Are commas needed?

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 11:30 am
Newly released text messages showing anti-Trump FBI officials Peter Strzok and Lisa Page discussing a “media leak strategy” amid the Russia probe rekindled harsh criticism from President Trump of Justice Department and FBI leadership -- even as Strzok's attorney claimed the text merely referred to efforts to stop leaks.

Should there be a comma after officials and another after Page?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 815 • Replies: 7
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 12:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
Yes. The sentence refers to the specific anti-Trump FBI officials who discussed a media leak strategy.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 03:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Yes. The sentence refers to the specific anti-Trump FBI officials who discussed a media leak strategy.
Thanks.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 06:23 pm
I’d say the commas aren’t needed.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:42 pm
I'm confused. What is the correct answer?

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 03:59 pm
Here's an excerpt from Ben Yagoda's 2012 New York Times article, "The Most Comma Mistakes"

Quote:
Identification Crisis
If I’ve seen it once, I’ve seen it a thousand times. I’m referring to a student’s writing a sentence like:

I went to see the movie, “Midnight in Paris” with my friend, Jessie.

Comma after “movie,” comma after “friend” and, sometimes, comma after “Paris” as well. None are correct — unless “Midnight in Paris” is the only movie in the world and Jessie is the writer’s only friend. Otherwise, the punctuation should be:

I went to see the movie “Midnight in Paris” with my friend Jessie.

If that seems wrong or weird or anything short of clearly right, bear with me a minute and take a look at another correct sentence:

I went to see Woody Allen’s latest movie, “Midnight in Paris,” with my oldest friend, Jessie.

You need a comma after “movie” because this and only this is Mr. Allen’s newest movie in theaters, and before “Jessie” because she and only she is the writer’s oldest friend.

He goes on to explain the convention.
0 Replies

Aurora Maybe

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 06:24 pm
Commas are definitely NOT necessary or useful in your example.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 04:33 am
Look up essential and non-essential phrases.
Use commas only if the sentence makes perfect sense without the phrase within the commas.
Sometimes, the logic of the sentence requires the phrase, and commas are inappropriate.

Commas are wrong for the both featured sentences in this thread.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are commas needed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:20:54