Talking about Best American Short Stories

5600hp

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:18 pm
I've been wondering why isn't nobody talking about BEST American Short stories here?
I have read Best American Short Stories 1990,1995,1999,2000,2001, and am now reading 2002.

I found some stories very interesting, a few are hard to read (to me, in my opinion), some are a little bit boring and confusing................

More often than not , I couldn't understand what the author/writer trys to convey after reading a story, even though I "understand" every sentence. I mean I don't know why does a story end that way? What is the story "about"? How to read between the line? Or should I ?

I'm wondering which story or which BASS(s) that you think is the best one/(s)? (apart from BASSs of the Century, or maybe it should be included?)

And why do you like it?

Somethings always bother me when I'm reading stories , novels .... are that I don't understand any literary theory and what's "good writing" what's bad "writing", does that ignorance impede my understanding of literature? But does everyone have to be English major or literati to understand or "correctly" appreciate literature?

Do you have any story in mind that you think are underappreciated? Do you think some stories in BASSs don't deserve to be included? Why? (Give us a call , 1800.... just kidding! I'm a such radio junkie Very Happy )

We can talk about it here! Although I probably said all I have to say and all I can say, for now.

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 11
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:55 pm
Welcome to A2k. I hope you have a response. All the short stories I read are in The New Yorker. It's about all I have time for. My favorite writer is Annie Proulx
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:13 pm
Thanks panzade amigo, you're a great guy, I happen to have read your prof.. I think you could be a great translator or something , which I want to be one very much 'cause I'm worried about finding a job in the future....

I live in a shantytown in Europe, not being an American
but I'm fascinated by American culture........
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:19 pm
One of the essayist I like very much is EB White, he had a lot of essays published in New Yorker, I'm search for his children's books.

We don't have too much of a liberary or bookstore here, BASSs are the newest books I
can find, the rests are all dead writers for more than 50 years..... thank GOD there is this internet.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:21 pm
shantytown? Didn't know they had em in Europe
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:23 pm
Well, there are Europe and there are Europe....rich EU and poor EU.... but I don't wanna be specific...

Thanks for reply......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:32 pm
http://www.harperchildrens.com/authorintro/index.asp?authorid=10499

Dear Reader:

Many years ago I went to bed one night in a railway sleeping car, and during the night I dreamed about a tiny boy who acted rather like a mouse. That's how the story of Stuart Little got started.

As for Charlotte's Web, I like animals and my barn is a very pleasant place to be, at all hours. One day when I was on my way to feed the pig, I began feeling sorry for the pig because, like most pigs, he was doomed to die. This made me sad. So I started thinking of ways to save a pig's life. I had been watching a big grey spider at her work and was impressed by how clever she was at weaving. Gradually I worked the spider into the story that you know, a story of friendship and salvation on a farm. Three years after I started writing it, it was published. (I am not a fast worker, as you can see.)
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:03 am
Thanks , that's a good site...

I think I can find free books if I search hard enough, although that's a bit immoral on my part. Embarrassed
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:40 am
Since I was a wee bairn one of my favorite short stories was Robert Louis Stevenson's The Bottle Imp. Wonderful ending.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:38 am
Three which I had to read in school, but really enjoyed were:

1. My Kinsman, Major Molineux
by Nathaniel Hawthorne

2. A Good Man is Hard to Find
by Fannery O'Connor

3. Thus I Refute Beelzy
by John Collier
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:24 pm
Thanks Brandon...I'll look those up.
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:55 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Three which I had to read in school, but really enjoyed were:

2. A Good Man is Hard to Find
by Fannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor, I think.

That story is really engaging and surprising to me, although I'm still not sure what the author was trying to convey. There's no God? There is God?(but reviewers say she's very faithful) The world is full of danger and don't be a sucker of a good guy?
This is a cruel world?.......

Anyways, almost all stories by Flannery O'Connor are very surprising and....brutal sometimes, and leaves you a lot food for thought....
0 Replies