuries no woman has ever been considered for the top job. Did you know that the first woman ever to become governor IN HER OWN RIGHT (not taking over from her husband who was the incumbent) was Ella Grasso in Connecticut - that was 1974!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:16 pm
In comparison the Islamic nation of Pakistan has had a woman Prime Minister TWICE! (Benazir Bhutto: 1988-1990 and 1993-1996).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:44 am
I don't think this country is ready for a woman president YET and they won't be in 2008 either. We're just bumping our gums with this Oprah/Condi/Hillary talk.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:07 am
I wasn't serious about Stewart as presidential candidate. It's as absurd as Oprah for president. Ever since Reagan, it seems that the only qualifications are a celebrity status or someone with name recognition. Europeans were stunned with Bush's re-election, and they must think we're all idiots who would vote for Mickey Mouse.

If a woman ran, I'd like to see Madelaine Albright, Clinton's Secretary of State. She makes Condi Rice seem like Bush's lap dog, which she is. Hell, she makes Bush seem like Bush's lap dog. Is this possible?
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:17 am
Oprah is black and a woman, two things going against her, she won't be President.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:27 am
And she's not a politician. This is supposed to be a joke thread, and you guys start analyzing Oprah's chances.

Dammit, I predict...PAULY SHORE!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:34 am
I nominate Slappy Doo Hoo for prez in 2008!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:48 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
In comparison the Islamic nation of Pakistan has had a woman Prime Minister TWICE! (Benazir Bhutto: 1988-1990 and 1993-1996).

Benazir had the advantage of being the daughter of a famous, much-honored symbol figure of a politician though (Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Prime Minister until he was deposed by General Zia ul Haq). Much like Megawati Sukarnoputri got elected President of Indonesia thanks largely to being Sukarno's daughter, the Gandhi women (Indira, Sonia) were elected to some extent on the basis of their family name and Corazon Aquino became Fillipino President thanks also to being the widow of beloved opposition senator Benigno Aquino Jr (who had been assassinated on his return from exile a few years before).

Hmm. Jenna Bush, the first female President of the USA? Or perhaps the twins can do it together, working part-time and staying at home with the kids part-time? (That should satisfy the Christian base). Now that would be electoral renewal.

Course, you'd need a spell of dictatorship first for that to happen though. And George would probably have to be assassinated in the process.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
I don't see a Rice-Clinton clash as fantastic at all. Nobody would vote for a woman? What if there was no choice, if both parties ran female candidates? The idea of Oprah Winfrey might be a joke, but the possibility of a female president in the imminent future is quite real. If the Democrats put up Hillary as a candidate, Condi might well be the GOP's only choice. Hillary would get all the female vote otherwise.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:40 pm
Quote:
Benazir had the advantage of being the daughter of a famous, much-honored symbol figure of a politician though

I was aware of that NIMH. It just seems worth saying that if a reactionary, Islamic nation like Pakistan could do it (and let her take OFF time to have a baby!) then why the USA drags out the same brain-dead, white, millionaires everytime* is beyond me!

*and it's often claimed that they are poles apart!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:41 pm
Funny thing, Condi Rice is single. That's takes her out of the running for sure - they last person who was single and elected President was Buchanan (I think) and that was like before Condi's ancestors were freed.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:02 pm
Being single might be an advantage, Stilly. We wouldn't have to try and figure out what to call the President's husband -- First Gentleman? The Presidential Consort? Boggles the mind, sort of.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:02 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Being single might be an advantage, Stilly. We wouldn't have to try and figure out what to call the President's husband -- First Gentleman? The Presidential Consort? Boggles the mind, sort of.

I don't know - it always opens you up to the charge that you're queer for one thing. I can't quite remember how they coped with Dennis Thatcher, he seemed like a real drip anyhow. All I know is the title 'Duke of Edinburgh' is already taken (by a Greek of all people).........
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 04:07 am
Dennis got sort of cupboarded, didn't he. But, then, the Poms have never made a big deal of prime ministerial consorts. The royals, of course, are another matter. I mean, I don't even know Mrs. Blair's given name. But the Americans have this embarassingly sexist 'First Lady' thing. Given some of the fairly recent White House sexual shenanigans, perhaps the Constitution should be changed to include a celibacy clause, a la the Roman Church. "No president or candidate for the office of president shall be a married person." Hmm. Maybe old James Buchanan had a good idea.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
It's 'Cheryl' - which is as appealing as 'Dennis'.

And Camilla will be 'Queen Camilla'. You mob think you've got problems.....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:28 pm
Cheree Blair

rhymes with Sheeeesh!

Queen Camilla and the tampon!

Great days ahead!

Roll on the republic!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
Now, now. She'll only be the Duchess of Cornwall for starters, not queen.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 10:17:29