Is this jealousy?

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 07:24 am
My fiancé is kind and loving, and typically very secure. But there have been some moments of jealousy from him (I guess it's jealousy?) and it concerns me. I am a tactile person, and my communication style for my whole life (I'm older) is that I will often pat a hand or rub a shoulder when I'm taking to someone. It doesn't matter if that person is male or female, young or old. It's just the way I communicate and always have. Every so often, he will take exception to this and ask me "what's going on?" or "what's that about?" and I am genuinely clueless. I simply don't remember what I did, any more than I could recall at what point in the conversation I might have smiled, or frowned, or engaged in any other forms of facial expression or body language.

When I ask him to explain, he'll tell me that I touched (the waiter, or my finance's friend, or the husband of the couple we were with at diner....whatever) and ask "what's going on?" I don't have an answer. There is NOTHING "going on." I've told him to just WATCH me, when I talk to others, male and female. It's just what I do. I don't discriminate between genders, or exclude some people from the tactile way I communicate while including others...well, unless I actively dislike the person, but if that's the case I hardly communicate with them anyway.

We've had the same discussion half a dozen times now. He confronts me, I am clueless, he tells me what I did, I don't remember doing it, I remind him that this is simply the way I communicate, and if he watches me talking to others he will recognize that this is just what I do when I talk. There is zero significance to my actions. It's happened enough times now, and I've explained myself enough times now, that I feel like he just doesn't believe me or actually accept my explanation even though in the moments of our discussions he says he does. But then it comes up again, and again, and every time it does it negates all the previous discussion, and makes me feel like he must think I'm lying or something.

My long time marriage was to an abusive, controlling and domineering man. After I finally escaped that relationship, I worked hard with counseling, support and self-education to overcome my mental and emotional damage as a result of that very controlling relationship. I won't willingly subject myself to abusive control again. I recognize that this reaction from my fiancé is triggering because it feels very much like he's trying to get me to change a basic part of me (the way I communicate) in order to make himself feel more comfortable.

I feel that he's overreacting as a result of insecurities. I feel victimized. At the same time, I don't want to cause him upset or worry, but I also have a fierce need to never again be in the situation of watching everything I say, everything I do, to walk on eggshells in order to not upset my significant other (or anyone else for that matter.) I don't want feel like I'm being controlled again, I don't want to feel like *I* have to change a basic part of myself, to make someone else feel better. I'm struggling.

Any advice?

Ponderer

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2018 07:57 pm
@Nikita601,
*remembers Lola*
I met a young woman at a party and she put her hand on my stomach while she was talking to me. I didn't take it as her "coming on" to me in any way. I knew it was just Lola being Lola. It's too bad that your fiancé doesn't have an attitude of "Yeah, she's that sweet. And she's Mine."
As far as advice, just constantly reassure him with your touch that you Are his.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:02 am
@Nikita601,
This won't get better even if you get married. His insecurity will grow and you will try to reassure him .....and he will get more and more demanding........I suggest you get refreshers with your counselor .... Good luck with that, and please take care of yourself.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:06 am
@Nikita601,
One more thought, you feeling victimized trumps his insecurity. My first husband made my life miserable, it took a truly violent encounter for me to realize I couldn't live with him another minute.
0 Replies

Nikita601

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 06:45 am
Thank you all very much for your responses. Part of me wondered if I was over-reacting to this, but I am self-aware enough to think that if it's troubling enough to me to want objective opinions then it's probably important that I need to resolve the issue.

I've thought about counseling. I wonder if he'd go? It's a subject we've never discussed before, though were both attended counseling (me way more than him) after previous divorces.

Part of my confusion about this issue is that he's never manifested jealousy about anything else, in any other area. I'm a ballroom dancer, and though he will sometimes come with me to the studio I attend for their social dances, (I go other places too) he doesn't dance much himself. With this kind of dancing, you get sort of up close and personal with the men who ask you to dance because of the dance hold that accompanies ballroom dancing. He's never shown the slightest upset over this nor has he been anything but encouraging and supportive about me going to dance without him. And that's a good thing because it would be a deal breaker for me! Dance has been part of my own therapy for years now.

@Glitterbag, thank you for your comment about me feeling victimized. That was my thought too, but again wondered if I was just being hypersensitive.

@Ponderer, yes!! Agreed, and something I've even said to him...as in "hey, I'm yours, we're engaged, I'm not going anywhere" etc. which has been part of my the dialogue that has seemed to solve it in the moment, and yet his behavior repeats.

In writing the op, and reading and responding to your replies, I have more clarity about the specific things that trouble me about this.

1. He doesn't say "hey, that bothers me." Making the issue about his discomfort. He says "what are you doing/what's going on/what's that about?" targeting me and my behavior, which feels accusatory and condemnatory.

2. Those questions of his have been asked and answered several times before, so when he repeats them it implies that I was lying before, or that he didn't believe me before, that I'm somehow being dishonest or that I'm trying to hide something.

3. So, even if I am over-reacting somewhat (and that isn't outside the realm of possibility given my history of abuse, control and domination by my ex) it still doesn't negate or mitigate points 1 and 2 above. Does it?

I guess that's the crux of my confusion about this. Sometimes I have to sift through what's just a trigger and not particularly rational, vs what is an actual issue even if it's also a trigger.

Even absent the abuse, this is an issue, right? Like, you'd be annoyed by this repeated behavior from your significant other too?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this jealousy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:45:07