Best Ted Nugent song

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:06 pm
I just heard Cat Scratch Fever on the classic rock station...now that's a great old song. My favorite though is always going to be "Free For All." The beginning of that song always gets me.

Back before I knew who he was, I remember looking through the albums at the record store, and I remember finding that "Intensities in ten cities" record and thinking, who is this madman? He looks so cool!

What's your fave from the Motor City Madman?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,587 • Replies: 21
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:47 pm
Are you serious? Not even cjhsa has an opinion on this? My god, I thought I'd have people on this site yelling and screaming at each other about this in such a way as to make that Schiavo thread look like a lovefest!!!

The world as I know it is crumbling around me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:06 pm
You should love his website:

http://www.tnugent.com/

I myself prefer Cat Scratch Fever and still have a copy of his album.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
Thanks, Linkat. I wish his site would have more about music and less about his hunting escapades though. I don't give a damn about how to gut a dear. I just liked some of his music.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:47 am
OK...my 2 cents.
Like a 1 trick pony, Nugent's been circling the same 3 chords for decades. But I'll give him his due. His work with the Amboy Dukes was groundbreaking, especially their version of Baby Please Don't Go.

His ability to cover up his druggie past is remarkable:

"The Amboy Dukes' only hit single(Journey To The Center Of The Mind #16, 1968). The eponymous LP has 30-odd different smoking implements on the cover, and the entire second side (which this both leads off and concludes) is a suite about finding The Meaning Of Life through O.D.ing. Nonetheless, Ted Nugent swears to this day that he
didn't know it's about drugs..."

That said...we're forced to play Cat Scratch Fever at least once every weekend.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
I liked their version of Hey Baby
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
OK...I'm off to search for it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I remember being in Detroit during the 1960s when Ted Nugent was a laughing stock.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
He was? Wow, you guys are going way back. I don't know much about the Amboy Dukes--I think I might have heard some of their stuff once or twice long ago. Wasn't there somebody else who also became semi-famous in that band?

Panzade, interesting take on the drug stuff. I never heard anyone doubt his truthfulness on that. Everyone just accepts it as gospel that he's always been a clean-living man. I guess it's because he has been so vocal in his opposition to the drug scene.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:16 pm
Bob Seeger used to play at college mixers in the 60s. At that time, the admission to most mixers was 50 cents. When Seeger played, it was $1.50. Some considered it too much. But, you could go to places like the Grande Ballroom and the admission was generally $2-3 unless it was a big act, like the Jefferson Airplane or Blue Cheer, when the admission was $5.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:24 pm
Agreed re "Journey to the Center..." Great tune. His solo stuff, as has been noted above, seems a bit redundant.

Sad that cjhsa isn't here. This topic was made for him!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
Personally, I like his new stuff as well as the old, but no one knows about Craveman except us diehards. Nuge won't "pay to play" for airtime. I believe that he's remained, for the most part, drug free. Much of what showed up on the Amboy Dukes album covers wound up getting people fired, by Ted. He doesn't like stoned drunks at all.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can order a copy of Craveman off of his website (posted above). It's worth every penny.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
cj's got a nose for Nuge.Hey Baby turned out to be a song I played in a blues band about 14 years ago. I like it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
Sorry, I missed this thread earlier. My connection to Ted is through Bob Munger, who was Fred Bear's hunting buddy, and a friend of my father. Fred, in turn, was Ted's bow hunting mentor.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:33 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Bob Seeger used to play at college mixers in the 60s. At that time, the admission to most mixers was 50 cents. When Seeger played, it was $1.50. Some considered it too much. But, you could go to places like the Grande Ballroom and the admission was generally $2-3 unless it was a big act, like the Jefferson Airplane or Blue Cheer, when the admission was $5.

That kind of stuff gives me a warm feeling...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:38 pm
Nuge shreds "Baby please don't go". He has a new live CD coming out, from this year's tour, called "Live at Billybobs". It supposedly will blow your nads off. I'm waiting for my copy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:45 pm
Been listening to Stranglehold as it was voted one of the best 100 guitar breaks.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:32 pm
panzade -- What gives you a warm feeling, the bands or the prices?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
Go here:

http://launch.yahoo.com/

Search on "ted nugent crave", then click on the Video link that comes up (Crave). Maybe not his best work, but proves he can still rip you a new one.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:25 pm
plainoldme wrote:
panzade -- What gives you a warm feeling, the bands or the prices?

The bands...lol
0 Replies