How to invest my nest egg?

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:13 pm
My parents set aside a chunk of money for each of their 4 kids. At first it was to be money for weddings, then my gay bro used his money as a down payment on a condo. So, my parents and I have decided that I should use my money to start some sort of retirement investment for myself. I'm 36 and have little (very little) money in SS and no money from 401ks or what not as I have largely avoided the mainstream working world. I hope to change this over the next few years, but I need to make up for my past before I start to lose sleep over my lack of retirement funds.

I thought to put the money into IRAs, my dad suggested CDs at first and then annuities later. He sent me home with two booklets on different annuities (I can't even find the booklets right now Embarrassed ). It'll be somewhere around $15,000 - 20,000 I'll have to invest. Any guidance from those who know more about finances than I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,031 • Replies: 28
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:16 pm
Bet it all on the Steelers to win the superbowl this year. It's a lock. You'll be on easy street.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:18 pm
Thanks Kicky. Anyone else?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
No advice, but something simple to remember, told to me by my own dad, when we discussed investment.

The rule of 72.

Take an interest rate, any interest rate, and divide it into 72.

The answer (in years) is how long it will take to double your money.

ie.: 10 into 72 = 7.2 years.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:40 pm
I would say with interest vs. mortgage rates today you are best off to buy yourself a little house. The ideal would be a house where you could rent a room or make a separate little apartment that would cover the mortgage for you. Prices in real estate mostly go up, sometimes they plataeu, but they rarely plummet long term. The best investment I ever make was my house when I was 30. I paid off the mortgage in 10 years and now, other than what I have to pay Uncle Sam each year, it's all mine.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:43 pm
I would open an IRA and buy some good conservative
mutual funds your bank can recommend. Try to contribute
yearly to it (max. $ 2000/year) and build up your
retirement fund.

Your bank or any financial institution can give you good
advice on an IRA and how to invest your funds with low
volatility, i.e. Vanguard would be a good choice.

I personally have my retirement fund with TD Waterhouse
as they allow me online trading without interference of
brokers and minimal charges.

This is a site to get some good information http://www.morningstar.com/
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:46 pm
Buying a house is a good investment, of course real estate here is retarded-expensive, but you're not throwing money away on rent. You could always live in the house or condo for a couple of years, then buy a second place and use one soley for rental income. I gotta get on the ball on this myself....eventually.

Since you're not money into a 401K, you could look into opening an IRA, putting the money in mutual funds. You decide how aggressive you want the funds.

Third option: put it all on black.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:00 pm
Thanks all.....

JoeBlow - do you think the 72 rule works the same no matter the interest rate and inflation rate? Interesting rule.

Greenwitch and Slappy (good to see you Slappy!) - I don't think it's reasonable for me to buy a house now. And, likely it won't be reasonable for another 5-10 years. Only one of the reasons is that, as Slappy said, it's retarded-expensive here.

Calamity, I liked the idea of an IRA because it was locked there, but with a Roth IRA I could take it out for medical/educational/house down payment events in life.

So, I was thinking about taking $2k of it and putting it in a Roth IRA, taking $2k of it and paying off my current debt (almost), and putting the rest into annuities (which no one here has mentioned....).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:02 pm
When I did a ton of research on this subject maybe 5 years ago, I was completely sold on a Roth IRA.

Suze Orman has a book, she's become kind of ubiquitous and annoying since I got it but it had good info.

Plus Motley Fool! Motley Fool is very good with investment info.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:05 pm
Aaaaaaaahhhh <sigh>, I have a hard time listening to Motley Fool. That man's voice makes my skin crawl. I made myself listen through the last time I ran into it. I want that special reporter to have her own show. I like her. She's sassy. I like the Roth IRA too, Soz. But, for some reason my dad don't. So, I can only put $2k in per year anyway..... I'll do that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
I just have their book. Their book has useful info. <looks innocent>

Does your dad say why he doesn't like it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:09 pm
oooohhh,the motley fool has a book? that is good to know, why didn't I think to look for that?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
Oh, and, my dad didn't say why exactly. He either doesn't know this stuff well, or he doesn't know how to explain it well. The idea about annuities came from a friend of his who is an investment broker.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
littlek, you also can take money from an IRA for medical emergencies without a penalty. The difference between an
IRA and a Roth IRA is, that with a Roth you pay the taxes
up front and can enjoy the retirement fund in later years
tax free. IRA's are tax deferred and upon drawing your
funds you'd have to pay taxes.

Annuities have advantages, like you don't have to worry
about your income, it is guaranteed. The insurance company
will pay you every month your retirement amount. Everything
is taken care of for you.

The disadvantage is, your income is fixed with an annuity
and it will decline with inflation. So, you either have an
additional source of income, or you'll have to reduce your
spending.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:18 pm
oh oh oh, CJ, knows what she's talking about!

So, if I paid taxes up front, would I pay less tax (on the original amount) than I would if I paid when I closed (my much larger) IRA account for retirement?

And, annuities are held with insurance companies? Can you get into more detail about them? Why is my income fixed? Wouldn't I be gaining interest on my money?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
Some basic investment advice that can be found at lot of sources

Annuities are a bad investment. (Unless you have a lot of other money invested and need the tax savings.) You should also buy term life insurance instead of whole life if you need insurance.

If you are working for yourself, then you can do a SEP IRA and invest (I think) up to 75% of your earnings. (there is a max but I think it is over 12K, not sure.) This would be the best way to get money into an IRA quickly. Any company that helps you set up the IRA can answer those questions for you.

At the age of 36, retirement is a long way off. You want to invest in more aggessive investments. NOT CDs.. Bond funds to be on the safer side. Stock funds to be on the more aggresive side. The standard advice is invest the % of your age in bonds and the rest in stocks. You would be in a 40/60 bond to stock ratio.

This year the regular and Roth IRA max went up to $3K.

You can do real estate in an IRA but it is complicated to do so and requires a management company willing to do it with higher fees.

Find someone you like and trust to help you out. Ask lots of questions. Don't stop asking questions until you are sure you understand. If the advisor isn't willing to answer all your questions then they are not the person you want.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:25 pm
Quote:
Why the Roth Rules

Studies show that people don't save for retirement because they're confounded by all the types of accounts. There's the retirement plan at work, annuities, traditional individual retirement arrangements (IRAs), Roth IRAs, and plain old savings and brokerage accounts. So we'll make it easier for you: Contribute to a Roth. The tax-free growth and withdrawal flexibility can't be beat.

By Robert Brokamp (TMF Bro)
March 10, 2005

If you're confused about which type of retirement account to choose, here's the quick and easy (and probably smartest) strategy: Put your money in a Roth IRA. Compared with an employer-sponsored retirement account -- such as a 401(k) or 403(b) -- or a traditional IRA, the Roth is by far more flexible and likely will lead to more money in retirement.

The only exception: If your employer matches contributions to your work-sponsored plan, then it's probably best to take advantage of that free money. But contribute only up to the point that contributions are matched; after that, send your retirement money to a Roth.

The exception to the exception: In most situations, an employee has to stay with a company for a number of years before those matching contributions will "vest" -- that is, really become the property of the employee. If you don't plan to stay with your employer long enough for the matches to vest, then go straight to the Roth.

What makes a Roth so superior? Let's start with the fundamentals.

Roth basics
The maximum that can be deposited in a Roth in 2005 is $4,000 ($4,500 for workers age 50 and older). Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible. Once your adjusted gross income reaches $95,000 if you're single or $150,000 if you're married, the amount you can contribute to a Roth begins to decrease, reaching zero for those with an AGI of $110,000 (singles) or $160,000 (married). So, if you're not eligible for a Roth, stick with your 401(k) and/or traditional IRA.

The major difference between a Roth and the other retirement accounts is when you get the tax break. Contributions to a deductible traditional IRA and to a 401(k) reduce your taxable income in the year the contribution is made, and that cuts your income tax bill.

These accounts are considered "tax-deferred" because you won't pay taxes on interest, dividends, or capital gains in the account during your working career. But when the money is withdrawn in retirement, it counts as ordinary income and will be taxed at the same rate as income earned from a job (i.e., not at the lower long-term capital gains rate).

With a Roth, contributions do not reduce taxable income, so there's no deduction. However, the Roth is a tax-free account; no taxes are paid on the interest, dividends, or gains -- ever.

Pay taxes now or later?
So, the question is, do you want to cut your tax bill now or in retirement?
All kinds of calculators can theoretically indicate which account will provide more in retirement. (We have several Roth IRA calculators at Fool.com.) The conventional wisdom is that if your tax bracket now is higher than your bracket will be in retirement, a deductible account might be the better bet.

However, the problem with calculators and similar analyses of the Roth vs. traditional IRA/401(k) dilemma is they assume that any tax savings realized from contributing to a deductible account will be invested elsewhere and left alone for retirement. However, this just isn't a realistic assumption. People don't say to themselves, "Well, my tax bill is $800 less because I contributed to my 401(k), so I'll buy 32 shares of Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) and not touch it until I'm 65."

No, that tax savings usually goes somewhere else -- and usually not to any type of savings account. Boiled down to the essentials, you're contributing to a retirement account to make your golden years more affordable, not to give yourself a tax break today (as great as that can be). And the retirement account that will require you to pay less to Uncle Sam after you've stopped working -- thus leaving more in your bank account -- is a Roth IRA.

Put another way, do you want the heavier tax burden now, while you're still earning a paycheck and can cover the liability, or when you've stopped working and can't make up for anything Uncle Sam takes away? To me, the best strategy is to choose the account that will improve your finances in retirement.

Finally, the more taxable income you receive in retirement, the more likely your Social Security benefits will also be taxed. Income from a Roth IRA, however, does not affect the calculation of whether you'll pay taxes on a portion of your retirement benefit check.

No required distributions
As mentioned earlier, employer-sponsored retirement accounts and traditional IRAs are tax-deferred -- you'll have to pay taxes on the money at some point. And Uncle Sam doesn't want to wait forever, so he came up with something called minimum required distributions (MRDs). According to the rules, you must begin taking money out of your 401(k) or traditional IRA by April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70 1/2 -- whether you need the money or not. (If you're still working, you can delay MRDs in your 401(k) until after you retire.)

However, since Uncle Sam doesn't have a vested interest in the tax-free money in Roth IRAs, they aren't subject to MRD rules. So, if you can live on your Social Security, pension, other savings, and perhaps part-time work, then the money in your Roth can keep growing tax-free, creating a bigger bundle for when you do need it.

A Roth IRA is also good for the beneficiaries of your estate. Just as you would receive the proceeds of a Roth tax-free, so would your heirs. However, beneficiaries have to pay income taxes on the money inherited from 401(k)s and traditional IRAs. (Both forms are still subject to estate taxes, if applicable.)

Getting your hands on the money
We just talked about how the Roth is better if you don't need the money by the time you're 70 1/2. But what if you want the money before you're 59 1/2? Again, the Roth is the winner.

Withdrawals from an employer-sponsored retirement plan or a traditional IRA before the age of 59 1/2 can lead to taxes and penalties, except under special circumstances. This is not necessarily true for a Roth.

Contributions to a Roth -- that is, the money you send to the custodian of the account -- can be withdrawn at any time, penalty- and tax-free. For example, let's say you contribute $4,000 to a Roth this year, and in three years, it grows to $5,000. You can withdraw your four-grand contribution at any time, no questions asked. However, if you try to take out that $1,000 in growth before you're 59 1/2 and the account has not been open for five years, then you may be subject to taxes and penalties (again, except in special cases).

So, if you plan to retire early, the Roth is a great place for your money because you can start withdrawing the money before age 59 1/2 without a hassle. Some experts suggest that this also makes the Roth a good account for college savings, emergency savings, and other goals. Believe it or not, those arguments have merit, but it's a complicated discussion -- a topic for a future article. Until then, consider opening a Roth (you still have until April 15 to open an account for 2004), [kinda promotional part taken out]

Robert Brokamp practices what he preaches: He contributes to his 401(k) enough to get the full match, then contributes to a Roth, and then feeds his children if anything's left over. The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2005/commentary05031002.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
parados - i want something very very safe. I had $2,000 to either put into an IRA or into the stock market. I chose the later, a month later the market tanked and now I have about $400 of it left. I can't do that again. Or anything even remotely that risky. i don't have anything. I have a crap job and need an new education before I can get anything much better, I need something very safe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
Thanks Soz, I looked up a site about annuities...

http://www.banknorth.com/investment/faqs/faq_annuities.html
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
littlek wrote:
oh oh oh, CJ, knows what she's talking about!

So, if I paid taxes up front, would I pay less tax (on the original amount) than I would if I paid when I closed (my much larger) IRA account for retirement?

And, annuities are held with insurance companies? Can you get into more detail about them? Why is my income fixed? Wouldn't I be gaining interest on my money?

If you pay the taxes up front, as you do with a Roth IRA then you can
draw the money in your retirement tax free.

Annuities are - like parados said - bad investments, and are mostly held
with insurance companies. It guarantees you an income for the rest of your life but it is a fixed amout (depending on your investment). That's how
annuities are set up.
0 Replies