Is this a silly reason to want to go to college in a different state?

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 01:47 am
I just started my senior year of high school, but I actually should be starting my freshman year of college. My birthday's October 1st, 2000, and the state where I live has a winter cutoff of December 31st, which means that I was supposed to start Kindergarten in the fall of 2005. However, because my parents thought I was immature and didn't have a lot of confidence in me, they waited until the fall of 2006 to send me. All through school, I've felt embarrassed about being a year behind, and out-of-place for being more than a year older than some of my classmates. The thing is, though, that most states have a September cutoff, which means that in most states, I wouldn't have been allowed to start Kindergarten until the fall of 2006. Thus, by the standards of most states, I'm in the right grade. If I went to college in a state with a September cutoff, I'd be exactly in the year I'm supposed to be, and no one would think it weird that I was turning 19 in October of my freshman year, since that's the norm for October-born people in that state. I'd still be one of the very oldest, but I'd still fall within the normal age range for my year. I know this seems crazy, but lately, nothing has been more important to me than being normal and fitting in.

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 02:10 am
@wirebowl,
Perhaps you might feel more comfortable at university elsewhere, but my own experience (I entered university at age 17) is it just doesn't matter by then. People don't think in terms of grades; if it ever comes up, people will ask you how many hours you have (semester hours or quarter hours). Some people make attending university their first career track in life, and spend years there. I'd say don't worry about it. Choose the school you wish to attend based on your plans for the future.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 06:22 am
@wirebowl,
Lots of people start college a year late. They might work and save up $$ or travel or whatever. You wouldn't be the only 19-year-old freshman in nearly any college unless it was an exceptionally small one. In fact, you'll probably see people older than you in your freshman class, particularly if you take night classes.

They are not all looking at you. They do not care. They are there to learn and probably to socialize as well. No one will be checking your ID for your age.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 11:17 am
@wirebowl,
Your in-state colleges will be full of people from other states. Some schools are better than others for this, but all colleges are melting pots. Pick your college based on your interests, how well that college lines up with those interests and how much you can afford.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 12:21 pm
@wirebowl,
What engineer said. I have a daughter in college now. She goes to a college out of state because she felt that college fit her best academically, size wise and just felt right for her. Not to mention it ended up costing her less in the end because of how much scholarship money she got.

In any case just among her friends in the same grade some are a year older than average and some a year younger than average - nobody seems to care.

I was in a similar boat as you - when I was a kid the date was Jan 1st. I was born on Jan 1 - my mom kept me home another year - not that I was immature just simply she felt it was better to be a little older than a little younger than most. I never felt out of place. In many ways I liked it - I got to drive before everyone else for example.

On the positive - you won't be the one left behind when those your in grade reach 21 and want to go out somewhere that requires you to be 21 to go in there.

Long and short - yes it is a silly reason for the simple fact that no one is going to care and you will fit in for your age whether you attend a college in state or outside of state.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2018 04:30 pm
@wirebowl,
There are people of ALL ages that enter college. Whether in their teens , 20s through their 70s. In college you will find diversity that you never dreamed of while you were in high school. A few months difference matters to no one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2018 04:35 pm
@wirebowl,
wirebowl wrote:
I know this seems crazy, but lately, nothing has been more important to me than being normal and fitting in.

your age is not what makes you fit in
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this a silly reason to want to go to college in a different state?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:51:04