Anti-Spyware Programs

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:15 am
For some time, I had been using the free programs Ad-Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy to control spyware. Well, this month in my PC World Magazine, there was an article which rated the spyware stoppers.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119572,pg,2,00.asp

My two freebees were downgraded, and CounterSpy was lauded as having the best spyware cleaning record. They list the things that they find by level of problem, from "low" to "severe".For instance, this is one of the things that I removed.

Quote:
PC Watch Personal Edition
Type: Surveillance
Author: RAC Solutions

Description: PC Watch personal edition is a keylogger.

Advice: This is a high risk threat and should be removed or quarantined as to prevent harm to your computer or your privacy.

Is something like this really serious? Is this program worth $20-?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DaFlukes

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:41 pm
Ad-ware/apy-ware/virus solution
Just get a mac. And All your computer problems will be fixed.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:30 am
Phoenix, no app is gonna be perfect. For what my advice may be worth, it is my feelin' that the freebie standards and common-sense good practice afford the strongest available defense.

My recommendation:

1) Keep your operating system, browser, email client, and chat/messaging client(s) fully updated and properly configured

2) Have and use both a fully updated, properly configured antivirus application and firewall

3) Turn off "Preview" in your email client, never open any attachment without scanning it first, and reject out-of-hand all unexpected, unexplained, attachments from unknown senders.

4) Have, understand, properly update, configure, and deploy at least 3 of the following (all freebies):

a- AdAware SE Personal
b- SpyBot Search & Destroy
c- Spyware Blaster (A preventer, not a scanner - works well in conjunction with - and recommended by - Spybot S&D)
d- Microsoft Antispyware (Win 2K and later only - not for Win 9x users)
e- Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (more for advanced users - scans and offers manual removal tips, does not remove anything itself)
f- A-Squared Free (Limited functionality, but often catches trojans, worms, bots, and dialers other apps miss)
g-WinPatrol Personal - (lotsa features, pretty effective. The dog is a bit much, though)
h- Any reputable HOSTS file (IE Spyad, HP Hosts, Dell Domains, etc)
i- Any reputable popup-blocking toolbar, such as A2K's own, Google's, MSN's, or Yahoo!'s

(The antispyware pages at Download.Com and MajorGeeks.Com are good sources for free and effective software. Be aware there are sound-alike rip-offs - be sure of what you're gettin' before gettin' it)

5) If you insist on p2p sharing (commonly used for free music/other media), carefully research any p2p client and/or download aid you may be considering, and save-and-scan all files downloaded via p2p before opening; yuckware bundled with popular p2p clients, download aids, and/or commonly accompanying many files available on popular p2p networks is a primary infection vector - all but universally found on heavily infested machines.

6) Use your head out there on the web; pay careful attention to whatever you're about to click on, and be extremely wary of any "click now for free whatever" offers

Of interest might be that the machine on which I do most of my browsin' is "protected" only by an antivirus, a firewall, and fully updated, properly configured operatin' system, browser, email client and chat/messagin' client - no specific antspyware/adware apps at all. I do have the "standards" on other machines, but primarily for reference, so I know whats up with 'em when I recommend 'em to other folks.

The whole reason yuckware is such a problem is that folks just don't take the time and effort to do the readilly available, no-cost things that would prevent yuckware from bein' a problem; while they may not consciously and intentionally invite it, not only do they do nothin' to deter it, they make it ridiculously easy for it to get in. The badguys aren't stupid; they exploit the stupid things folks do to make themselves easy prey.
0 Replies