Everyday things that make you nervous

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 07:45 pm
There are some things that to me should be so simple, but somehow get more complicated than they have to be, and end up getting me mildly nervous.

Case in point...

I was driving home just now, so called the man to see if he wanted anything. He said "Yeah. I've got a yen for some ice cream. But I just want a regular vanilla cone."

So I pull into a Sonic and look over the curb side menu. I don't see any cones except some dinky little .99 cent one, which I know he won't want.
I hit the button, and ask the guy if they have plain old vanilla waffle cones. I got the outside speaker that was almost a parody of itself. All the snaps and static, with the kid on the other end mumbling and speaking 100 mph. I see he had rung up on the screen some oreo thing with a choc cone and some kind of sauce on top of choc ice cream that cost $5.95.

He asks me if I want anything else and I told him I didn't want that, just a plain vanilla waffle cone. We had to back and forth a few times until I told him to speak clearly, and he still wanted me to get the choc cone, as they are "really good".

Do...you....have....plain....vanilla...ice....cream....in....a....waffle.....cone?

"Uh, no."

Me: Ok, then, never mind. Thanks.

As I'm pulling out, he's saying over the crackling speaker, "so do you want the choc cone?"

The thing is, I had already imagined this was going to be a problem when I was a few blocks away from the place. It's like you just can't get something so simple.

This is also food related, but whenever someone would say "let's get pizza" I always say that they, or everyone else should decide, and I try to get out of the room.

I grew up in an era, and at a place where a pizza was just that. A pizza. I can't wrap my mind around all the varieties that now exist.

So I came home, said they didn't have a vanilla cone, and he said "F*ck them".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 949 • Replies: 19
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 07:54 pm
@chai2,
I don't know how far you live from a given Sonic but it seems weird even if they had a plain vanilla ice cream cone to buy it and transport it via car (expecting it to melt even with the AC on full blast) to you beau.

It would have seemed less complicated to buy some ice cream at the store along with the cones... or worse case … go to a Dairy Queen or some similar ice cream related franchise.

Kind of like going to a KFC and ordering a hamburger.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 09:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Heh.

Here, Sonic is a big place to get ice cream treats....shakes, slushes, floats, sundaes, other things. They also sell burgers and such. Personally, I think their food is gross, and since I'm keto I don't eat that stuff anymore anyway.

https://www.sonicdrivein.com/menu/171-frozen-zone-tm<br />
The nearest Sonic to me is about 3/4's of a mile away from my house, and I had to pass it to get home. They're no Dairy Queens close by, but they suck also. Haven't been in one for years, and don't even know where the nearest one is..... Just looked it up. Oh hell no. 5 miles away, and in the traffic at that time it would have taken 20 minutes one way.

The weather here is cooling off anyway. It wouldn't have melted in the car even in the middle of summer.

The reason I didn't go into Amy's Ice Cream, (which was across the road sort of) or any other place, is I had been running around on errands that didn't require me getting out of the car. I wasn't dressed to be seen by anyone. No bra, basically wearing pajamas, bare feet.

I know what my husband means when he says he wants an ice cream. He means soft service, so that requires an ice cream stand. Sonic was it.

It's so strange. I am a really strong person when it comes to important things. The one who doesn't fall apart, get's over the inital shock of something bad happening, then sees and implements the best course of action, etc. I think I would have been a good paramedic or something.

But some really insignificant things can really get under my skin. Not in an irritating, getting mad type of way. Just making me anxious.

Hmmm....it's kinda like I begrudge the decision making process thrust upon me for something that I consider a no brainer.

There have been times when someone was making such a big deal discussing freaking pizza toppings that I didn't even want it any more.

IT'S PIZZA FOR CHRISTS SAKE! JUST ORDER A DAMN PIZZA! It's dough, tomato sauce and cheese for crying out loud.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 09:26 pm
@chai2,
Another thing that makes me nervous....and fortunately I don't have to use them.....buses.

Well, not so much any more, but in the past.

Nowadays, if I had to take a bus somewhere, I could just do a trip planner on their website, and would know exactly what to do.

In the past though, when there was just those bus schedules on a post in front of a stop....no way.

While walking, I would stop sometimes and look at them, trying to make heads or tails of them. Greek to me. The whole idea of having to wait somewhere, get on the right bus, know when to get off so I don't miss my destination, transfers, having the correct fare, and so forth, gives me the shakes.

Yet, I fearlessly drove, at first without even a GPS (I've since then bought one), into Central Mexico, getting lost a couple of times along the way, alone, with no problem. When I got to my destination, I realized I didn't have the final directions to the house I was going to. So, I stopped the car in their downtown, found a cab where the driver spoke no English, wrote down the address, and off we went. We figured out where the car was the next day. Before leaving, I bought a house, which hadn't been on my original "things that must get done" list.

But a bus? Yikes. I can't even imagine trying to figure out a subway.

So what everyday things can turn you for a loop?

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 09:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

All the snaps and static, with the kid on the other end mumbling and speaking 100 mph. I see he had rung up on the screen some oreo thing with a choc cone and some kind of sauce on top of choc ice cream that cost $5.95.

Oh, that. I even have the problem with many people on the telephone. You have to lose a lot of your hearing before you realize how many people mumble. I'm at the point of driving instead of calling for appointments instead of using the phone.

One time, I had my insurance lady call the company's banking section to close out an IRA. Her contact said we couldn't do it with her on the extension, so we put her on SPEAKER PHONE! Still, we were both laughing when she did her 'mile a minute' spiel'.

You could say telephones make me nervous, or at least wary.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:50 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I grew up in an era, and at a place where a pizza was just that. A pizza.

I grew up in an era where pizza was something Scooby Doo ate and that was it. I was well into my teens before it became an available product.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:14 am
Quote:
It's like you just can't get something so simple.

I don't know that this makes me nervous, but it certainly is a pet peeve.

Where I live, bicycle riders have an incredibly overdeveloped sense of entitlement. Some joker was riding down the sidewalk today, and I muttered "f*cking idiot." He turns around in a flash and comes back for a fist fight. Calls me all kinds of names, and then says that I'm "running away." A bicycle rider grabbed the door post of a car a few years back, and got killed when the driver freaked and tried to speed away. Turns out he was drunk. Bicycle riders in this city make me nervous. You never know when you'll encounter a lunatic.
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:54 am
@Setanta,
Oh yeah. I'm not nervous around bike riders, but I know what you mean. A lot of dedicated bike lanes here. I respect them, and am very aware (as it seems some drivers aren't, that I'm driving something that weighs more than a ton, and they are just a fragile human. But Jesus bud, you have a responsibility too.

Bikes are supposed to obey all the rules of the road. But I consistently see them blow through stop signs without a glance left or right. On a street perpendicular to mine, that runs for a little more than a mile, a very wide protected bike lane was put in a few years ago on the West side of the street. It's just about as wide as a car lane. My street is about 1/2 a mile down that road. Plenty of room for 2 way traffic of bikes. However, sometimes an adult (it's never a kid, they know better) insist on not using it, and instead use the car lane, where they have to drive right down the middle since it's more narrow.

Some older guy wearing his Lance Armstrong wanna be outfit was puttering along that car lane a few months ago, near at the start of the bike lane, but with ample time to have gone over to it. As I was passing him, I had put down my passenger window, slowed down and said "Excuse me. There's a bike lane there, (pointing) it's for your safety." I was really being polite. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that somehow he didn't see it.

Well he went into a rant, yelling that he was using the car lane because he was going to make a right hand turn, and if he used the bike lane "no one would let him cross over" when he had to turn. Bull. Then he shot ahead to get in front of me, and forced me to drive behind him (cars coming the other way) for the half mile to my street. Oh, passing 2 other right hand turns along the way. At my street there is a 4 way stop, and is where I make a right turn. He turned onto my street, then I turned. My house is 6 houses down, so he remained in front of me. As I was pulling into my driveway, He stopped and accussed me of "stalking him"

Once on the same street, a group of Sunday bikers, at least a dozen of them, created their own parade in the car lane, right next to the equally wide bike lane. When someone yelled to them to get into the bike lane, one of them yelled back "We don't want to!"

Yeah, I'm going to use that line next time I want to drive through a school yard or in front of an ambulance. When questioned by the police, I'll say "I didn't want to"

Another weird thing that makes me uneasy....registering my car every year. I know, I can't figure that one out. For some reason I feel like I'm not going to send in all the stuff I have to. I think I would need to be hypnotized to figure that one out. Don't go into a panic, just uneasy.

Maybe in a previous life I drove an unregistered duesenberg.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:29 am
Bicycle riders in this town are real bullies. I was crossing to a park in our neighborhood one day, and a bike rider came screeching to a halt. Then he pulled out, against a red light. I shouted out at him: "Hey, you're running a red light." He responded: "So what, I let you cross, didn't I?" "No, Gomer, I crossed with the walk light." Another time I was crossing with a walk light, and we were almost hit by two bike riders cruising along, through the red light, talking to each other. When I yelled at them, they looked surprised, and then laughed. One of their favorite tricks is to jump up on the sidewalk until they get to a walk light, and then they cruise back into the bike lane. If you contact the CBC, by phone or e-mail (I've done both), they don't play your message or read your e-mail--they're dedicated to bikes and bike riders. It's really crazy, and it won't change until there are more tragedies like the guy who got killed a couple of yeras ago. Protests were organized against the driver and his wife, until it came out that the bike rider had been drunk, and security video in the area showed him chasing the car to a red light, and then grabbing the door post as the driver pulled away. Imagine who that poor couple feels.

Those clowns make me nervous. Drivers around here go out of their way to assure that pedestrians cross the street safely. Bike riders will run you down, and curse you as they do so.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:41 am
@Setanta,
Our neighbourhood facebook group has such a hate on for bicyclists and bike lanes that a separate group had to be set up just to talk about the bike lane.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 07:55 pm
Sneaking into the snack cupboard without waking up the darn dog.

I swear he can sleep through a tornado but open one particular cabinet door and he's right at my side, begging. Spoiled rotten with kibbles, treats, ice cubes, biscuits, you still can't open that cabinet without him knowing. Those sad, brown, forlorn eyes that make you feel horrible, like you haven't fed the poor thing in like.....forever! Even though he got Biljac AND Alpo not less than an hour ago.

What's a human to do?

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:05 pm
@neptuneblue,
Oh yeah, that's a good one neptune.

It's like you go in on tip toe, and one false move and all is lost.

I drive a Prius, but my cats still know when I pull in the driveway. My husband has been looking out the window when my car glides in on EV mode, and he says the boys both look up at the same time, and meander to the door.

roger

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:27 pm
@chai2,
My cat does not know when I arrive or depart. He just knows he wants the door opened so he can go out - or in. Sometimes, he just wants to sit and look through the open door - whichever side of it he happens to be on. We have had words about this.
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:05 pm
@roger,
Well damn roger.
Obviously the view through the door is unacceptable if one must look through a screen, or glass....or wood.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:19 pm
@chai2,
Today, I propped the screen door open, and boy, was he confused.
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:29 pm
@roger,
I'm going to call the ASPCA on you.

All this is making me nervous.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:23 am
Ok, here's another one. I guess they occur to me as the situation arises.

Have cash in the proper denominations on hand for tips.

I Very rarely use cash, preferring to charge everything and making one payment a month, and collecting points.

So, I will literally walk around for months and not pull out any paper.

I'm going to the car wash later, and I believe I only have a $20 bill tucked away in my bag. I'm going to have to ask the cashier for change so I can tip the guy who wipes down the car.
For some reason I always feel like I'm putting the cashier out, even though I know I'm not.

I've worked as a cashier a few times in my life, and giving change was never an issue, expect for the dreaded five dollar bill.

5 dollar bills in the cashiering game are as rare as hens teeth. If things were really busy, if I saw someone had remaining in his hand after paying, I would ask if they wanted to cash it in for a 10, or a 20 (even better, because the drawer is always crammed with 20's.)

Funny, sometimes a person would ask if they could change a hundred for 20's, and would apologize. I'd laugh and say, "No problem! I wish I could get rid of more so I don't have to count them at the end of my shift."

Mabye that's it. When I ask the cashier for change, a 10, 5, and 5 singles, I know I'm asking for one of those precious 5's. Which btw, I will then guard with my life until I absolutely have to use it.
chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 12:39 pm
@chai2,
Wait. It's supposed to rain every day next week. Crisis adverted.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 12:41 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Everyday things that make you nervous

Should rocking chairs make me nervous? You know... preemptively nervous in case I might be reincarnated as a cat with an extra long tail? That ole chestnut of an obvious truth....
chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 12:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sure!

Especially if the rocking chair is too close to the wall, and you make marks on the wall with your rocking....or a guests rocking, which is even worse....

FOR GODS SAKE CAN'T YOU FEEL THAT YOU'RE HITTING THE WALL!? WAY TO F*CK UP THE PAINT JOB A$$HOLE!

Acutally, it's a pet peeve of mine when people place chairs so they are touching the baseboard or the wall. When I see that, and that the wall/baseboard behind it is in good shape, I will pull out the chair and inch or 2, feeling I am doing a random act of kindness.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Everyday things that make you nervous
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:46:40