What is a steamship hold and how do I clear it?

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:26 pm
Hi, I am currently importing leather jackets from china and my current shipment is at the local freight location but they can't release it because it's under a steamship hold. I have imported from this vendor in china several times before but have never had this problem. The goods were paid for via a letter of credit, the bill of lading has been surrendered and the freight paid for. They are telling me the problem is on the china end but with everything paid I can't imagine what the hold is for? Can anyone shed some light on what it might be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,013 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
A steamship "hold" is the area where they have storage room(s) - I think.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:36 pm
Usually a letter of credit is only executed when the
goods are in the hands of the dealer, that is if you have
included this stipulation into your letter of credit.

Custom agens randomly hold goods in cargo until
all necessary documentations are presented from the
shipper.
0 Replies

Digaplay

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:41 pm
Steamship Hold
Hello

The hold is placed usually when the Steamship has not received either payment of collect charges, or the OBL (orginal Bill of Lading).

Assuming that the charges were paid and the properly endorsed OBL was surrendered, the problem lies with your forwarder. Your forwarder may not have sent the release to the freight location, or could have coloaded with another forwarder that did not send a release to the freight location. Ask the freight location who has placed the hold.

In my career, I have only seen one time where a hold was caused by an overseas supplier after the OBL was surrendered. In this case the overseas supplier never paid the export fees to their overseas agent. However this is very uncommon, because this is usually tooking care of before it ever ships.

I have seen many times a freight location will say they have no steamship release, when they really mean a diffrent kind of release. I would confirm again that it is really a steamship release.

Exam holds and Customs holds are not called Steamship holds. If it was an exam you would have an Intensive, CET, USDA, Vacis, or other hold. Storage holds are called storage or demmurage holds.
Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 02:47 pm
Digaplay--

Welcome to A2K. You have useful information.
0 Replies

Better Way Imports

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:20 am
It is a random sample that is pulled aside by US Customs Service to xray the container your goods were shipped in, part of increased security, Customs will take their sweet time and charge you a samll fee Surprised( ... it has happened to me several times, I have found nothing i can do but wait (a week or two)
0 Replies

takeone

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:53 am
@Digaplay,
Who is responsible for sending Master Original B/L to the steamship line?
0 Replies